power steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering

hello everybody im new to this forum.i have been reading alot of posts here and they are pretty interesting. i just bought a 99 f-150 last month. i like it alot but just last week the service engine turned on is this the same thing as check engine light? one more ? when i turn the steering wheel a wierd sound comes on even when i driving.can someone please show some light on this.THANK YOU GUYS

Old 01-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
There the same - it's also called a MIL -Malfunction Indicator Lamp. You can go to Auto Zone and have them pull the code for free to find your problem.. As far as your Power Steering - never heard of that happening- what kind of sound?

Old 01-08-2007, 09:41 PM
it sound if im very low on power steering fluide but i checked it and its fine

Old 01-08-2007, 10:09 PM
My 01 SuperCrew does the same thing, it sounds like a loud humming. Its continious, if im turning the wheel to the left or right or if I hold it to the left or right. Checked the steering cable and check for rubbing but found nothing and fluid is good...any ideas?

Old 01-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Well , if dirty - Extract three quarters of the fluid from your PS's resivoir, replace with new. Drive it atleast 50 miles , repeat procedure.. Do this 4 or 5 times to clean your system up..

Don't extract more than 3/4 of the resivoir tank at a time , you don't want to get any air there, It's a pain in the a^^ to burp it..

Depending on how much damage is done already , you could still have a little noise. However, this will quiet it down quite a bit if your fluid was dirty ...

If your fluids clean , you can try additives - theres a few out there that's been succesfull in the past - If I recall , I think Lucas makes a good one. You'll have to use a syringe and extract , then replace with a good additive that's made for this.. Ask your auto supplier.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-09-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by zacatecas
one more ? when i turn the steering wheel a wierd sound comes on even when i driving.can someone please show some light on this.THANK YOU GUYS
My 99 has had the power steering sound (sort of a "rushing" or "squishing") since mile 0. 70k miles later and no leaks, failed pump, or anything else. I can't say you are hearing the same thing, but if it would make you feel better, stop by a ford store and ask them to take a quick listen.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:10 PM
If you dont want to keep adding fluid and draining it over and over, ford has a pump that I believe hooks to the return line of the pump and drains the old fluid as it adds new fluid. Flushes the entire system. It will run you about $80 though.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:36 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Classic ford PS pump right there. If it bothers you too much, swap the pump.

I tried my luck with a junkyard pump for 20bucks after the '92 sounded like there was a small child in boiling oil under the hood.

Only took a few hours and pretty simple on the older trucks, don't know about the tritons though.

Adrianspeeder

Quick Reply: power steering