Anybody use the OEM Brembo's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 10:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody use the OEM Brembo's?

I am so sick of my stock warpotors (Rotors) I have had them replaced 3 times under the bumper to bumper. Now my bumper to bumper is gone (Just have esp drive train now)

I am looking at getting a set of Brembo OEM's and the truck pads that tirerack has for sale.

any thought's or advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 12-06-2002, 12:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just started looking into this...

hcmq,

I am just slightly farther then you on this topic, albeit not by much.

I have looked at Kenny Brown, they have upgrades for the kits, but I do NOT know how good of a place this is.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/G...kbf-150-1.html

I am looking around, actually you can look at the L forum as well, if you have not already, they go over this topic once in a while.

There was a post over there on a Wildwood brake upgrade kit that was sub $2k ( if I recall correctly ), but did not know which of the Wildwood calipers it used in the kit ( could be the sub 100.00 calipers, could be the mid price ones ).

This is something I am looking at for next spring, so I don't have a fire lit under my bum straight away to get all of the research on vendors and kits yet.

I have been leaning towads the Brembo kit, as I see mroe Ls with these then the Wildwoods.

Sorry it si not much help yet....
sms

Old 12-06-2002, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the reply and the info!

Actually I was looking at the Brembo OEM replacement rotors, not the high perf kit.

Though one would be nice! I have better things to spen $3500.00 on!

Thanks again!

Old 12-11-2002, 10:34 PM
I was debating the Brembo replacements, they were available at Tirerack.com for only $44.00 a piece. Not bad for Brembo's! But I ended up getting Powerslot rotors and am happy with them so far. They did improve the braking slightly but no more warped rotors! But since the Powerslots are about $100.00 a piece I think the replacement Brembo's would be a great alternative without spending a lot of money.

Old 12-12-2002, 07:52 AM
thanks mj.

I am more worried about durability than stopping power. I am sick of warped rotors!

Maybe I have something different but my truck has always had very strong braking performance. (albeit the rotors are always warped) my truck has bosch calipers up front.

I am very carefule about lug nut torque and i am not a brake pedal rider. However I do a lot of high speed highway driving as well as moderate towing every now and then.

I will be ordering the Brembo OEM's today and the "TRUCK" pads that tirerack has.

I'll let you all know once the weather breaks and i get them on.

Old 12-13-2002, 12:48 PM
Hcmq

I have what you want to do. I purchased the brembo OEM's from Tirerack. (front only). I also purchased a set of the hawk pads, but the ones they shipped were wrong, so i went to shucks and got the raybestos ceramix pads. I also had the rotors "frozen" by a local cryo place. They only charged $20 per rotor, so I was still less than dealer prices for all the parts. I have had them on for just over a month, and love it!. I have been afraid of being rear-ended (again) because it stops so quick and smoooooooth. A definite improvement over stock!

Old 12-13-2002, 06:26 PM
thanks shark!

i ordered them yesterday from tire rack (Front only) and i bought the ebc 6000 truck/suv heavy duty pads as well.

how did you find the cryo joint?

did you do the work yourself? if so any tips? i don't believe i will have any trouble getting the rotors off because they were removed/replaced so many times under warrenty!

thanks again!!

Trending Topics

Old 12-21-2002, 04:03 AM
Hi!

Did the dealer replace the rotors under warranty or simply turn them?

There is a significant difference. If a rotor warps and you turn it, it will warp again later. It has to do with the casting and how it was gated in the mold and how it cooled.

If you're warping new rotors each time, check for excess caliper drag.

BTW..."warped" rotors are really rotors with excessive thickness variation. New rotor TV spec is around 0.0005" (5/10,000"). Rotor runout spec is about .015" max. Actually this runout helps push the pads back away from the rotor to minimize brake drag.

Tom

Old 12-21-2002, 08:11 AM
Yes the rotors were replaced all 3 times. The dealer did try to turn them and they would warp shortly after that. So they would replace them.

I asked the dealer about caliper drag and they said that there was none.

I just took off the stock rotors and bads which were badly warped (And they were just put on earlier this year by the dealer) and the pads were all exactly the same thickness so I don't believe it is being caused by caliper drag.

I put the OEM Brembo's on and the Truck/SUV pads that Tir Rack sells and so far they are great.

Old 12-24-2002, 02:24 AM
Well...I have something I want you to check...

We have a saying in our industry that goes something like...if you have overheating brakes, that's probably the brake working correctly, and the lazy brakes need correction. The problem is that the hot (correctly working) brakes exhibit the problem making us look in the wrong direction. Make sense so far?

Go out and make some brake snubs at a moderate decel rate from 40-20 MPH at about 1/4 mile intervals about 20 times. Find a place to pull over and use your fingers to do a temperature test. NO! Not on the rotor face unless you have leather fingers. Grab a lug nut. Do this on all 4 wheel positions. Note any smell with your nose too.

Is one axle hotter than the others? Is one brake hotter than the others? Is one axle cold? etc, etc.

I did not notice if you have 4W discs or not. If the rears are drum, expect them to run a bit cooler, but still not 'cold'. I live in the hills and will check my brake balance for comparision, I have 4W disc.

Tom

Old 12-24-2002, 08:29 AM
I have 4wheel discs and I have already done this check. (I do it on all of my vehicles) and the rotors that i just pulled off that are badly warped have no hot spots.

I also never use the brakes hard then sit on them like at a light I will keep the truck inching along to prevent a hot spot.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Anybody use the OEM Brembo's?