Pre-1997 Models

some questions on my new truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some questions on my new truck

truck is a 93 XLT
1. on both sides of the seat there is a switch (like the one for the locks & windows). when i push it one way nothing happens and when i push it the other way it makes a noise like an air hose. what is it?
2. the chrome thing around the ignition is loose. when i brought it home and took the key out the beeper started goin off. i had to fiddle with the little chrome piece to shut it up. How do I fix it?
3. i locked the steering wheel, so I tried to start it back up but the key wouldn't turn. i eventually got it to go (don't remember how). what happened?

think thats all for now

Old 01-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by stealthsniper96
truck is a 93 XLT
1. on both sides of the seat there is a switch (like the one for the locks & windows). when i push it one way nothing happens and when i push it the other way it makes a noise like an air hose. what is it?
the switch is for the power lumbar. its an air bag in the back of the seat and it fills up with air which you can hear the motor and the when you push the switch the other way it is releasing the pressure which you cant hear.

2. the chrome thing around the ignition is loose. when i brought it home and took the key out the beeper started goin off. i had to fiddle with the little chrome piece to shut it up. How do I fix it?
if the ignition switch is broke then you can replace it or deal with it. or maybe glue it if you can. but to replace it all you do is turn the key to the on position and take a screwdriver and stick it in the hole in the lower steering column cover and push the pin in and pull the switch out. then put the new one in and shut it off.

3. i locked the steering wheel, so I tried to start it back up but the key wouldn't turn. i eventually got it to go (don't remember how). what happened?
think thats all for now
all you have to do is turn the steering wheel off the lock to turn the key.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:49 PM
thanks. is there any way i can disconect the dinger?

Old 02-01-2009, 01:15 PM
more questions

i figured out that the headlight **** has to be turned or else the inside light stays on, and you push the windshield wiper forward to get the high beams on. what does pulling the windshield wiper forward do? and on the shifter theres a button to turn the overdrive on and off. what the point of overdrive?

Old 02-01-2009, 02:33 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
i figured out that the headlight **** has to be turned or else the inside light stays on, and you push the windshield wiper forward to get the high beams on. what does pulling the windshield wiper forward do? and on the shifter theres a button to turn the overdrive on and off. what the point of overdrive?

are you serious? how old are you? just park the truck and slowly back away before someone gets hurt

google overdrive, it may explain it better (nicer) than I will

overdrive is designed to lower the rpms while on the highway to save fuel / increase fuel consumption.

hope that helps

Old 02-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame

are you serious? how old are you? just park the truck and slowly back away before someone gets hurt
i'm 16 its my first car.
yea backfired somewhat on ya didnt it
thanks anyway

Last edited by stealthsniper96; 02-01-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:34 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
backfired on me? I didn't know if you were asking in seriousnesss or if you were joking around, sometimes guys form chevy/dodge/toyota forums get on here and try to stir things up hence my questions

I explained overdrive as best as I could, like I said google is your friend, good luck on the truck it looks pretty good

this is a great forum to use as a tool however do not use this forum to be a tool, these guys on here will help you learn about your truck and how to keep it on the road and upgrade it if you want later on

Old 02-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
this is a great forum to use as a tool however do not use this forum to be a tool, these guys on here will help you learn about your truck and how to keep it on the road and upgrade it if you want later on
o believe me i know. i have been using forums for a while for sports and other things like that. i hate spammers/flamers just as much as the next guy

Old 02-01-2009, 04:43 PM
when you pull the windshield wiper it turns the high beams on so you can flash your high beams at someone. when you push it forward it holds the high beams on so you dont have to. overdrive is thought by alot of people to be another gear when its just the torque convertor locking up. its for better fuel mileage and emmisions purposes.

and yea when dodge and chevy guys come on here it just starts a mess. i can deal with chevy guys but dodge guys are just rediculous.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Matts ford
...overdrive is thought by alot of people to be another gear when its just the torque convertor locking up...
Not hardly. 3rd gear is 1:1 in both the E4OD and the 4R70W and the torque converter locks up in both third and OD. OD is another gear. In the 4R70W the OD is 0.70:1, in the E4OD it is 0.71:1 meaning that in either the engine is turning almost 1/3 fewer RPM in OD than it is in 3rd. Torque converter lockup is only good for something like a 1 or 2% reduction in RPM

Quick Reply: some questions on my new truck