Wanting to get a chip but have some questions please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wanting to get a chip but have some questions please help

My truck has 118,000 miles on it will that effect it and im looking to spend around 200-300$ what should i get and how much horsepower should it add?

Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 PM
first off....what year is your truck and what engine do you have?

Old 04-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Suspended
Sorry to barge in, but I had to mention for some reason when I scanned down the main page, I though the titled said "Wanting to get a chimp but..."

Old 04-16-2010, 05:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CaMF150
My truck has 118,000 miles on it will that effect it and im looking to spend around 200-300$ what should i get and how much horsepower should it add?
Originally Posted by beast30
first off....what year is your truck and what engine do you have?
Great question beast.

Second off - try reading the hundreds of threads in this forum; lots of owners list their opinions on the various options available. Then (and this is key), go to the manufacturer's site and find the FIND A DEALER button. That way you will know about how much they cost brand new.

Hell, it's amazing, but on them websites you can even download the user manual, even though you don't own one. Who'da thought!!!???

Oh, and there are some really nice stickies at the top that completely describe programmers, tunes (canned and custom), and how they work.

And finally, it's doubtful that you will get a BRAND NEW, reliable programmer with well written custom tunes and excellent customer service for $200-$300.

You might be able to find a guy that does tuning out of his dad's garage on the side (when he's not on his day job at Jiffilube). It's your truck - but I'd stay away from that guy.

(Little known fact [FWIW], we have a guy like that on this very forum - his name is MGDfan v5.0. )

You might be able to find a used unit - just make sure it's unlocked and will support your truck (engine and year).

MGDfan Junior V1.0

Old 04-16-2010, 07:35 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Old 04-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Great question beast.

Second off - try reading the hundreds of threads in this forum; lots of owners list their opinions on the various options available. Then (and this is key), go to the manufacturer's site and find the FIND A DEALER button. That way you will know about how much they cost brand new.

Hell, it's amazing, but on them websites you can even download the user manual, even though you don't own one. Who'da thought!!!???

Oh, and there are some really nice stickies at the top that completely describe programmers, tunes (canned and custom), and how they work.

And finally, it's doubtful that you will get a BRAND NEW, reliable programmer with well written custom tunes and excellent customer service for $200-$300.

You might be able to find a guy that does tuning out of his dad's garage on the side (when he's not on his day job at Jiffilube). It's your truck - but I'd stay away from that guy.

(Little known fact [FWIW], we have a guy like that on this very forum - his name is MGDfan v5.0. )

You might be able to find a used unit - just make sure it's unlocked and will support your truck (engine and year).

MGDfan Junior V1.0

Old 04-16-2010, 12:10 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Get back in your short bus, dillweed......

Old 04-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
This thread is destined to be a "classic"! Hell, I might even "stick" it!

- Jack

Old 04-19-2010, 10:58 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Quick Reply: Wanting to get a chip but have some questions please help