Is the Fram oil filter no good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the Fram oil filter no good?

I have heard that the Fram oil filter for Ford F150`s is no good. What is the real story here? Mike

Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Above you will find a link that is titled "SEARCH". Click that and type in "FRAM". You will then get a wealth of information on that paticular filter.

It has been said over and over again, FRAM is not a good filter for our F-150's, NOR ANY OTHER FOR THAT MATTER.

Stick with the Motorcraft and your golden.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stick with wix. Napa and carquest both are wix filters that are rebaged as their own. I dont know about all fram filters but I know some dont have the anti drain back so after sitting over night the oil drains out of the filter, making for a "dry" start.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fram is also known as the Orange Can of Death. But seriously, its cheaply priced for a reason, its not as well made as the Motorcraft. You are much better off with the Motorcraft, Wix, Purolator, Mobil 1, or K&N oil filters.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
How about the Radioactive Orange Can of Death. - Yea ,their junk.

Here's one list.

Filters To Avoid

The following list of filters have known problems. You will see well-known names here and will probably be disappointed. This is because many of these brands have stopped making their own filters and buy from a common manufacturer.

Fram Extra Guard

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circuilating through my system. The oil passge to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

Fram Double Guard

Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram. The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra Guard, but still uses the same filter element. It has a silicone anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure releif valve, and enough inlet holes for good flow. The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the Slick 50 craze. They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like that found in Slick 50. As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not belong in an engine. It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can and therefore does nothing. Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up filtering the Teflon right out. Dupont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines. Please do not waste your money on this filter.

Penzoil

This filter is a Fram! It is the exact same design as the Fram Extra Guard filter and it is junk. On the up side, it costs $1 less than the Fram version.

Quaker State

This is another Fram Extra Guard that I have seen at K-mart. It used to be a Purolator, but Quaker State is now owned/controlled by Penzoil...

Last edited by jbrew; 02-24-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM
Hmmmmm......never had a problem with ANY Fram filter. Have used them for over 30 years. Have an '86 Toyota 4X4 with over 434K miles. Used nothing but Fram filters.

I guess it'll blow up any day now?

As far as the F150? Motorcraft is cheaper than the Fram. I like cheaper.

OK, back to quilting.

Last edited by jward; 02-24-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Junk.

i use to use them on everything here, now im slapping my dads hands to keep him from buying them since the MC filter @ walmarts the exact same price.

even though i kinda feel bad for my dad because that sure grip makes it easier on his wore out hands.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:42 PM
Use the Motorcraft, it's only like 3-4 bucks at Wally World.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:10 AM
Stay away from Fram. As mentioned before, you can get a much higher quality filter for a reasonable price if you just go to Wal-Mart and pick up one of the Motorcraft ones. As far as I'm concerned, Fram is just a company that is relying on their name and putting very little effort towards producing a quality product.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jward
Hmmmmm......never had a problem with ANY Fram filter. Have used them for over 30 years. Have an '86 Toyota 4X4 with over 434K miles. Used nothing but Fram filters.

I guess it'll blow up any day now?

As far as the F150? Motorcraft is cheaper than the Fram. I like cheaper.

OK, back to quilting.

Says something about Toyota, rather than Fram. If that Toyota could survive that many miles using one of the worst filters built- I'd go play the lottery first thing in the morning if I were you!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Ok.

How about 353K+ on a Dodge pickup? 330K+ on a Nissan Pathfinder? 212K+ on my wifes Honda Ody(and more to go, hopefully)? 370k+ on my old '77 Celica(so it's anothe Toyota)? 180K+ on a Chevy S10?

All owned by me, all used Fram filters.

I ain't telling you to use them, ya'll are grown ladies, I'm just relaying my personal experience with them. Not something I read, or copy and pasted, off the internet.

I'd advise all to use what they have confidence in. Whatever they cost.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:11 AM
I use to use fram filters to and never had a problem with them ..But i switched when i heard how bad they were... I live in florida where is ussaly warm.... A lot of pepole who live in the colder climates have had trouble with fram on cold start up ...I hear about it all the time.... Best filters Mobil 1...K&N...Motorcraft....Amsoil....Good filters....AC Delco Wix ..Pure one.....Crap....Fram...Bosch...Pennzzoil...Quaker. ..

Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by jward
Ok.

How about 353K+ on a Dodge pickup? 330K+ on a Nissan Pathfinder? 212K+ on my wifes Honda Ody(and more to go, hopefully)? 370k+ on my old '77 Celica(so it's anothe Toyota)? 180K+ on a Chevy S10?

All owned by me, all used Fram filters.

I ain't telling you to use them, ya'll are grown ladies, I'm just relaying my personal experience with them. Not something I read, or copy and pasted, off the internet.

I'd advise all to use what they have confidence in. Whatever they cost.
The way I understand it, the problem of a Fram on a Ford is the anti-drainaback valve or tube that is made of cardboard in a Fram. It can collapse, making it non funtional. Do the vehicles you named use the same system? Also, I think you could use Fram on a Ford and maybe never have a problem, but if you did have one collapse, it could be major trouble.

Just curious about the other vehicles. Plus, since all I own is Fords, no reason to take a chance.

Last edited by Bluejay; 02-26-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Mr. Jay, Fram is a Fram. 'Course, as Mr. Brewer showed in the above post, there are different models. I've always used the cheapest that I could find for the vehicle it was to be used on. A few of the vehicles I mentioned have the filter mounted on the motor just like our F150s. A few mounted slightly different. No matter, I've never had a problem with the media or anti drain back valves Fram uses. On my Toyota truck, it mounts just as the Ford. Never heard any starnge noises on startup.

I would not worry about using a Fram, or any other, on my F150. However, Motorcraft is readily available and cheaper than the model Fram that it calls for. So, Motorcraft on the Ford.

Also, it may be worthy of mention, but all my vehicles, except the Ford have only Castrol(dino) oil run through them. I do run the Motorcraft 5W20 in the Ford. All oil changes were done at 3K miles, except the Ford and Honda of which I go 5K. Just makes it easier to glance at the odo and know when they're do.

My personal experience and don't expect anyone to their preference. Fram gets a bad rap here and I'm just sharing my firsthand experience with their products.

Use what you want is my advise.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, I don't even argue with jward anymore. Just when you think your getting somewhere with him - it falls out the other side.

I am curious about one thing tho - What's the motor count per vehicle?

Fram did supposably make a good oil filter back in the day. I like a person who stands his ground , But! That company had really gotten cheap + there is NO regard to OEM specifications. Fram can't even make a PCV valve with the right margins for **** sakes. Their air filter cones fall off the ****** intake filters ,- gives the motor a healthy dose of whatnots.... If you trusted these guys at one time j, time to realize they don't give a frogs fart who's in their corner anymore. -Specially the general public. They got ugly man. : )

Last edited by jbrew; 02-26-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the Fram oil filter no good?