Tranny slipping

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny slipping

I have a 2000 f150 4x4 with a 5.4l v8 and a automatic transmission. My trans mission slips out of gear at least once a day. What happens is i will take off and get to about 40 to 50 mph and my tac will go to 3000 rpm. then the tranny slips out of gear and the engine reves. Any one out their have this problem or have any sugestions as to what to do. My fluid leveal is good. And like I said it does not do it all the time. For the most part the truck shifts great.

Old 03-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Re: Tranny slipping

Originally posted by ecco5
I have a 2000 f150 4x4 with a 5.4l v8 and a automatic transmission. My trans mission slips out of gear at least once a day. What happens is i will take off and get to about 40 to 50 mph and my tac will go to 3000 rpm. then the tranny slips out of gear and the engine reves. Any one out their have this problem or have any sugestions as to what to do. My fluid leveal is good. And like I said it does not do it all the time. For the most part the truck shifts great.
I've seen problems similar to that, when it "slips out of gear" is it just momentary or will the truck actually stop moving? -John

Old 03-17-2003, 09:43 PM
the transmission will just slip out of gear. I have to slow down or let the rpms drop before it will engage agine. Its a real weird thing because the truck will drive fine for about 20 miles or so then it will slip theb be fine for another 20 miles.

Old 03-18-2003, 07:16 AM
While it is diffecult to determine without actually driving your truck, a common cause of this type of symptom is a computer that is commanding 1st gear at highway speed- which feels just like the trans neutralizing. The most common causes of this are a speed sensor "drop out" or a faulty manual lever position switch, both of these items can make the computer want to command 1st gear. It is easy to diagnose with a scanner, you will see the anomaly in the data stream. It could very well be something else, but this is my best guess without actually being there. -John

Old 03-18-2003, 06:37 PM
had the truck on the scanner today. No trouble codes could be found. we drove the truck with the scanner on and of course the truck does not do it. The shop is going to try driving the truck tomarrow to see if it will do it. if it does not do it I dont know what to do. Does ford have a better scanner that can detect better.

Old 03-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I'd replace the Transmission Range Sensor. As they start to fail they will cause this symptom randomly. I once drove an instrumented van trying to duplicate this. I drove over 500 miles before it finally happened once, for about two seconds.

I normally don't like replacing parts without a good diagnosis, but these sensors are VERY hard to diagnose until a total failure happens. The bad part about that is all the shifting in and out of gear can fail the transmission before the sensor fails!!!!!

Old 03-19-2003, 05:48 PM
had truck on the scanner today and of course no problems. Going to try it one more time tomarrow, and hopefully it does something. if not i am going to try to replace the range sensor and hopefully that does it. If not is their any other sugestions as to what to do.

Old 03-20-2003, 09:31 PM
Replaced the range sensor today, going to drive for a while to see if that stops the problem.

Old 03-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Well was driveing the truck today and the problem still exist. I drive on the highway for a while and when i exit the problem starts. I will get to about 40 mph and then it goes out of gear and the tack goes fro 2200 to 4000, i have to let the rpms go down in order for it to enguage. I now know that the range sensor is not the problem what else could it be.

Old 03-27-2003, 03:41 PM
Well I drove the truck today with it being on the scanner. I got a 0782 error code saying 2-3 shift error. Any ideas as to what will cause this.

Old 03-27-2003, 07:24 PM
Code P0782 indicates:
2 - 3 Shift Malfunction
Probable Cause: Wiring, Mechanical Fault

There is actually a TSB for this code and issue.

A/T - 4R70W TCIL ON/Code P0782/Delayed/No 2-3 Upshift
Article No.
99-18-5

If engine rpm does not drop when the PCM commands third gear, then replace the 2-3 accumulator piston using the revised Accumulator Piston (F7AZ-7H292-AB).
Because of the year of your truck, technically it is not covered by this TSB. But, these are the same symptoms.

I had a similar problem with my 1997 4R70W a few months ago. Cleaning the wiring harness and replacing the 2-3 accumulaton piston cleared the code and fixed the slipping 2-3 shift.

The wiring harness is mounted vertically on the passenger side of the transmission and the 2-3 accumulator piston is inside the transmission, behind the valve body.

It may just be the wiring harness. Because it is mounted vertically, water can collect in there and corrode the terminals.

Quick Reply: Tranny slipping