Which one's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which one's?

I need new tires 17". I drive a lot about 30,000 miles a year. And i got to deal with snow in the winter and going up over the mountain to work everyday. The stock goodyears that came on my truck from the factory held up good. I got a full 30,000 mile out of them . Should I stick with them or go to a different brand? If so what brands?

Old 09-23-2002, 02:23 PM
I am in the same spot... I am at the end of my factory Goodyears... I got 50K out of them though... must be different type... I have looked around quite a bit and not found much in the way of 17" tires... the only size seems to be the stock size... 265 - 17.. which is fine I suppose... as far as brand goes... most people say the Michelins are, without a doubt, the way to go... There are a couple different models, one I seem to remember is better for snow... so that sounds like what you would need... They are pretty spendy... around $650 for the set of 4 here is Portland, Oregon. I think I found the stock Goodyears for about 600... not really much of a savings... I haven't looked in consumer reports yet... I talked to a couple guys that got their faulty Firestones replaced with the Michelins and they say it's like driving a new truck... I will probably go that route.... I'm just waiting for the rains to come before I throw down the cash.. The America's tire company here will match any price... so shop around and take them your best price if you have one nearby... Costco had a pretty good price too and they sometimes have a $60 off a set of 4 Michelins.. I was told by a guy at Big O tires that the Costco tires are not the same as you get elsewhere... he said they are not the same quality... that's why their cheaper... not sure if I believe him... I am really just waiting for the Costco coupon to come out and then take that price to Americas Tire co... good luck!!

Old 09-23-2002, 02:46 PM
I got some last week....

...and love the Michelin LTX M/S.

They get great reviews at Tire Rack (website) and I must say I can't believe how much better my braking seems (wife noticed, and she normally could care less, so to speak) even on dry pavement. I used to have the Generals similar to hwta came on the truck - really an amazing difference in quiet and traction, and the "M/S" stands for "mud/snow".

You can get to the Tire Rack website through links they have here which may help this place pay the bills. If someone can point them out to me, I will use them my self...

Old 09-23-2002, 03:58 PM
THANKS FOR THE INPUT I AM GOING TO LOOK INTO THE MICHELIN AND COMPARE THEM TO GOODYEARS.

Old 09-23-2002, 04:14 PM
DrDevon,

The Tire Rack ad/banner on this site appears at the top of the screen (sometimes you have to "re-click" the page to make it appear). If members will at least "click" the Tire Rack banner on, this site gets "credit" for it and helps this site pay the bills.

When I did buy the cheapest ($87), highest speed/traction rated (V ), highest psi (51), highest mileage (50 K), widest, ALL SEASON, anti-hydroplanning, treaded smoothest handling yet incredibly responsive SPORTTRUCK Kumho Ecst STX in 265/60/17 tires from the Tire Rack, not only did I click on the banner, I also told the sales tech, that I wanted it noted that I saw their ad on f150online and I even sent "Henry" a thank you email for such great service and again noted in my email that I wanted f150online to get credit for the sale.

Old 09-23-2002, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Michelin's LTX M/S tire is a good tire, but the M/S does NOT stand for Mud and Snow. The M/S tire is a very good all season radial with good Ice traction, that will give you 50-60K miles.

Since Michelin's LTX A/T does not come in a 17" size, and you have a 4x4, I would recommend you get the BGF AT ko's.

Old 09-23-2002, 10:33 PM
OK....

....what do you think "M/S" stands for? After all, you've taken the time and energy to step out and say it doesn't mean Mud/Snow, what does it mean?

As a hint, I'll post something I copied from the Michelin website:

LTX M/S
Extra long tread life
Exceptional comfort
All-season traction in mud and snow

...and I tell ya, the three retailers I shopped with all told me it meant "mud and snow" (Sam's, Discount Tire, and a Tire Rack rep).

So, do tell!

Old 09-24-2002, 09:23 AM
Michelin LTX® M/S - P265/70R17 - ORWL
Add Wheels 66259 $130.99 $523.96
Total: $523.96 USD

Vehicle Info: Shipping Zip Code:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I FOUND THESE ARE THESE THE MICHELIN MUD AND SNOW TIRES?

I FOUND THEM IN 17" AT 1010 TIRE WEB SITE. THE REPORT FOR TIRE WEAR AND COMFORT LOOKS GOOD AS WELL AS THE OVER ALL RATING. $130 A TIRE ISN'T THAT BAD. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. I NEED A TIRE I CAN GET SOME MILES OUT OF AND I DON'T RUN THEM BAD (NO BURN OUT) I TRY TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THEM.

Old 09-24-2002, 11:00 AM
Just look at the LTX M/S tire tread, then look at a LTX A/T (or any AT truck tire), then look a Mud/off road truck tire. It don't really matter what the marketing description says the tire is, it only matters what the tire can really do.

The LTX M/S is a very good "all season" street radial with good snow/ice traction, a quiet ride, and excellent wear.

I bought my LTX A/T's from 1010tires.com back in May, and have yet to see a better deal on Michelins anywhere.

Old 09-24-2002, 02:20 PM
Regardless...

....the M/S means "mud and snow", implying that this tire has better mud and snow traction than the LTX A/S.

You may choose to compare it to an off-road mudder, but that's not its competition, and we all know it. Most people don't want a noisy, harsh mud tires for everyday travel, as you can hear little else at highway speeds. So, the LTX M/S is a pretty good compromise with a more open tread pattern than the A/S but still retains quiet road manners and wet traction on *pavement* (another weakness of many full-bore mud tires). The M/S standing for Mud and Snow doesn't HAVE to mean they are specialized Snow Tires or Mudders to most folks outside yourself....

However, since you insist you know otherwise, what does the "M/S" mean. Someone else on the thread asked, and you haven't responded to the question.

Old 09-24-2002, 02:40 PM
Just to help tie up a few loose ends, one of the reasons that the tire prices at Sam's and at Costco is because they assume the warranty on the tire.

Speaking from experience (at least for Sam's anyway), the tires there are just as good a quality as anywhere else. A lot of the brands carried there have slightly different names then other stores , but that is so that the higher priced stores will not have to meet the Sam's price.

Old 09-24-2002, 04:57 PM
Wink

Ok drdevon, I give, "M" means mud, "S" means snow,

Can we then just agree that the LTX M/S is a great tire?