Is the Fram oil filter no good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've personally never chanced using a Fram on my truck, but weren't some people on this board getting loud clunking/ticking noises on startup with their 3V 5.4's? I thought there were, and once they switched to a different filter the noise stopped. This was attributed to the Fram anti drainback valve.

Maybe I'm mistaken.

Personally, I've only ever used Motorcraft or Wix Premium oil filters.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:04 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
I've personally never chanced using a Fram on my truck, but weren't some people on this board getting loud clunking/ticking noises on startup with their 3V 5.4's? I thought there were, and once they switched to a different filter the noise stopped. This was attributed to the Fram anti drainback valve.

Maybe I'm mistaken.

Personally, I've only ever used Motorcraft or Wix Premium oil filters.
Yes, there were a few that reported that experience.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:35 PM
What's the motor count per vehicle, brew? All original.

In fact, from reading your many posts here, I'd sumise that you've spent more money on parts for your '98 F150 than I've spent on ALL my vehicles put together.

I ain't advertising for Fram nor trying to get you to buy their products, but there's alot of misinformation and unwarrarnted ridicule of Fram products here. In my 30+ years of using them, I've not had a single problem relating to Fram. And from what I've read here, I put more miles on any of my vehicles than most will put on the truck they have right now.

The brewmiester has had one Fram PCV valve cause what he believes to be a problem and is the one man crusader to save the people from all Fram products.

Spend your money on what you want.

Brewbuddy, I ain't argueing, just stating my experience. Everyone here can take that as they want. Ain't no money out of my pocket.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
The issue with most Fram oil filters is the cardboard end caps that the filtering media is glued to. I've personally seen these filters come out of the box where the media missed the glue line and would not have filtered the oil at all. They also use a rubber anti-drain back valve that seals against cardboard and are known to leak.
Jward, while you can say you've never had a bad Fram have you ever cut any of them open? If not, then how would you know. You may have had several bad ones but because the engine didn't crater they must have been alright. That's kinda the ostrich approach to car maintenance. I'm not going to tell you to quit using them but I'd suggest starting to inspect every one you take off including cutting it open. You might surprise yourself one day. Most of the vehicles you listed as high mileage examples don't depend on the anti-drain back valve like the Ford design Tritons. The valve is the life blood of these engines at start up. And if the valve train has to wait for the pump to fill the filter and then make it's way to the gallerys, you have a recipe for short engine life and valve/cam train failures. Your truck, your money.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:30 PM
This is good !!! Even if you forget about the anti drain back valve problems they have...There still listed as the worst filter... There made buy a company that dosnt know s--t about oil filters... Its just the name fram that sells the filters... Check it out for your self...Then when you got something that says how good they are you can give all us a a bunch of ******

Old 02-27-2009, 08:34 AM
"Jward, while you can say you've never had a bad Fram have you ever cut any of them open? If not, then how would you know. You may have had several bad ones but because the engine didn't crater they must have been alright. That's kinda the ostrich approach to car maintenance. I'm not going to tell you to quit using them but I'd suggest starting to inspect every one you take off including cutting it open"

You must be joking? Cut open the filter? After well over a million miles on my vehicles?

"That's kinda the ostrich approach to car maintenance."

Hun, you don't get the miles I've put on my vehicles by taking the "ostrich" approach to maintenance. Are you even comprehending what I've written?

"Most of the vehicles you listed as high mileage examples don't depend on the anti-drain back valve like the Ford design Tritons."

Name one? I can find no reliable info on that. I know for a fact the Toyota does, and after all those miles, no problems.

Let's just end this, use what you want. You've got oil to analyze and I've got miles to drive.

