Just felt good to do

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just felt good to do

Hey guys,

I have to say I'm not an auto mechanic by any means...in fact, after pointing out the windshield washer reservoir, and the dipstick, I can't say I know my way around an engine very well. Don't get me wrong, I can do basic maintenance like changing windshield wipers or a flat tire, I'm just not the type to replace crankshafts and blown head gaskets. All that being said, I just felt like getting on here and saying it felt pretty good to change my front brake pads this week. I do know enough to recognize the high pitch squeal of worn down brake pads, and it's just nice to be able to diagnose the problem and change it for around $20 instead of heading to a shop and getting robbed blind for the labor. Enough about my rant, anyone else feel good about something they've done? Could be small or big, just something that made you feel good to get done on your own.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Me and my friends put a 6 inch Fabtech lift on my 2006 4x4 f150. That's the biggest project we've attempted on our own. Made me feel very accomplished, and I think it turned out pretty good

Old 08-06-2011, 11:04 PM
I'm like you, i don't know a whole lot about working on engines, but just last week I replaced my driver side mirror assembly. I took the door panel off, unhooked the wires, replaced the mirror, and put everything back together. I felt really accomplished because I called the dealer to get an install quote the day before and they wanted $150 in labor to replace it for me. So I saved a good chunk of change by doing it myself. My next project is replacing the front coil-over assemblies. (That will definitely be a learning experience)

Old 08-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by GA4x4Screw
I'm like you, i don't know a whole lot about working on engines, but just last week I replaced my driver side mirror assembly. I took the door panel off, unhooked the wires, replaced the mirror, and put everything back together. I felt really accomplished because I called the dealer to get an install quote the day before and they wanted $150 in labor to replace it for me. So I saved a good chunk of change by doing it myself. My next project is replacing the front coil-over assemblies. (That will definitely be a learning experience)
Replacing the coil-overs won't be that hard. Everything up there is all bolt-on. Just be careful when you're separating your ball joints. Don't tear up the rubber boots or the grease will come out and dirt will get in. Then you'll be replacing ball joints

Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 PM
I am the same way as you and it is the best feeling in the world to fix something or install something aftermarket and it work the first time. A year ago when I first got my truck, I honestly couldn't tell you how to change a tire. Over the past year I have learned alot about vehicles, alot on this forum and alot from school. My truck came with aftermarket wheels, but the stock ones were on it when we brought it home, so he showed me how to change them. Then he showed me how to change the oil and how to change the brake pads. Then I took auto shop for a year in school and learned how to do stuff like drop trannys, replace plugs, work a tire machine, and lots more. I am 16 years old and think that all kids should have some sort of auto knowledge, because it sure has saved me a heck of alot of money to learn just the little I have.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by atr04screw
I am the same way as you and it is the best feeling in the world to fix something or install something aftermarket and it work the first time. A year ago when I first got my truck, I honestly couldn't tell you how to change a tire. Over the past year I have learned alot about vehicles, alot on this forum and alot from school. My truck came with aftermarket wheels, but the stock ones were on it when we brought it home, so he showed me how to change them. Then he showed me how to change the oil and how to change the brake pads. Then I took auto shop for a year in school and learned how to do stuff like drop trannys, replace plugs, work a tire machine, and lots more. I am 16 years old and think that all kids should have some sort of auto knowledge, because it sure has saved me a heck of alot of money to learn just the little I have.
I did the same thing you did. I got a truck when I turned 16, and just started tinkering with stuff and got better and better at it. I'm 19 now, and I just put a 6" lift on. I could do more if a had air tools and a big car lift. I just have to put stuff up on blocks to work on it with hand tools

Old 08-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Great to hear these stories! In retrospect, I'm sorry I never took an auto shop class, but I've spent enough time tinkering that I'm feeling confident with my truck. I don't plan on doing anything electrical (there are some things I just choose to leave to the pros), but with a solid hanes manual, I feel like I can take on quite a few tasks. I think once I save up a little money, I'm going to take a few mechanic classes at a local community college or something. At some point, I'd just like to be able to say I've done a successful tear down and rebuild. Kudos to Mossyoak though. That's pretty neat that you can say you've done a full suspension lift. As funny as it sounds, even something as simple as putting the grill guard on front made me feel pretty good. Way to get a little grease under the nails, guys! Keep 'em comin!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by atr04screw
I am 16 years old and think that all kids should have some sort of auto knowledge, because it sure has saved me a heck of allot of money to learn just the little I have.
I totally agree, you don't see allot of kids learning this stuff anymore, seems it's easier just to have mom and dad pay someone to do it for them.

Having grown up on a ranch fifty miles from the nearest town you quickly learn how to fix things yourself and how to do it right the first time. At almost fifty years old I have to say vehicles have changed allot and not near as easy for the shade tree mechanic but there are many things you can still do in your driveway. It is nice knowing that when my son leaves for college in a couple of weeks that I have taught him how to fix or at least identify problems and he won't have to rely on others to do it for him.

Congrats to you young folks for jumping in there and learning these things, it's something that you will use your entire life.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:26 PM
I installed my 6" lift with a buddy, did the gotts mod myself(although I had trouble and dropped an allen wrench in my engine that took hours to get out), and today I installed rear fog lights and wired it thru my firewall and into my dash to military style firing switches. 19 over here too. on my old mustang in a bout 15 hours I installed a full sound system(subs, box, 6 speakers, headunit, amp...). I love getting something done on my truck. fortunately the guys on this forum are patient enough to deal with my dumb questions lol.
I also worked at discount tire for about a year so I can balance mount and rotate tires lol...whoop-di-do right?

Old 08-07-2011, 06:01 PM
I really do love working on my truck, painted my '98 F150 john deere flat black last month and when it was done I really felt great! At the weekend I started replacing my spark plugs on the 5.4 to denso iridiums and tomorrow I'm finishing it by reassembling the fuel lines and everything that got in the way.
Changing plugs on the 5.4 is a nightmare, glad I had help from my cousin and uncle because if you're doing it alone you're going mad because when you're head's sticking in the engine bay it's priceless to have someone hand you tools and holding the flashlight.

Next projects: Changing shocks, new exhaust (still factory :[ ), new tires/wheels.

Every hour I spent working on my truck is repaid when I fire it up.

Quick Reply: Just felt good to do