Goodyear Wrangler MTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 10:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler MTR

I am looking at getting these in the 305/70/17 size for my F150. I have heard some good and bad things on them and before I make my final decision I want to get some more opinions. I am also looking at the BFG Mud Terrain KM's but they only come in 285/70/17 and I really want the larger size. I do mostly on road driving but get off road every now and then. I want something that looks good and will last a while.

Old 12-11-2002, 02:21 PM
No one has an opinion????

Old 12-11-2002, 04:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have never owned a set of MTR's, but the only thing I have ever heard bad about them, or the BFG's for that matter, is the price. They are an expensive tire but all of the owner's I have talked to have been very happy with them.

Old 12-11-2002, 08:56 PM

I believe you have heard from me before and I am very happy with the tires. Initially I wanted an AT but BFG nor GY made them in the 305. So I took the chance and went for the MT/R and don't regret it at all.

Old 12-11-2002, 11:19 PM
I have 35/12.5 MTRs on my F150 and have put over 15k mi on them. They dig very well offroad and are comparable almost to my TSLs on my ranger. Onroad preformance is also very good. They are fairly quiet for an MT and ride very smooth. I have noticed very little wear on them after the 15k mi. The only bad thing about them is the price but if you're looking at BFG MT KMs they're comparable in price but in everything else the MTRs blow the BFGs out of the water.

Old 12-12-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by powerstroke73
I have 35/12.5 MTRs on my F150 and have put over 15k mi on them. They dig very well offroad and are comparable almost to my TSLs on my ranger. Onroad preformance is also very good. They are fairly quiet for an MT and ride very smooth. I have noticed very little wear on them after the 15k mi. The only bad thing about them is the price but if you're looking at BFG MT KMs they're comparable in price but in everything else the MTRs blow the BFGs out of the water.

Very good news to hear. I have heard from buffalotr8 and he really likes his. I was concerned how they work on the road and how they wear. The price is no big deal so I am going to go with them after christmas. Thanks again for the help.

Old 12-16-2002, 12:41 PM
Question 305 MTR's

Hey all,
I'm considering putting 305/70/17 MTR's on my SCrew. I'm wondering if anyone has that size their F-150 and if there is any tire rub. The tire's overall diameter is 34.

Thanks.

Trending Topics

Old 12-16-2002, 01:07 PM
Re: 305 MTR's

Originally posted by Dudley
Hey all,
I'm considering putting 305/70/17 MTR's on my SCrew. I'm wondering if anyone has that size their F-150 and if there is any tire rub. The tire's overall diameter is 34.

Thanks.
buffalotr8 has that size and I am getting them soon

Old 12-16-2002, 06:55 PM
I never had any rubbing. They are an excellent size. I didn't adjust the torsion bars either.

Look up above for a picture of my tires or go to my gallery.

Old 12-16-2002, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by buffalotr8
I never had any rubbing. They are an excellent size. I didn't adjust the torsion bars either.

Look up above for a picture of my tires or go to my gallery.
How is the tread holding up?? I heard the larger size tires will remove some tread quickly. Also did you get an alignment after them, I was planning on doing that after I get my new tires.

Old 12-16-2002, 11:16 PM
buffalotr8 & josho66:

Thanks for the information. I'm set on them too. I've been looking at the BFG M/T and while the BFG's are nice, they are more expensive. The negatives and positives are about equal. One of the negatives I've heard consistently is that because of the superior traction with the GY MTR's, you suffer in tread life due to the softer rubber compound.

Those GY MTR's on buffalotr8's rig does look good. I'm glad that there is no rubbing going on. I wonder if there is any at full suspension articulation. How are they in the snow buffalotr8? Have you felt any power loss with the bigger tires?

Old 12-17-2002, 01:04 AM
After 12,000 miles I've put on my MTRs I've noticed little wear. I don't know the exact mileage on them as I bought them used off a friend. And as far as flex click the links and you'll see it. 3"body lift with 35s and the rears tucked inside the wheelwells. However this is with a 8.8 rear and pretty sure with a 9.75 they won't. Oh and you also don't have to worry about flex in the front cause IFS DON'T FLEX!!!!

http://*****************************...ke73/88517.jpg
http://*****************************...ke73/88515.jpg

Old 12-17-2002, 01:08 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by powerstroke73
[B]After 12,000 miles I've put on my MTRs I've noticed little wear. I don't know the exact mileage on them as I bought them used off a friend. And as far as flex click the links and you'll see it. 3"body lift with 35s and the rears tucked inside the wheelwells. However this is with a 8.8 rear and pretty sure with a 9.75 they won't. Oh and you also don't have to worry about flex in the front cause IFS DON'T FLEX!!!!

Ok this is gay, Steve still has the F150world filters turned on. We don't carry grudes do we Ok since the damn filters are turned on (hmm wonder if he blocked out FTW too) go to the "other" site ( what a website here) and click on the galleries and then filter to Iowa and click on Powerstroke 73. Then click on the body lift in the pull down menu. There are some picutres in there that show how the rears stuff and how much the front is gonna flex.

Old 12-17-2002, 08:47 AM
powerstroke73:

Thanks for the information. I'm having a hell of a time finding your pics though.

Old 12-17-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Dudley
buffalotr8 & josho66:

Thanks for the information. I'm set on them too. I've been looking at the BFG M/T and while the BFG's are nice, they are more expensive. The negatives and positives are about equal. One of the negatives I've heard consistently is that because of the superior traction with the GY MTR's, you suffer in tread life due to the softer rubber compound.

Those GY MTR's on buffalotr8's rig does look good. I'm glad that there is no rubbing going on. I wonder if there is any at full suspension articulation. How are they in the snow buffalotr8? Have you felt any power loss with the bigger tires?
He told me that in snow and all other weather conditions they have done fine. He also said he hasn't taken them off road yet but they worked great everywhere else. I talked to my tire guy and he said if they don't rub when you turn all the way then you shouldn't have any problems with them. I am getting them soon so I could let you know. I just need to get about another $150 or so and I will have them. Need to get an alignment also.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Wrangler MTR