Magnaflow #94106 hi flow cats

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 01:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magnaflow #94106 hi flow cats

I have a 06 ford f150 5.4 v8 and I have flowmaster super 10 dual exhaust on right now it has a good sound but I want louder and I'm thinking about putting 2 Magnaflow #94106 hi flow cats on but I don't know if that would make it louder or not so what do y'all think

Old 03-03-2015, 02:34 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
You want even louder than Fartmasters? Yank them and run straight pipes from the cats back.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:08 PM
I live in nc and I couldn't get it to pass inspection if I go with straight pipes

Old 03-03-2015, 04:46 PM
When I added them to my 05, I don't feel like I gained as much volume as I had expected. I did notice that the tone was deeper and more aggressive than with the stock cats. You may want to look at the cats with the O2 bung installed, 94136 I believe, but don't quote me.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Is there any thing else that I could do to make it louder besides hi flow cats and doesn't cost too much

Old 03-03-2015, 07:41 PM
Is it volume or tone you're after? A loud guitar is one thing, but one that sounds good is better to listen to? I really don't have any experience with Flowmaster. I had a Maggie on the previous truck and a Borla on my current truck. My Maggie was a good bit louder, but to my ear, the Borla sounds better.

Old 03-03-2015, 08:29 PM
I kinda want a good sounding one but I want to be loud at the same time. And I've been looking at borla what type do you have?

Old 03-03-2015, 09:05 PM
I have the ProXS SIDO. It really isn't louder than stock except when you start it or get on it, but it is WAY deeper. They of course have a range of mufflers, but borla is more about sound than volume from what I've seen/heard/read.

On my 05, I started with an 18" Maggie SIDO, which I would also say is louder than my borla. After a couple of weeks, I found myself wanting more, so I had the shop weld in the 14" and it was quite a bit louder. About a week after that, the Maggie cats went on. To me, it was pushing the limits of volume (both for me personally and for my little ones) but the tone was a deep heavy tone that you could feel in the floor, and in your chest if you were lucky enough to be by a pipe when she started! 1100 rpms was the sweet spot, not too loud, but a deep "thump thump thump" as I rode through town. All that said, I have that 18" to my brother and he put it on his Ram with the small V8 and he was louder than I was with the 14. I have heard plenty of Chevys and dodges that were louder than me, most of them probably running the muffler shops brand of flow master. IMHO, none of them had any kind of tone to their sound, it was just loud, and they had to live with that as they drove down the road. The only ford that I know of near me with more volume was running cats only with no muffler. It didn't sound as bad as I would expect, idk how much louder you or he would be. I hope all this babble is helpful in some way and I don't know how much louder you can be, but I do know that you can get some phenomenal tone out of your truck that those others can't match! Best of luck man!

Old 03-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Remingtonry
When I added them to my 05, I don't feel like I gained as much volume as I had expected. I did notice that the tone was deeper and more aggressive than with the stock cats. You may want to look at the cats with the O2 bung installed, 94136 I believe, but don't quote me.
Correct, 94136 is the O2 mount version.

Originally Posted by 06whiteford
Is there any thing else that I could do to make it louder besides hi flow cats and doesn't cost too much
No. Unless your willing to change to a round body straight through muffler. Otherwise, longtube headers is the only option.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:17 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 06whiteford
I have a 06 ford f150 5.4 v8 and I have flowmaster super 10 dual exhaust on right now it has a good sound but I want louder and I'm thinking about putting 2 Magnaflow #94106 hi flow cats on but I don't know if that would make it louder or not so what do y'all think
The oem units are already "Hi Flow cats"....you won't change a thing by swapping!

Old 03-04-2015, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by beechkid
The oem units are already "Hi Flow cats"....you won't change a thing by swapping!
OEM cats are more restrictive than true hi flow cats.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 97isnotold
OEM cats are more restrictive than true hi flow cats.

Clearing Up the Myth About High Flow Catalytic Converters...there is no such thing as a High Flow Cat.......

http://www.catalyticconverter.org/ne...erter-&News=89

"any company that tries to sell you one is not quite telling you the truth, The sad thing is, there are some web sites claiming they have High Flow Performance Cats, and by the way at a huge inflated price, when in fact all you will be buying is the same converter you would buy anywhere else for half the price"

Keene-Bell published this as a result of the quantity of inquiries/complaints regarding the failure of the multiple installed products on a customer's vehicle failed to produce the power promised by header, exhaust, etc. companies...all claiming it had to be KB's issue.....so they did a real dyno test changing 1 part at a time....and guess what, with a set of new cats and without, there was no HP/TQ change on a 700 hp engine.

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/C...aust_tests.pdf

If there is a performance/mpg change, it's because the existing components had a problem......comparing new to new, especially to the 97, the gain on multiple dyno tests run at other facilities showed about a 3-4% gain......so at redine, on a 300 hp engine, you might see a few hp.

Old 03-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by beechkid
Clearing Up the Myth About High Flow Catalytic Converters...there is no such thing as a High Flow Cat.......

http://www.catalyticconverter.org/ne...erter-&News=89

"any company that tries to sell you one is not quite telling you the truth, The sad thing is, there are some web sites claiming they have High Flow Performance Cats, and by the way at a huge inflated price, when in fact all you will be buying is the same converter you would buy anywhere else for half the price"

Keene-Bell published this as a result of the quantity of inquiries/complaints regarding the failure of the multiple installed products on a customer's vehicle failed to produce the power promised by header, exhaust, etc. companies...all claiming it had to be KB's issue.....so they did a real dyno test changing 1 part at a time....and guess what, with a set of new cats and without, there was no HP/TQ change on a 700 hp engine.

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/C...aust_tests.pdf

If there is a performance/mpg change, it's because the existing components had a problem......comparing new to new, especially to the 97, the gain on multiple dyno tests run at other facilities showed about a 3-4% gain......so at redine, on a 300 hp engine, you might see a few hp.
Kenne Bell didn't happen to do a DB reading at any point I suppose?

Quick Reply: Magnaflow #94106 hi flow cats