Have to replace '05 5.4L engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to replace '05 5.4L engine

Got the news today that my engine with just 66K miles is toast. I've spoken several times on here about the issues with the electric fans/controllers I've had. Went out Monday morning to start the truck for it to warm up (22 deg F outside) for about 15 min and returned to find the temp needle pegged on high, "reduced engine power" noted on the dash, check engine light on and idling roughly. Electric fans were NOT running for some unknown reason.

Costs for new engine replacement from local Ford dealer is approx. $7200 WITHOUT tax. I've located used 5.4 L engines for half the cost of a new one with reasonable mileage. I will also be returning to stock radiator fan/shroud/fan clutch which will cost more $$. Looking for a little direction if you guys have any to offer.

Milam

Old 12-12-2013, 01:00 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I'm not convinced your engine is beyond repair. I'd go get a second opinion. The CEL is *SUPPOSED* to come on when it overheats, and it's going to knock out every other cylinder alternately to KEEP it from blowing up.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah I'm with GLC you need a second on that one.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Local dealer told me that there is water and antifreeze leaking out of the engine. Not sure what that means

Old 12-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tmilam
Local dealer told me that there is water and antifreeze leaking out of the engine. Not sure what that means
^^^ ? ^^^

Neither do we. From where exactly, and how much? Pics?

Just reiterates what was said above - well worth a second independent opinion. Certianly given the potential expense ( and savings).

Overheating in cold temps, for 15 minutes, at idle with NO load will not typically grenade an engine with failsafe cooling, imho.

Good luck!

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 12-12-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by glc
I'm not convinced your engine is beyond repair. I'd go get a second opinion. The CEL is *SUPPOSED* to come on when it overheats, and it's going to knock out every other cylinder alternately to KEEP it from blowing up.
Now that's cool

Sorry to hear about the overheat

Old 12-23-2013, 10:06 AM
2nd opinion has affirmed the 1st that the engine must be replaced. Overall, looking like $7000 to make it happen. Merry Christmas

Old 12-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Former Sponsor
Not sure how much this helps in your current situation but if you had a little time to make it happen I could sell you a Ford reman for $3938.00 plus an $800.00 core charge.

There would likely be some shipping cost involved but no sales tax.

I'd even be willing to e-mail you a quote with the part number and price if you want to use it to try to negotiate their price down on the engine.

-Steve

Old 12-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Lots of dealerships quote engines when the vehicle needs head gaskets. Its a necessary evil that falls under CYA

Old 12-24-2013, 10:02 AM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Patman
Lots of dealerships quote engines when the vehicle needs head gaskets. Its a necessary evil that falls under CYA
There's a good reason for that, in order to do head gaskets they typically lift the cab off the truck to gain access and by the time you do that it's probably cheaper on the labor front to just replace the engine.

The other issue is warranty, if a dealership does head gaskets you get a 12 month parts warranty and possibly a 12 month labor warranty (depending on dealership policy) and that labor warranty is 100% on the dealership.

Buy a Ford reman and you get a three year, unlimited mileage parts and labor warranty that's covered by every Ford dealer in the country.

Pretty hard to beat that.

-Steve

Old 12-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Tasca Ford Parts
There's a good reason for that, in order to do head gaskets they typically lift the cab off the truck to gain access and by the time you do that it's probably cheaper on the labor front to just replace the engine.

The other issue is warranty, if a dealership does head gaskets you get a 12 month parts warranty and possibly a 12 month labor warranty (depending on dealership policy) and that labor warranty is 100% on the dealership.

Buy a Ford reman and you get a three year, unlimited mileage parts and labor warranty that's covered by every Ford dealer in the country.

Pretty hard to beat that.

-Steve
Answered my own question thanks

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 12-25-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Have to replace '05 5.4L engine