[PRETTY URGENT] Is this what's called a blown spark plug?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[PRETTY URGENT] Is this what's called a blown spark plug?

I drove from 0 to about 35MPH, revving it, at 3,500K RPM, and heard a POOF! like a tire blew out and then the engine started chugging like an old-time locomotive. I pulled over and noticed that the part under which the spark plugs are is loose and when I push it down, the chugging stops or lessens.

The spark plug nest in question is second from the front, passenger side (#7?)

I pulled it out, spark plug came out; the 'front' two (out of ten or so) turns of the thread were damaged.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
What year truck and what motor ?

Old 12-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol BREW whats that matter? the plug is out and bouncing around in your hands correct?

Old 12-19-2006, 02:24 AM
F150 2002 4.6L V8
80k mi

Old 12-19-2006, 02:31 AM
That would be #6, and it sounds like it may have just backed out on ya. That can happen if it wasn't tightened when it was installed for some reason.

If it blew, the COP would probably be dangling off the wire somewhere, and you'd be lucky to even find the plug.

Get a new plug and install it. If it spit the plug, you won't be able to tighten it. It will just spin in the hole.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:34 AM
Since it's a 4.6 I highly doubt its a blown plug.

Old 12-19-2006, 02:37 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by SlammaJamma
Since it's a 4.6 I highly doubt its a blown plug.
x2

Old 12-19-2006, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Klitch
lol BREW whats that matter? the plug is out and bouncing around in your hands correct?

Hey I was here first and she could have a six - go harvest some tatertots Idaho

Could be bad news Fordgirl - There's all kinds of write-ups on this . Look up "Spark plug blow out" - Type it like that , but search the forum , there's three diff search areas here , make sure you search this forum for best results . Look to the right on the engines page - put the mouse over forums , choose search this forum from menus - it's on the right of the engines page .

You'll have to time-cert to replace the threads in the head if damaged, if it's just the plug that's damaged - then you lucked out and can fix yourself.

If not so lucky, some may do it while the head remains attached(wouldn't cost as much) but most won't fix it without pulling the head off the motor.

It derives from an improper plug change - although others have argued, boils down to if your plugs aren't installed following the correct procedure - this can happen.

Don't blame yourself totally if you installed, the manufacturer and dealerships as well have failed to do this properly in the past according to write ups within this forum. Ford supposedly didn't leave enough threads in the heads according to past complaints which doesn't make the task any easier.

Your going to have to take it in if the threads in the head are damaged and it can be very costly. I suggest you search this one out for more alternatives and learn what others have done in solving this same issue.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-19-2006 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Hey I was here first and she could have a six - go harvest some tatertots Idaho
hmm. oh snap?

actually there was a post made last week that has the link to the time cert site, which would be a little helpful because they have a video that demonstrates how the process works.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Klitch
hmm. oh snap?

actually there was a post made last week that has the link to the time cert site, which would be a little helpful because they have a video that demonstrates how the process works.

Just pullin your leg Klitch

Fordgirl , keep us posted ,thanx.

Good Luck

Old 12-19-2006, 08:52 AM
what in the world is a COP???? i read in a nother forum that some one preshure washed there engine and dried it out so how am i to clean my engine? thanks

Old 12-19-2006, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by csf150
what in the world is a COP???? i read in a nother forum that some one preshure washed there engine and dried it out so how am i to clean my engine? thanks

You have 97 - 97's didn't have the COP(coil over/on plug) systems unless you have a 5.4L.

Regardless, if stick a hose on your motor , you'll be back. Sensitive motors when it comes to moisture. Don't do it , unless you want headaches. You don't need too. Anyting that gets wet that should't may surge,short,ground - you don't want that to happen with these ignition systems. Been there done that . Do a search in the engines forum , read all about it.

putty knife , squirt bottle , don't get a wire or connecter wet.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey Jbrew, how's it going?

This is funny, because I've got another thing I've done to my truck and have had no issues with that you disagree with!!

I've washed my engine a couple of times in the 5 years I've owned it... It's been several years since the last washing, but it has not been as bad as this either...

When I finished up, it looked like this....

The only thing I will NOT do next time is apply the tire shine stuff... Sure, it looks great when it's fresh, but it attracts dust like a magnet! I've since wiped it down with a rag many times, but have not 'washed' it again.... It's due for a wash again, but I'm going to wait until summer.

All you have to do is cover the alt and use a pressure washer... Yes, a pressure washer! The trick is to keep the tip about 2 feet away from the engine and don't stop moving the wand... A PW at 2' is only a mist of water, but enough to rinse off the degreaser or whatever you spray on the engine to 'loosen' the grim... If you use a hose with a full stream of water on, you WILL drown an engine!! If you don't believe me, hold an open hose end over a bucket for a few seconds and see how much water collects... Do the same thing with a PW held at 2' away and you will see the huge different in volume of water in the bucket!

Just my experience with doing it....

Mitch

Oh, Forgirl18, all I can say for your plug is if it was the second from the front on the passenger side, I think that's the #2 plug??

Like was said above, try to thread in the plug and if it tightens down, you should be fine. If it spins in the socket, then you are SOL...

Good luck!

Mitch

Last edited by MitchF150; 12-19-2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Back to Fordgirl, as far as what # the plug is, it's #2. Ford has always done front to back 1-4 on pass side, then 5-8 on driver side. Just a little info, doubt it helps or matters in this case unless you have to buy a new C.O.P or injector. Hope you figure out the problem, very important not to strip the threads as someone has done here in the past it seems.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:31 AM

Hey triton , Dannggg , you F'ed up and I didn't catch it , that is #2 -LMAO

who's your editor?

Quick Reply: [PRETTY URGENT] Is this what's called a blown spark plug?