New to site and Yes I have 04' 5.4 FX4 Crewcab

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to site and Yes I have 04' 5.4 FX4 Crewcab

Well, I recently bought an FX4 knowing full well that it has Cam Phaser/VCT Solenoid issue. It has 106K on it now. It will need the plugs changed also but I will do that once I get the almighty Diesel Engine fixed.

It runs good and no rough idle..so from what I've read it is probably not the VCT Solenoids. Is this correct in my thinking?

It does sound at op-temp like a diesel engine though. So I believe the Cam Phasers are the issue.

I could change the Solenoids myself and see if the problem is fixed. That's easy enough. But with 106K, aren't the phasers going to fail soon anyway if they haven't? I've never heard of them NOT failing it seems like.

The repair from my dealer is 1400 for all. Solenoids and Phasers. No new chain in that price or tensioners.

So I guess what I'm asking is...am I approaching this right? Also, when all is said and done. What oil and filter do you run in these trucks to hopefully not have future issues?

Old 01-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeje
Well, I recently bought an FX4 knowing full well that it has Cam Phaser/VCT Solenoid issue. It has 106K on it now. It will need the plugs changed also but I will do that once I get the almighty Diesel Engine fixed.

It runs good and no rough idle..so from what I've read it is probably not the VCT Solenoids. Is this correct in my thinking?

It does sound at op-temp like a diesel engine though. So I believe the Cam Phasers are the issue.

I could change the Solenoids myself and see if the problem is fixed. That's easy enough. But with 106K, aren't the phasers going to fail soon anyway if they haven't? I've never heard of them NOT failing it seems like.

The repair from my dealer is 1400 for all. Solenoids and Phasers. No new chain in that price or tensioners.

So I guess what I'm asking is...am I approaching this right? Also, when all is said and done. What oil and filter do you run in these trucks to hopefully not have future issues?

Phaser failure is not that common - many folks never experience it to failure ( although with some noise). This is a forum - it attracts folks with issues and may not be entirely indicative.

Having said that - this thread should have all the info you need: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ing-noise.html

IF you go this route - I'd strongly recommend doing chains, guides and above all, the tensioners. The job is not complete without it, in my view. DO NOT USE DORMAN COMPONENTS !!!

BTW - VCT solenoid updates are best done before noise becomes evident - as a preventative. After the fact, it's a crapshoot.

Oil & filter: Motorcraft Semi-Syn 5w-20 with a Motorcraft FL820S filter - both available at WallyMart.

BTW # 2: VCT limiters & full lockouts are available if you wanted to completely remove the risk factors ( and noise):

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...miter-Kit.html

MGD

PS: Some maint'nince info fer ye - lots to read ( linkies within linkies, lol): https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ml#post5106400

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-08-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Thanks - For 1400 I think I should just get it all done and not worry about if it is just the solenoids or Phasers. This way the Solenoids will be the new design and so will the Phasers. I plan to have the truck for close to forever since that's how I roll with vehicles. I wear them out.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Thanks - For 1400 I think I should just get it all done and not worry about if it is just the solenoids or Phasers. This way the Solenoids will be the new design and so will the Phasers. I plan to have the truck for close to forever since that's how I roll with vehicles. I wear them out.
If they are NOT also going to do the VCT solenoids, chains, guides or tensioners for that $1400, yer paying too much. And it's an incomplete job.

Go get another estimate. Or - do it yerself. None of it is rocket science.

Tensioners in particular ARE a real weak point - it they fail, the whole house of cards falls down. They've been redesigned as well. As have the guides.

Classic exercise in False Economy. If you are actually serious aboot keeping the truck 'forever' yer going about it wrong.... it makes the next best thing to ZERO sense to risk having to go back into the same part of the engine later on....

BTW - yer plugs are ~40K overdue fer replacement - revised schedule fer R&R is 60K. If you start to incur misfires, you risk serious downstream damage. I rather suspect yer potential list of neglected maintenance items is long - given ye don't seem to have a complete handle on what is still outstanding.

Originally Posted by you
I wear them out
. Reckon this will come to pass sooner rather than later

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-08-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Welcome

Old 01-08-2015, 02:05 PM
Thanks MGD - I think.
My issue with doing it myself is several. No place to do it for starters. No time to do it since I travel a lot for work.
An I have not found anyone willing to do the job for less. I'm in Central, IL.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:17 PM
Is there a definitive parts list of parts that need replaced to make this right?
Phasers, Chain, guide rails, tensioners, Solenoids and?

Old 01-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Thanks MGD - I think.
My issue with doing it myself is several. No place to do it for starters. No time to do it since I travel a lot for work.
An I have not found anyone willing to do the job for less. I'm in Central, IL.
Roger that.

We're good. I'm merely trying to convey the importance of exemplary maintenance on these trucks, in view of yer desire to keep this one as long as possible.

What about finding a competent independent shop, ordering all the components (from Tascaparts.com, etc), and having them do the install?

Rep fer Tasca: https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...chain-fix.html

Best of luck.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-08-2015 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:50 AM
I know you mean well MGD!

I did find someone yesterday that will help me do this project IF after talking to the dealership I can't get ALL of what needs replaced for the 1400. Like you said, and I agree, it ALL needs done if it's going to be done.
He's a buddy of mine that has done one on before and a former Ford Mech. Does his own thing now. So I stopped by his place last night and we talked and if I the dealer deal falls through for 1400 for all, then he and I will do the job. I should be able to talk to the Service writer tomorrow. I'll lay it all out there what I want. I know they get 11.3hrs for the whole job to do it all.
If he and I tackle it, we should be able to have it done in a weekend for sure.

Now, at the same time I have to get the 06 Escape AWD ltd all back into shape. It needs plugs changed, CV joint replaced & the junk 6 disc CD player broke last week, and I'm sure I'll find more once I open it this can of worms. Change all fluids as well. This is now my DD since the FX will stay in town and not rack miles.

Last edited by Markeje; 01-09-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Is there a definitive parts list of parts that need replaced to make this right?
Phasers, Chain, guide rails, tensioners, Solenoids and?
Parts lists in here: http://www.f150forum.com/f4/heres-pi...-marks-140876/

MGD

Quick Reply: New to site and Yes I have 04' 5.4 FX4 Crewcab