Ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ticking noise

I have a 98 Ford F150 4x4 5.4v8 the engine was rebuilt by me about 2 years ago all new parts top to bottom. My truck makes a loud ticking noise coming from the passenger side of engine this is the list of items Ive replaced so far lash adjusters, back 4 lifters (that is where the noise is the strongest using a stethoscope),oil filter, changed the oil to 5w30, checked oil pressure 60psi nearly all the time, exhaust manifold gasket on that side. I have a link to a video I made that I posted on YouTube not any responses yet I need help PLEASE

here is the url :

Last edited by 1998ford1504x4; 02-24-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First try changing the PCV valve, use a Motorcraft. Check that your sparkplugs are all tight as well.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 AM
Hey thanks for the reply but I have bought new plugs and changed the pcv valve too it makes me wonder is it bottom end or timing chain......

Old 02-28-2013, 10:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Probably going to have to pull the cam cover on that side and see what's going on. It's not misfiring is it, - running on all 8 right? Sounds like the lash adjusters. They're hydraulically pump up by oil pressure and take up the slack between the cam lobes and the cam followers. If the lash adjuster isn't pumping up fully, (might be some crap in there), - there will be a gap between the cam follower and the cam lobe, causing the follower to 'bounce' around each time the cam revolves and depresses/releases it. Yea, pull the cover and have a look see, - before it gets worse.

Doesn't sound like timing components IMO. Maybe the oil deflector that's pinned to the inside top of the cam cover came off. Other than that, -it sounds like the L Adjusters.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:05 AM
so far we pulled the valve cover off and used hose to pinpoint the noise. it was coming from cam chain the guide/tensioner seemed loose we put pressure on the chain while cranking(coil packs unplugged) and the noise was gone now we start the teardown of the front of the motor.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 AM
J brew I have replaced all lash adjusters on that side and there was no difference in sound you said something about (might be some crap in there) where would that be ? And yes it is running on all 8 no performance issues what so ever I'm stuck.....

Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by 1998ford1504x4
J brew I have replaced all lash adjusters on that side and there was no difference in sound you said something about (might be some crap in there) where would that be ? And yes it is running on all 8 no performance issues what so ever I'm stuck.....
I know, you said that. But you still need to check them. Sludge can build in a matter of seconds. Depends how you run the engine and what gets burned off naturally. If the engine doesn't run long enough to burn off moisture, you'll build sludge. A lot of it. It CAN screw a motor up eventually.

BTW, - They are CAM COVERS on the modulars. Use to be valve covers, way back when. That's pretty old school lol.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Cody631
so far we pulled the valve cover off and used hose to pinpoint the noise. it was coming from cam chain the guide/tensioner seemed loose we put pressure on the chain while cranking(coil packs unplugged) and the noise was gone now we start the teardown of the front of the motor.
Right, he's going to need to pop the cover and see. Unless it's the PCV valve. I've seen brand new PCV valve mimic a rod knock. Not kidding, sounds just like a rod knock until you install the correct valve. ONLY Motorcraft makes one unfortunately. Fram valves are the worst, -those being the valves that mimic a rod knock. They're valve margins are way to small, -the engine can't breath and makes strange noises lol. Anyway, Dynotech already tried to tell him, but he didn't confirm a Motorcraft valve, so I doubt he'll be helping further.

No coil packs on the 5.4L's, there never was. That's a 4.6L thing. 5fours use COP systems.

Since he posted on You Tube, he's probably counting answers and is going with the majority anyway or looking for one he likes most. He's not really interested in fixing it, since he hasn't confirmed already given good advice. So, I'm out as well.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-03-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:44 AM
WOW didn't know you guys take offense to so little info yes your right they are cop coil over plugs you got your gold star for today and yes it is a MOTORCRAFT pcv valve and yes I posted it awhile ago on youtube before stumbling on this website lastly I work for a living and cant be on this site for hours on end like some of you lastly yes I want to get this fixed

Old 03-03-2013, 02:33 AM

WOW didn't know you guys take offense to so little info yes your right they are cop coil over plugs you got your gold star for today and yes it is a MOTORCRAFT pcv valve and yes I posted it awhile ago on youtube before stumbling on this website lastly I work for a living and cant be on this site for hours on end like some of you lastly yes I want to get this fixed
First and last, - it's like I've already said. Exactly. Shove that gold star up your whatnot. I like cookies anyways.

Your a shiny one. Who the watches You Tube ? I guess you do, - good luck with that. Don't affiliate us with your habit, it's a bad one for answers. Might as well lurk there. Somebody will most likely get it right, - not that you'll ever know lol.

Last edited by jbrew; 03-03-2013 at 02:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:11 AM
So let me get this straight your upset with the way I look for answers or other ideas regarding my vehicle. Because I posted the video on you tube before coming here to listen to you cry like a 4 year old no one else is complaining but you JBREW. you don't like you tube don't watch the video then you don't have to be an as$hole. of course you like cookies.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM

So let me get this straight your upset with the way I look for answers or other ideas regarding my vehicle. Because I posted the video on you tube before coming here to listen to you cry like a 4 year old no one else is complaining but you JBREW. you don't like you tube don't watch the video then you don't have to be an as$hole. of course you like cookies.
Nope. Because you only half answered Dynotechs question, - the other half was the important part - as I said. Then you came back with that you have answered his question on You Tube lol. Like we are all suppose to be monitoring your You -Tube

Now your being and have been a smart ace about everything. That's real smart, your going places... Your attitude is really helping with your problem isn't it ? Think real hard about that.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:14 PM
If you were as smart as you think you would have read the part yes I did change the pcv valve and bought brand new plugs did I not respond to his reply right after do I have to say its a MOTORCRAFT too. maybe you as bright as you are should have watched the video

Last edited by Bluejay; 03-04-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:50 PM

If you were as smart as you think you would have read the part yes I did change the pcv valve and bought brand new plugs did I not respond to his reply right after do I have to say its a MOTORCRAFT too. maybe you as bright as you are should have watched the video idiot
And you say I'm the idiot

BTW, - who's doing the crying here?

Yeah, -

Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Ok guys. That's enough of the name calling and bickering. Time to let it go.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise