99-00 Lightning Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 99-00 Lightning Wheels

I've read the post on how the wheels rub on the brake line bracket but mine was rubbing on the abs line bracket. It's a white clip on the upper a-arm Brandon Ashlock aka "Showya" could see the plastic worn down. flipped the bracket problem solved on passenger side. driver side same way. ordered the turn stops should be here this Thursday. does anybody have pics or can describe how to install them. I'm sure he knows how to install but hate to keep bothering him. Thanks........ Felix

Old 12-11-2002, 12:37 PM
Another member emailed me about this last week - I installed the stops a couple of weekends ago:

Turn stop is a metal "****" on the arm holding the wheel. Look for it right behind the brake disc on the side closest to the cab. Directions say to use a grinder to cut off head of rivet (which is on the underneath of the wheel arm) that is holding the factory turn stop and then use a punch to tap the stop out. It is dificult to get enough room to tap this out if you are using a floor jack. If the truck is on a lift, it probably would be easy. Took me a good hour and a half to figure out that you grind off the head of the rivet and then drill out the rest of it. When you grind off the rivet head, you will see a circle in the metal where the rivet comes through the wheel arm. I started with a small drill bit to make a pilot hole and drilled far enough to where I knew I had gone through the arm. Then I got a drill bit that was the same size as the circle that I mentioned before. When I drilled through with this bit, the turn stop fell right out of the other side. The new turn stop comes with a bolt that you put through the hole and it screws into the new turn stop. Then the new bolt slid right through the hole and the new stop was installed. Once I figured this out, the other side took me about 30 minutes to do.

Hope this helps!!

Old 12-11-2002, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the info.

Old 01-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Hey Lightningcrew
Do you know the part # for the longer turn stop? I went down to the SVT dealer and they said it came as part of the lower A-arm. I'm not about to buy the whole a-arm assy.
thanks

Old 01-12-2003, 02:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
From a previous thread.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=95231

Try Fordpartsonline, Gary Star should be able to hook you up with these, rather then your local SVT dealer

I got to call him on monday, I keep forgetting to do this, and with my winter wheels on, it is not a hot issue..at the moment that is

Old 01-12-2003, 06:12 PM
Thanks sscully
I crawled under a 2003 lightning to take a look at the turn stop, it's not much bigger than mine. I may just try to weld a little bit on it. Gonna have to do some thing, I cranked the wheels too far the other day and the brake line nut gouged my wieghts on the inside of the wheels. A lessoned learned for anyone stepping up to 18x9.5 or bigger. After I get that straight, I'm going to take it to a shop that has a Hunter GSP9700 balancing machine, www.gsp9700.com
I want the best balance job I can get.

Old 01-15-2003, 01:20 PM
Sorry guys - been in Mexico so I have not been on here in awhile. You are right, there is only about a 1/4 inch difference in the turn stops, if that. But apparently it is enough to keep it from rubbing. I have not had any problems since I installed them.

Trending Topics

Old 01-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by SSCULLY
Try Fordpartsonline, Gary Star should be able to hook you up with these, rather then your local SVT dealer
I just called to order these and other things today...fordpartsonline is not a Ford Motorsport dealer, so they cannot get parts starting with the letter M ( from Gary himself ).

I did get Summit to order them, as they are a Ford Motorsport racing dealer.

They do not stock them, but they can order them for you.

I forget the pirce right now, but all you need to do is call and give them the part number, tell them they are Ford Racing parts, and they will call down to purchaing get the price, and order them for you.

Live and learn

Old 01-16-2003, 08:57 AM
Old 01-16-2003, 07:14 PM
I ordered L repos in chrome today so am I gonna need to get these too? Or will it rub without them?

Old 01-17-2003, 03:45 PM
Yes, when you turn sharp, your wheels will rub on the brake line bolts without the turn stops. In some cases it will also drag off the wheel weights on the inside of the rims. For the small amount of hassle it is to put them on, it is well worth the effort.

Old 01-18-2003, 12:33 PM
I thought there was a way to move the break line to prevent this? Is this true or do you still need to install the wheel stops?

Quick Reply: 99-00 Lightning Wheels