Last edited by Bluejay; 02-27-2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Please do not circumvent the language filter
Old 02-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by mikerosi
I have heard that the Fram oil filter for Ford F150`s is no good. What is the real story here? Mike

Mike,

The real story here is that Fram should not be used on anything.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm probably one of the few that will use FRAM considering they've never done anything to my or family/friends cars etc. In my mind, FRAM comes from the same grouping as Autolite, which is a no-no here too. Ask on other forums about Autolite plugs, they are best. Who knows till something happens. I've used only Motorcraft, FRAM and Quaker-state filters on my truck, one no better than the other IMO. Whatever noises are there happen regardless. I am a bit concerned because it's not the first I've heard of bad filters, just never experienced it. If you question it this much, go with WIX or Motorcraft, play it safe.

Is FRAM not from Honeywell, which encompasses Autolite, Allied Signal, Motorcraft and some more?

Old 02-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Yes fram is from Honeywell... There bussiness is making airconditioning filters & insulation...They dont make autolite spark plugs.or motorcraft oil filters...There not in the automotive bussiness... I guess thats why fram filters dont do well in testing...That would be my guess ..

Old 02-27-2009, 09:30 PM
I just thought i would throw in on this conversation that my 2001 screw w/5.4 had noisy clatter startups w/fram and factory motorcraft 5W20 blend i did my research and found a thread about anti drainback valve and switched to motorcraft on next oil change and it went away..I also for proof of what people said cut open the fram after and was surprised at the poor guts..the next oil change i cut the motorcraft open and saw a much better quality inards...dont know if it will make a difference in the long run.... prior to this i have put a few fox mustangs almost to 200,000 miles before selling them with fram there whole life didnt burn a drop and quiet start ups...i now take the f150 to dealer for oil changes so i dont have to dispose of so much oil..and less mess...P.S. if you want a vehicle that will take you into 500,000 mile club i have a 87 mercedes 300 diesel with over 400,000 still going strong with original unrebuilt engine and auto trans that is impressive german engineering..

Arlo

Old 02-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
Mike,

The real story here is that Fram should not be used on anything.

Thanks Guys. I bought the motorcraft filter and the 5-20 blend and thats what I `ll be sticking with. Mike

Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mikerosi
Thanks Guys. I bought the motorcraft filter and the 5-20 blend and thats what I `ll be sticking with. Mike
Glad you were able to cut thru the garbage posts in this thread Mike.

Also, keep this in mind when it comes to maintenance and you shouldn't have any problems with her in doing so. -

Old 02-28-2009, 04:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just picked up my new 09 250 5.4 yesterday and nothing fram is ever going to be put in that...motocraft and thats it.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:38 AM
I thought the problem with fram was no pressure relief valve which would cause the motor to get no oil if the filter became clogged....dirty oil is better than no oil.

Doesnt matter, the motocraft filter is designed for our trucks so how could anything be better?

I did switch my oil at the last change from motocraft 5w20 to valvoline max life 5w20

Old 03-01-2009, 04:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jward
What's the motor count per vehicle, brew? All original.

In fact, from reading your many posts here, I'd sumise that you've spent more money on parts for your '98 F150 than I've spent on ALL my vehicles put together.

I ain't advertising for Fram nor trying to get you to buy their products, but there's alot of misinformation and unwarrarnted ridicule of Fram products here. In my 30+ years of using them, I've not had a single problem relating to Fram. And from what I've read here, I put more miles on any of my vehicles than most will put on the truck they have right now.

The brewmiester has had one Fram PCV valve cause what he believes to be a problem and is the one man crusader to save the people from all Fram products.

Spend your money on what you want.

Brewbuddy, I ain't argueing, just stating my experience. Everyone here can take that as they want. Ain't no money out of my pocket.

Somebodys gotta buy those dogcrap filters to keep that company in business, may as well be you jward.
Have you ever done a search on Fram failures? I can clearly remember 2 separate cases on the Ford truck forums (may have both been on this forum) where people with '04-up F-150's had to have engine replacements because the Freaking Fram filters came apart and clogged the oil galleys and did enough damage they had to do engine replacements. In one case I believe they showed the owner what caused it but let Ford replace it and I believe the other case the guy had to eat a new engine. You can have your Fram, I got smart enough a long time ago to quit using them. Back beyond that I can only claim ignorance.

Quick Reply: Is the Fram oil filter no good?