Sorry...another TPMS Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry...another TPMS Question

Hey guys,
I have a 2007 F150 FX4, and I don't know if it has tire pressure monitoring sensors.

I am getting a new set of summer wheels and tires, and I'm not sure if I have the sensors, so I don't know if I need the wheel shop to put new ones on the new wheels.

I live in Canada, and I don't know whether it's law or not to have these sensors. I think my truck was built in 2006, so I'm confused.

Does anybody know of a quick way to find out for sure?

Thanks!!

Old 06-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure about Canada, but all 07 models have TPMS in the US. I would not be a bit surprised if you have it.

Old 06-12-2010, 05:01 AM
Remember that the model year of vehicles doesn't coincide with the calendar year, so a 2006 build date can still be a 2007.

Just drive your truck to your local gas station and park at the air pump. Shut your truck off. Drop the air pressure of one of your tires to say 20. Start the truck back up and see if the truck gives you a warning. The warning may be a combination of a warning message along with the TPMS dummy light on the dash. (It's a yellow colored light that looks like a cross section view of a tire with "!" in it.).

Or visit your local Ford parts counter and ask them to look your truck up using the VIN. They can pull a bill of material for your truck and can see if it was built with the sensors. Heck, they should know if a 2007 F150 has sensors or not to start with.

If you need them, American Muscle is a source for a new set of sensor mounting bands and the mounting cradles. You'll need to packages. Then pick up a set of sensors off ebay (make sure they have the plastic lock clips). Last, also on ebay, pick up the training tool so you can train the sensors to the truck. It's a really easy process.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:02 AM
It takes more than just lowering pressure and starting the truck for the TPMS to set an error. Usually takes some miles of driving. What can be done is put the spare on and drive it about 30 mikes at speeds over 25. It will then through a code because the one sensor is not in sync (moving) with the others.

Last edited by kingfish51; 06-12-2010 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:17 AM
Former Sponsor
If the present wheels are stock, metal threaded stems mean likely a TPMS system. Rubber ones usually don't.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Damon@tirerack
If the present wheels are stock, metal threaded stems mean likely a TPMS system. Rubber ones usually don't.
OE TPMS systems 09 up on the F150 have standard looking rubber valve stems. 07 had the strap on type.

Quick Reply: Sorry...another TPMS Question