Would Tuning be Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would Tuning be Worth It?

Ok, my truck is stock performance wise. I really have no plans for mods except maybe a cat back Roush system.

I am wanting to get either a tuner or programmer to compensate for the 35" BFG M/Ts. So my question is, would I be better off just getting a programmer and recalcualating for tire size, or would custom tunes still benifit me? This is one area on these trucks where I am a little in the grey area.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 01-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I ran the canned Edge tunes for about 35,000 miles and then got the custom tunes from Bill at PHP. They are definitely worth it. The improved shifting and downshifting alone, are worth it to me.

My truck has exhaust, oversize tires and is stock otherwise.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom tunes are great, but datalog tunes are even better.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:37 PM
I agree on getting tunes just to enjoy driving the truck with much better shift points.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Any of the tuners out there will do a good job of improving the overall performance of your truck with the canned tune. I started out with a Flashpaq tuner and I was very happy with the improvements it gave me. The throttle lag was gone and the shifting was much better. Most of the tuners will also allow you to adjust for tire size and even gearing changes on some, my Flashpaq did. If your going to keep it basically stock I would say a canned tuner will be fine.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I ran the canned Edge tunes for about 35,000 miles and then got the custom tunes from Bill at PHP. They are definitely worth it. The improved shifting and downshifting alone, are worth it to me.

My truck has exhaust, oversize tires and is stock otherwise.
did you notice any decent amounts of improvements with the Edge and canned tunes for the 35,000 miles? did you have anything upgraded at that time? woud i notice any gains with a canned Edge on my 2000 with CAI and exhaust?

Old 01-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wd150
did you notice any decent amounts of improvements with the Edge and canned tunes for the 35,000 miles? did you have anything upgraded at that time? woud i notice any gains with a canned Edge on my 2000 with CAI and exhaust?
If you have a CAI, you need a custom tune to compensate. Don't buy an Edge. Get a Gryphon from www.PHPTune.com or an XCal from VMP or TP.

- Jack

Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wd150
Yes, it was like a different truck with the canned tunes, but then it was like a different truck all over again with the custom tunes. One other factor, you are not really gaining much with the CAI without custom tunes. You really need to get the Gryphon with Bill's tunes or an Xcal3 from Troyer or VMP.

Quick Reply: Would Tuning be Worth It?