Let the exhaust begin!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let the exhaust begin!

Been a long time since I've been on here, but for the last several weeks I have had a P0022 code that we could not solve and I decided to upgrade the 05 xlt to a 10 Lariat. That means several things, but most importantly, time to plan a new exhaust! The 05 setup was Magnaflow cats into a Magnaflow Y. From there a 3in pipe into a 14in Magnaflow SIDO with 2.5in pipes exiting at 90 into 4in tips.
I loved it so much, I'm tempted to do the same set up. If I could change anything, it would be to a deeper sound, but I think that is more the note of Fords engine (compared to dodge or Chevy) than the exhaust set up. I'm also thinking of a 45 behind tires instead of a 90 this time, but haven't decided yet. I'm open to all suggestions and of course pics and vids!

Almost forgot, both engines are 5.4.
Ryan

Last edited by Remingtonry; 02-17-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Go with a Borla ProXS or Borla XR1 round body to be deeper toned. The XR1 to be louder than the ProXS. And leave the original cats in place as they resonate less sound than the '05.5/'08 2 cat system did.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Go with a Borla ProXS or Borla XR1 round body to be deeper toned. The XR1 to be louder than the ProXS. And leave the original cats in place as they resonate less sound than the '05.5/'08 2 cat system did.
I second that; Borla makes phenomenal exhaust systems. I, too, like Magnaflow, but you'll get more for your money with a Borla system, especially when coupled with a quality aftermarket intake system. I personally find the drone of Magnaflow systems annoying.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:56 PM
Thanks fellas! I am deffinately leaving the cats in place on this one. I considered Borla for a hot second, but Magnaflow felt "safe" if that makes sense. I do drive around with my daughters, so I really don't want to be any louder than I was with the last setup. Any suggestions on starting lengths/diameters?

Thanks again guys!

Old 02-08-2015, 01:01 PM
So after an hour or so of comparing videos and reviews, I think I'm going with the XR1 and I've concocted the following recipe...

Stock cats to magnaflow y to 3in intermediate pipe to 5x15 XR1 to another magnaflow y to 2.5in tails exiting (still not sure of angle) through 4in Borla tips.

I'm a little concerned about noise levels, but that's nothing a muffler swap down the road couldn't handle.

Old 02-08-2015, 01:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JTL89
I second that; Borla makes phenomenal exhaust systems. I, too, like Magnaflow, but you'll get more for your money with a Borla system, especially when coupled with a quality aftermarket intake system. I personally find the drone of Magnaflow systems annoying.
^^^ Explain.

1. Intakes do nothing for perf - same fer exhausts - and do not complement exhaust mods on a stock N/A truck. Are you talking sound quality, specifically? In that case, no comment.

2. Intakes on a 3V will require custom tuning to correct MAF TF skew.

3. OP has a '10. Which has a fantastic OEM intake and handily outflows the stock engine's needs, exhaust mods or not.

Some light reading for you ( applies to 09-10 ): https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...highlight=2009

Sorry fer the 'jack, OP! Carry on & good luck!

Old 02-08-2015, 01:32 PM
Always good hearin from ya MGD, it's been a long time!

Old 02-09-2015, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Remingtonry
Stock cats to magnaflow y to 3in intermediate pipe to 5x15 XR1 to another magnaflow y to 2.5in tails exiting (still not sure of angle) through 4in Borla tips.
That is the exhaust system of a true winner. I don't believe you will have a heavy drone with this system.

Old 02-09-2015, 06:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
That is the exhaust system of a true winner. I don't believe you will have a heavy drone with this system.
^^^ x2 !!!

Good ol' sir Remi nails it - agin!

Full endorsement by The Emperor - Priceless.

MGD

Old 02-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Thank you gentlemen! I appreciate the endorsements! Is Ol Dewser still around? What is he running these days? AVFrog was another exhaust I always liked. The Exhaust threads don't seem to be as happening as I remember. Anywho, I've got some parts to order!

Old 02-09-2015, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Remingtonry
Thank you gentlemen! I appreciate the endorsements! Is Ol Dewser still around? What is he running these days? AVFrog was another exhaust I always liked. The Exhaust threads don't seem to be as happening as I remember. Anywho, I've got some parts to order!
A lot on this site has simmered down. Car & detailing, exhaust, kind of sad really.

Ole Dewser has gone to the dark side of engines. And by that I mean, well, he won't be doing an exhaust on his new 2014 truck. He has that little badge on the door with the 8 letter word on it and the little leaf. We'll just leave it at that.

If I recall correctly, AVFrog has gone to a Super Duty. Needless to say he has an amazing sounding truck now, PSD FTW!

Old 02-10-2015, 02:17 PM
Dealer gave me an ecoboost to drive while they had my old truck. Pretty impressed with the get up and go, but there's something about a V8 in a truck that just feels right to me, especially the sound. If anyone can make that engine sound good, Dewser's our guy!

I stopped by the exhaust shop today and was greeted by some new guy. He didn't want to replace the factory Y and looked at me like I was nuts when I told him I wanted to run another Y off the mufflers for dual exits. Fortunately the guy who did my last exhaust came out and straightened everything out. We are looking at about $325 for the parts from Summit and $210 for pipe and labor. Hopefully time will allow this to be done the week after next.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Well, I'm having some reservations here and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I have read and re-read Darren's post after he put his exhaust on. One of the things I was concerned about with my setup is in cab noise since the muffler will be right under the cab. I see that Darren mentioned that exact thing. I don't really pick up on it much in the video (at least in the 50+ times I've watched/listened) I'm not real sure if the Borla would be that much different in cab.

The second issue I'm having, is I am honestly getting used to a quiet truck. Then, I hear one with an exhaust go by or watch a vid and I'm ready for a rip roaring monster again. Perhaps I should meet myself in the middle on this one? Oval sido?

Finally, I'm having a real struggle with exits. I know for sure I want dual exits, and I know for sure I want them on opposing sides, just torn with angle. I had 90's on the last truck and just don't like to repeat the same thing. Straight back is out of the question which leaves me with some sort of 45. So far the angle I seem to like best is just inside the corner of the bumper (not quite straight, not quite 45) I just don't seem to have the "this is gonna be awesome feeling" when it comes to my exits. If you all have any inspirational photos of your exits, I'd love to see them!

Old 02-17-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Why not Harley style? I still haven;t done my exhaust yet since you left but actually picked up welding since and once I get some time with Tig welding in the next few months I'll be doing it myself and ultimately blowing away any local shop's work. I'm making 2 setups... one in front of the tire like now and a Harley style when I want to switch it up. I'm not into the 45'd look anymore (used to have it myself) and prefer stock location, Harley and if done right, in front of the tire with dual tips.

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 02-17-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 03:02 PM
Hey John! I did consider a Harley exit, or my own variation anyway, by running a regular dual exit to either side and a dual tip off of each pipe, but ruled that out as I don't think it would look as clean as I'd like.
Welding is one skill I don't have that I would really like to have. I have a few buddies that do, just haven't hooked up with them for lessons yet. Can't wait to see your setup when it's done!

Quick Reply: Let the exhaust begin!