Alignment shop seems to be very wrong, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Alignment shop seems to be very wrong, please help

Good evening,

I took my truck in for an alignment last week at Goodyear. After about an hour they called and said to get my caster alignment right they'd need to install a bolt kit and it would run $123 installed. Looking at what they installed it didn't seem they installed the notched portion in the hole they were supposed to but they did say alignment was way off so I assumed that had to be that way. Driving the truck home I noticed I and to have the steering wheel turned quite a bit to the right to keep it straight in the road or it'd drive quickly to the left. I took the truck back to the shop and they made more changes. Now I have to have my steering wheel turned slightly to the left and it pulls to the right when I left go enough that it changes lanes on the interstate. Looking at the bolt they installed they had moved it and put it in the proper notch. I'm planning on a third trip back but at this point I'm concerned they don't have the knowledge to get it right. I'm including photos here of the alignment specs that I took when they had the paperwork. I don't understand these but do notice they are quite far off for it to have supposedly been right the first time. At this point I've lost a lot of time dropping it off and getting rides to and back from work by friends.

Thanks for any insight you all can provide!

-David

This is the data after the first alignment.

This is the new bolt installation after the first alignment.

This is how my steering wheel looked when driving straight after the first alignment.

This is the data after the second alignment.

This is the bolt position after the second alignment. I'm wondering if I even needed it in the first place.

This is how my steering wheel looks when driving straight after the second alignment.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
indont trust the chain shops at all. I had issues myself with Monroe recently. Took them 3 tries. It's within spec, but my alignment guy (who was closed when I needed one) said he could get it much better.

Steer ahead should be reading 0.00° not sure what they're doing wrong.

Are they telling you something is worn out or wrong with your truck?

Is your truck stock height??

Last edited by 2008_XL; 08-13-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generally speaking, the alignment cam kit is only needed on vehicles with altered suspension (leveled, lifted, lowered, etc). Even then it is not a 100% required but does make doing the alignment easier. On a stock height truck, unless something is severely wrong with your front suspension, it shouldn't be needed at all.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first alignement: bolt plate have been force out of the retaining hole

second alignment: everything look good to me.
road crown, road inclinaison ,etc need small steering input

Old 08-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Update 1

I'm 100% stock, no level. I replaced lower ball joints, upper control arms, tie rod ends and hub assemblies on both sides right before alignment. All MOOG except Timken hubs.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
indont trust the chain shops at all. I had issues myself with Monroe recently. Took them 3 tries. It's within spec, but my alignment guy (who was closed when I needed one) said he could get it much better.

Steer ahead should be reading 0.00° not sure what they're doing wrong.

Are they telling you something is worn out or wrong with your truck?

Is your truck stock height??
I'm 100% stock, no level. I replaced lower ball joints, upper control arms, tie rod ends and hub assemblies on both sides right before alignment. All MOOG except Timken hubs.

Said camber was so far couldn't align without bolts initially

Old 08-14-2015, 05:44 PM
Update 2

Took it back tonight and they made some adjustments, drove it and suggested the new tires would take care of the pull I have to the right. I will put them on this evening. Here's the latest report:

Old 08-14-2015, 07:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
That cam jut looks really cheap kit. And they probably didn't torque them down enough after installing them.

Your first align [before] specs I'd be more concerned with the camber than the slight Caster difference.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:39 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is why I also don't go to chain shops. Certain things belong to hometown shops or dealerships. Sorry to hear of this misfortune. When I had my last alignment dealer said my camber bolts kept seizing and needed replaced so I went ahead and did them. My truck kept losing alignment slowly over a year's time. It has been good recently I suppose, I don't drive it that often now, and I changed my tie rods last spring and I did a DIY alignment in my garage with measurements and patience. Drives straight and the wheel is centered. I do plan to have it checked by the dealer before winter.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:04 PM
After installing the new tires and wheels from TireRack.com everything seems aligned very good after the last alignment and feel very good going down the road. Thanks everyone for reading my post and for your feedback!

Quick Reply: Alignment shop seems to be very wrong, please help