RANT-I HATE cleaning my MT classic II wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry RANT-I HATE cleaning my MT classic II wheels

I have a set of MT classic II wheels on my 02. I absolutly HATE cleaning/polishing my wheels I wash my truck at least TWO times a week!! I ALWAYS have to polish/clean the grime and crap off my wheels What makes me mad is that these wheels look sooo good all cleaned up and shined to the 9's! But it takes damn near FOREVER to get them that way I live in a condo and I cant just take them off to clean/polish every week!! Brake dust really sucks and I cant afford a set of theromquiets right now to eliminate all the brake dust.{I hope I can afford some soon} Anyone w/ these wheels that has any tips/tricks to clean these wheelsI have already used the Mothers powerball. I had to break out some 0000 steel wool and some WD-40 eariler in the year and it looks like I'll have to do that again I don't mind doing that it just takes DAMN NEAR FOREVER for the wheels to clean up

PLEASE HELP

Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish I could give you an answer. Some guys apply a synthetic wax to the wheels after polishing them.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:06 PM
I remember seeing Trucks! TV use some ZoopSeal on some polished wheels. Of course it was TV, but the reviews they had were wonderful. It sealed the wheels so all you would have to do to clean them was wipe them off, like chrome.

http://www.zoopseal.com/

Try it out and let us know of it works. I wanted to do this a long time ago to my Classic II's, but I never got around to it.

Mickey

Old 08-26-2010, 11:09 PM
Uhh, try having gloss black rims and a beadlock and tell me how that goes. MT Classics are a breeze.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Old 08-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The brake dust will not solve until you buy pads. Dirt dust can be wiped off, watching your driving habits helps too ( not hitting puddles/road skirts/low speeds on dirt ).

Black wheels FTW though, but they're still a pain to keep clean. Just gotta accept it.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:25 PM
thanks for all the responses!! I know that the thermoquiet pad will solve the brake dust problem-my problem right now is lack of $$ My wedding is in seven weeks from this Sat and I have no cash for the pads plus my truck doesnt need brakes yet Would chrome wheels be easier to keep clean? I seemed like when I had my factory chrome 17" steel wheels they were easier to keep clean.

Trending Topics

Old 08-27-2010, 06:30 PM
This is why Im gonna pay the extra and get chrome this go round.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:45 PM
Then you'll have to worry about the corrosion/rust when your MO winter comes with those chrome wheels...

Old 08-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by MudTerrain
Then you'll have to worry about the corrosion/rust when your MO winter comes with those chrome wheels...
True , True.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:38 PM
I had a set of Classic II's clear powder coated. They still look like new. No polishing or waxing. Cost $50 a wheel. It was worth it to me.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:38 AM
Try using Blue Magic metal polish. Its a blue cream that comes in a blue plastic jar. I use it on the fuel tanks and wheels on my Kenworth big rig and it works great. Its got silicone sealer in it that locks out brake dust and dirt from sticking to the finish. I wash the truck once a week and hit the polished aluminum with dawn dish soap and a terry cloth rag then rinse and they look good as new. And I only have to touch them up with the polish every 6 months or so. Hope this helps.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 AM
I had classic II's on my old truck, such a PITA to clean! I rarely cleaned them, so i had to use a scrub pad to get the rust specs out of the holes. They did look awesome when they were all shined up tho!

Old 09-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Wookie:

I had the exact same issue on the MT Classic II's. About 8 years ago I purchased them cause they were cheaper and about 3 month's later they started to pit and stain. I called the company where I bought them and complained. They agreed to send me another set when I sent the pitted ones back. But I had to buy new lugs for them since the new ones didn't come with them. So once again the truck looked great but a few month's later....Bam....same thing happened. I basically stopped even working on them because with all the elbow grease and steel wool it just wouldn't stand up to the elements. I'm sorry for your issue and understand.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by chavez1975
Wookie:

I had the exact same issue on the MT Classic II's. About 8 years ago I purchased them cause they were cheaper and about 3 month's later they started to pit and stain. I called the company where I bought them and complained. They agreed to send me another set when I sent the pitted ones back. But I had to buy new lugs for them since the new ones didn't come with them. So once again the truck looked great but a few month's later....Bam....same thing happened. I basically stopped even working on them because with all the elbow grease and steel wool it just wouldn't stand up to the elements. I'm sorry for your issue and understand.
Thank you This is EXCATLY what I wanted to hear!! Somone with the same probs w/ these wheels as me!!!!

Quick Reply: RANT-I HATE cleaning my MT classic II wheels