97 F150 brake pads melted onto rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 F150 brake pads melted onto rotor?

Hi,

97 F150 with 85k. Second set of rotors and rebuilt calipers on for 4 years. Had to panic stop from 65 to 0 when some fool stopped in the middle of the road for no reason. Had both feet on the pedal standing up almost, didn't think I was going to make it....I did, by about 6 inches.

Anyways that happened about 6 months ago. Slowly over time it felt like I was getting warped rotors which I thought may have happened from the panic stop. During the start of summer maintenance I was going to replace the front pads (and maybe rotors). When I took the wheel on the drivers side off I could not believe what I saw.

The rotor has (on the engine side of the rotor, drivers side) what appears to be pad material stuck all over it. It looks like it has melted onto the rotor. The pad was about 90% gone. The truck really shakes alot when stopping, especially when the brakes are hot. I have been doing my own brakes for 25 years and never seen anything like what I have on that rotor.

I threw some cheap parts store pads in there for the week so I could get to work, but every night pulling into the driveway there is a terrible burning brake stench, but the wheels are not hot. I'm thinking the new pads are maybe grinding that old stuff off??

Anyway I ordered new rotors, calipers, pads and lines.

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? Should I stay away from certain pad materials?

Thanks.

PS 4 years ago when I did the fronts it was because of a jammed piston. I had billowing smoke from the front right wheel. Boy she was hot. This was from less than a 1 mile round trip to the 7/11 from a cold start. What is with these brakes on these trucks?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your caliper pistons probably seized and are holding the pads to the rotor. I just fixed a caliper that did this and grooved the rotor badly. Now I need new disks.

Quick Reply: 97 F150 brake pads melted onto rotor?