Strange annoying front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange annoying front end noise

Well I have this strange clanking/clunking noise that seems to be coming from the front end area. It sounds very similar to a bad U-Joint (I removed and replaced the rear shaft joints last weekend) and I have checked the front shaft joints. I inspected the whole front end the other day, I pryed on everything I could and looked at everything. Still could not find anything out of whack???? As soon as i put it on the ground and moved the noise was very evident. I can recreate it at will so it should be easy to pin down but still can't find it. If the truck is sitting still at a light as soon as i accelerate you can hear the noise, if i am driving along and goose the throttle you can hear it. So it seems to be suspension related but damned if i can pin it down. Anyone got any ideas???? I really want to get this fixed.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:11 PM
bump

Old 07-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure if it is this just trying to help spark conversation for you....
Would it be a loose strut tower bolt? Have you checked to make sure all the suspension bolts are torqued correctly?

Old 07-27-2008, 04:43 PM
I have a 2000 Expedition 4x4 that makes a clanking noise too - it sounds like 2 washers clanking, but only when moving. I only hear it when I have the passenger side window open and it's comming from the front.

I don't know what is making the noise, but I have more wear on the outside of that tire. I did replace the swaybar endlink a few months ago, but I find that hard to believe that a broken link would make it wear funny. I want to get an alignment done, but I want to know what is making the noise first. Might have to get a clip of it so others can diagnose it.

I know I'm not the only one with the problem, I've heard another Expedition driving by with the same problem.

Good luck with the issue, please keep me informed if you do figure out what is wrong!

Old 07-28-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by albiemanmike
Well I have this strange clanking/clunking noise that seems to be coming from the front end area. It sounds very similar to a bad U-Joint .
Our 05' had a clanging noise for about a year. Dealer finally tracked it down under warranty. Turns out we had a small vacuum leak that would leak under acceleration but not at idle or cruise rpm. When the system would lose vacuum the front hubs would try and engage and thus make a clanging sound. Both hubs went out last winter due to this leak but at that time they could not find the clank. It takes vacuum to release the hubs and when in 4x4 the vacuum to the hubs is shut off. They did not tell me exactly where the leak was but it looks to me like they replaced the line that runs over the top of the right strut tower. You might try hooking up a vacuum guage to a front hub line and see if you loose vacuum to the hubs when accelerating. At times mine sounded like I was dragging a chain down the road and I figured the dealer was full of it when they told me that it was a vacuum line but the sound is gone now...

Old 07-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know you said front of truck but just for the heck of it check your cat heat shields a loose one can make a lot of noise and also look for a loose exhaust pipe clamp sliding along one of the pipes. I had both on my 97 and it drove me crazy trying to find the problem. They only made noise when I was driving. Good luck

Old 07-29-2008, 03:57 AM
Not sure who you were talking to Dynotech, but my problem is definately not a heat shield or clamp. I hear it when crawling in smooth parking lots at 5 MPH.

I'll have to look into the hubs. The "chain" sound is exactly what I'm hearing. Is there any easy way of checking them? Like would the dash light turn on if it turned the **** in my truck to 4x4 and the hub was bad or there was a vacuum leak?

Old 07-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Toolman00
Not sure who you were talking to Dynotech, but my problem is definately not a heat shield or clamp. I hear it when crawling in smooth parking lots at 5 MPH.

I'll have to look into the hubs. The "chain" sound is exactly what I'm hearing. Is there any easy way of checking them? Like would the dash light turn on if it turned the **** in my truck to 4x4 and the hub was bad or there was a vacuum leak?
You do not have hubs. Those are on the 04 up. Have your CV joints checked, If there are any tears in the boot that allowed dirt or water in, you may have damage to the CV joints. Your front driveshaft does not turn in 2wd, but your front axles do (unlike the 04 up). So if the CV joints are bad, they will make noise.

Old 07-30-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm guessing something is wrong with the CV boot then. I checked the front, and the lower ball joint was covered with grease. I thought somebody tried greasing them, but the driver side is normal.

I'll get it checked out and replaced soon.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:16 PM
hi
If you want to be sure it's a vacum leak just put your 4x4 on an you'll see if the noise still there i also have that noise since 2 days and it stop in 4x4 so it will be a leak cause before 97 they use hub with locks and now is automatic with an electric motor on the transfert case and a diaphragm who engage the axel so if you have a leak the 4x4 wants to engage, if your noise is the same of mine try in reverse just in 2 HI and you'll heard it worst

Quick Reply: Strange annoying front end noise