97-03 4.6 Long Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97-03 4.6 Long Tubes

Ok so I've done some searching. And I can't seem to come to a conclusion. I can't find a recent thread. I know people have used the obx headers for the 5.4 on the 4.6 motor. But I can't seem to figure out a straight answer. I know I'll have to have some exhaust work done to match it to the cat back. And I know they use the same heads, but the 5.4 is taller and wider.

I own a 2002 4.6 2wd. I want to go with obx Lightning/Harley long tubes. I know on summit racing pacesetter has ones for the 4.6, but I'd rather have stainless to not worry about the rust.

Will the f150 Lightning/Harley long tubes fit? I believe the difference is the collector size right? I plan to have an x pipe welded in and duals dumped right over the axle. I plan to run catless with my tuner deleting the O2. The truck has almost 88k miles, I should be okay on emissions. I just need to know if they will clear everything before I drop another 500ish dollars on them. Anyone with info for this day and age, I'd appreciate it if you spoke up! Thanks in advanced!

Old 03-07-2015, 04:25 PM
On second thought, I do have access to a torch and a pipe bender. I wouldn't be able to use the actual bender, but I'm fairly certain I could use the correct size jig or whatever it's called to heat and shape the pipe as needed. I won't have them for several weeks, I just wanted to know so I could start saving for them after my tuner.

Side note, I'm installing an iPad mini in the dash, when I get time I'll start a relevant thread with pics. But the tuner I plan to use is the sct iTsx. Anyone have experience with this? It looks promising. I'm going to buy from mpt.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:42 AM
http://www.amazon.com/PaceSetter-72C2226-Performance-Exhaust-Header/dp/B001CIA1Q2 http://www.amazon.com/PaceSetter-72C2226-Performance-Exhaust-Header/dp/B001CIA1Q2

These will fit. If your able to bend pipe you may have to on the driver side. The lowest primary will make contact on the front frame crossover. Otherwise they fit like a glove. Amazon was just a suggestion you may be able to find them cheaper elsewhere part 72c2226 for the stainless version.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:12 PM
Yeah I looked at those. It's just a coating. And I've heard the coating doesn't last long at all. They're still made from mild steel. And at that price I can get the full stainless obx. I just wanted to make sure what the differences were in the regular 5.4 and the Lightning/Harley headers were? Just collector size? I'm having a much easier time finding them for the Lightning/Harley. Any bending, although annoying, I'm willing to do. I just wana know if they'll bolt to the head. And any other differences.

Quick Reply: 97-03 4.6 Long Tubes