2011 FX4 tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 FX4 tranny issues

I have a 2011 FX4 5.0 with around 6000mi that is experiencing tranny problems. It seems to only happen the first time trough the gears once you put it in drive. The truck will start accelerating then acts as if it slips out of gear. The RPMs will jump up and the truck will start slowing. The first time that this happened I attempted to manualy downshift the truck using the buttons on the side of the shifter but that nor shifting to manual mode worked. I restarted the truck and it worked properly again. It has happened 4 or 5 times since then but each of these times i could correct the issue by shifting to park then back to drive. The transmission also does not always shift into reverse correctly either, once a week or so the transmission will not go into reverse and you must shift back into park then back to reverse. I have thought that it may be the shifter linkage out of adjustment but that does not explain the truck not shifting into manual mode. I would like to know if anyone may have seen this issue or may have some input. Thanks

Last edited by FX4 GA; 12-05-2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
That is not normal, I would get it in to be checked out.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's under warranty,take it to Ford.Let them know about it.It shouldn't be doing it.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:02 PM
I took it to the dealership today and got an appointment set up for next week. The guy scheduling the appointment seemed to think it may be an issue with not allowing the truck to warm up enough before driving. It would seem to me that the transmission should not slip out of gear regardless of if it has warmed up or not. I live in Georgia and this has happened in temps ranging from 60 to 100 degrees so its not like the transmission fluid is extremely cold. Maybe they will find something when a service tech looks into it next week.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Let Ford know about it ASAP and bring the truck in.....

Old 12-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fail.....

Originally Posted by FX4 GA
I took it to the dealership today and got an appointment set up for next week. The guy scheduling the appointment seemed to think it may be an issue with not allowing the truck to warm up enough before driving. It would seem to me that the transmission should not slip out of gear regardless of if it has warmed up or not. I live in Georgia and this has happened in temps ranging from 60 to 100 degrees so its not like the transmission fluid is extremely cold. Maybe they will find something when a service tech looks into it next week.
Sounds like that guy needs to go back to UTI.....temp* my ****....

Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hopefully the techs there know more than that dufas......he passed the buck on you temporarily.....

Old 12-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Yeah I got the feeling maybe that was why he was setting up appointments and not actually working in the shop. He also didn't understand that the plus and minus buttons on the shifter would do anything if the truck was in drive. He thought that they only worked if the truck was in manual shift mode. I had show him on the truck to convince him otherwise.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Sounds as if you have some sticky valves.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
The guy scheduling the appointment seemed to think it may be an issue with not allowing the truck to warm up enough before driving.
You need to realize that the guy who's job it is to schedule appointments usually has that job because that's all he can handle. He is WAY out of his element diagnosing the transmission. What he said makes ZERO sense.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:50 AM
The dealership has had the truck for two days and they say that they are not able to recreate the problem and there are no codes saved to they cannot find the issue. I was told I needed to pick my truck up and bring it back to them when it is acting up. I'm not sure how they would like me to do this considering the transmission will not go into gear when it is acting up. I went back to the dealership and spoke with the service manager and shop foreman. They are keeping it again and supposedly calling to speak with Ford engineers about the issue. Maybe they can find something.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:58 PM
My truck has now been back to the dealership 3 separate times but had the same result each time, They say that there is nothing that they can do if they cannot recreate the issue. the only thing that has been done is a reflash. The truck has not slipped out of gear while driving for about 2 months but continues randomly not shift into drive or reverse. It has gotten stuck in first gear several times as well and had to be restarted so that it would shift correctly. I am at a loss with this issue. I am going to take it to a different dealership to get a second opinion, maybe something useful will come from that.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:40 PM
I still have not gotten to the bottom of the transmission issues with my truck. I have called several dealerships and they all say that they are not able to do any repairs without recreating the issue which they have not been able to do up to this point. I was able to get a video of the truck at a point that it was stuck in first gear and would not shift. I am now working with Ford Customer Support in Michigan and hopefully I can get somewhere with them. I don't know what is happening with this transmission but any ideas that someone has will be greatly appreciated. Sorry that the video is not better quality.

http://youtu.be/lI-sSKgrCqQ

Quick Reply: 2011 FX4 tranny issues