One step away from true HID projection!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool One step away from true HID projection!

Well guys the time has come and all i've got left to do is align the projectors. It was actually pretty easy of a process compared to what I have heard people say.

I went with the FX-R Stage 3 kit. It can be had from theretrofitsource.com but I bought mine from a fellow member who bought it and didn't have time to install (Milt IV). He had bought E55-R Shrouds, but after test fitting them I have decided on and ordered Apollo shrouds (be here tomorrow or Monday)

It took me around 2 hours to have the headlights apart (bought ebay brand for clear reflectors and ease of taking apart), hole dremelled out, and projectors screwed on. I then put the project on hold until I was able to paint the reflectors bucket and housing Oxford white and clear over it with PPG clear for a factory finish. The painting took the longest because I spent so long sanding every crevice, ect. But once it was cleared it was apparent it was worth the energy.

Once I had everything dry (this morning) I started to put it all back together. I mounted my ballasts on the backs of the headlights (test fitted them to make sure on the truck) and epoxied the high/low solenoid wires where they went through the housing. I screwed the relays on the top of the washer res. for ease of access and clean look. Housings are now mounted to front lens and the reflectors got a dab of epoxy on the clips to ensure longevity.

Heres a few pics to keep people up to date.

The housing. I used the same clear I use on the tail lights and PTM emblems I sell on my website. They turned out FANTASTIC looking. OEM finish.

Pic of the painted bowl showing where I cut out with my air dremel. The back seal is out until final fitment.

Showing where bulb comes through. No seal yet.

Where Hi/Lo wires come through. Sealed up with epoxy around them now, not in pic.

For the ballasts I used double sided mounting tape and the supplied bracket. You can see the bend I put in the bracket to let it slide up enough to let the top bolt clear the housing. Also notice how I doubled up the tape in a certain way so that with the bracket on it still has enough depth to fully contact the housing for a strong hold. The mounting tape combined with the bolt should last forever IMO. Very sturdy feeling and more OEM looking than screwing it to the fender somewhere.

Here they are mounted up.

I will try to remember to take some pics tonight when aligning them. Until then, see ya!

Last edited by Lifted5.4Lariat; 06-29-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:27 PM
If that ballast mounting spot works without modifying anything then you sir are a genius.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully you have the new wiring harness from TRS. I have the older version and I wanted to mount my ballasts like that but the harness wouldn't stretch far enough across to the driver's side headlight for it to work. I found a nice spot on the engine bay frame that works fine though.

Lights look good so far!

Old 06-29-2012, 07:31 PM

I already test fitted. 3 inches of wire slack in the harness and 1" of clearance to the truck all the way around

Old 06-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Lights look good, great job. Can't wait to see the rest.

Did you take the bowl off from the backing of the headlight? Or did you leave it on and tape off when you painted it?

Old 06-29-2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mrocha85
Lights look good, great job. Can't wait to see the rest.

Did you take the bowl off from the backing of the headlight? Or did you leave it on and tape off when you painted it?
I taped it. Can't tell it wasn't taken off since I spent alot of time on prep.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:38 PM
A+ on the prep work. Do you anticipate some trimming will need to be done on the surrounds?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mrocha85
A+ on the prep work. Do you anticipate some trimming will need to be done on the surrounds?
The Apollo shrouds sit a lot more flush on the FXR projector if you trim the insides. Otherwise it looks awkward with the projector lens seated so far back behind it.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:41 PM
I was considering this mod but using the MORIMOTO MINI H1 5.0. Do you guys think they will look to small in the headlight?

Old 06-30-2012, 12:03 AM

I would just stick with the fxr.. Better output from what I've heard. Here's some pics of the lights showing clearence of the ballast and the cutoff.

Msall, why do you think my hi signal light is stayin on in the dash? Also my high/low switch is backwards.. Not sure what to do about that. Other than that I love them! Once I get the shrouds in they are getting sealed up!

Old 06-30-2012, 01:44 AM
Those look great!!! I need to get my kit installed.

Also witch switchbacks are you running?

Old 06-30-2012, 01:47 AM

Lookin good Brent!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:08 AM

V LEDs switchbacks here. Thanks guys!

Old 06-30-2012, 09:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lifted5.4Lariat

Msall, why do you think my hi signal light is stayin on in the dash? Also my high/low switch is backwards.. Not sure what to do about that. Other than that I love them! Once I get the shrouds in they are getting sealed up!
Did you do the Bambi mod and you need to check the pins in the harness, they may be backwards.

Lookin good! Much better job than I did

Old 06-30-2012, 11:07 AM

Yeah bambi mod and check your pins for sure. Runnin PnP fog HIDs always illuminated that damn high beam thing. Since the projector have excellent foreground lighting you really don't need foglamps, just switch them back to halogen and see if that fixes it.

Last edited by mSaLL150; 06-30-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: One step away from true HID projection!