Tire Weight and Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Weight and Power Loss

After big plans on getting a set of 33x12.5xR18 Toyo MTs its been brought to my attention that they clock in at a whopping 75 lbs a piece. Thats 10-15 lbs heavy than most competitors. I'm just trying to get a feel from everyone on here just how much this sucks the power away from the truck.

I have 3.73 gears but lets face it, the stock 5.4L 3V is kind of underpowered for a 5600lb truck. Still has lots of low end but the "get-up-and-go" is missing. Adding a good 30-35lbs or rotational mass to each wheel (from the stock tires), I would guess, makes the darn thing undrivable. I personally don't want it to feel like I'm hauling a trailer around everywhere I go.

I liked the Toyos because they are awesome looking and they were an actual 33" tire, not under like everyone else's "33in" tire. I really want to get as big a tire as I can get to fill out our massive wheel wells without going 35". The BFG ATs are nice but lack the aggressiveness I like, and everyone has them around here.

So, how bogged out and gutless does it make these trucks feel after you slap a set of 75lb/tire toyos on? How much difference would a set of 305/65R18 BFG ATs be compared to the Toyos? And would the Mickey Thompson MTZs in 305/65R18 be a better choice than the Toyos? If you feel the truck is still nice to drive afterwards, no excessive shifting, acceleration is still fairly quick and the truck isn't overworking, please say so.

It'll be about another year before I start putting power mods on. Plans are to get a gryphon, intake and dyntechs LT kit.

As a side note, the tires will be mounted and a set of black Moto Metal 951s. Opinions welcome.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Well I dont think you would notice the wieght of the tires but if a 33" tire is a lot bigger from your stock, then it will alter your actual gear ratio and youll lose torque, and you will notice that. However 3.73 is a nice gear. If you dont tow heavy stuff regularly I say go for it....i did.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 PM
I have been wondering about the weight difference of aftermarket wheels and tires also. I have the 18" chrome clad stock wheels and want to go with a 22" wheel and tire package that keeps the same overall size...I just don't want to add 100lbs of unsprung weight in the process. Does anyone know the stock wheel/tire weight and how that compared to the aftermarket options?

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:59 PM
I also pay attention to tire manufacturers' tire weights. Unsprung, rotational mass/weight is the worst for performance & MPG.

An extra 15 pounds at each wheel is a lot more "hinderence" on the truck than an extra 60 pounds in the bed... You'll notice a slight lose in power (get-up-and-go) and MPG not only from the extra weight, but also from the increased height of the tire. Going from stockers to 33's --- It's nothing unbearable, but it's something most people can immediately notice.

Power adders help with the increased weight, gears help with the increase in height.

Last edited by MudTerrain; 08-13-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
My Toyo's are 72 lbs. each maybe 30 to 40 lbs. heavier then the stocker's. You will definitely notice the weight difference accelerating and stopping these heavy tires but for a lot of people the look's of the tires are worth it. I still get 16-17 mpg highway so it's not too bad for me.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Ok well I've decided to re-budget to include a Gryphon at the same time the wheel tire purchase happens. If anything the remapping of the tranny will make a huge difference in drive-ability with those heavy tires. The extra torque will be needed too.

Anybody have an 87 and/or 91 perf tune dyno'd for power gains without mods except a maggy cat back yet? Is it even worth getting the performance tunes if that is my only mod or would the canned tow tunes be just as good?

Last edited by Altatruck; 08-14-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:45 PM
Custom tunes are always better than canned tunes, whether it's on a stock or highly modified truck.

I'd do the DWV/Gotts intake mod as well as it costs less than $10 and has been dyno proven for over 5+ HP at the wheels (I believe 7-10 HP, I can't remember) on a stock truck. A modified intake will give you even more power from your custom tunes.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:44 AM
I'd like to do the Gotts mod but I really will not have to tools to complete it if I have the grind down the tubing to fit in the fender.

I think I'm going to buy an airaid or brute force in the spring though. Having trouble deciding which is the best intake right now but that is a whole other debate for another day. Lots of research left to do.

Quick Reply: Tire Weight and Power Loss