New wheels and tires now tire pressure gauge won't go off

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New wheels and tires now tire pressure gauge won't go off

Just put on new wheels and tires and now every time the truck is on the low tire pressure warning light comes on and stays on. Is there any way to hook up the monitoring system again or turn the light off completely? Went from 17" ford wheels and tires to 18" FX4 wheels and AT tires. Thanks.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:03 PM
From what I understand the sensors have to be transferred from your old rims. Do you know if this was done?

If so there seems to be a "reset procedure" Here is a posting you may find useful....https://www.f150online.com/forums/wh...sor-fault.html

Old 04-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Did you replace the TPMS sensors? All 2007 and newer trucks have them mounted with bands around the rim inside the tire.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTPMSArticle.do

You can buy new bands and put your old sensors on your new wheels or buy new sensors. If you buy new ones, you have to take your truck into a dealer to allow the truck to recognize them.

I couple of guys have taken their dash apart and put black tape over the light. This allows it to be removed if you ever want to put the stock wheels and tires back on the truck.

KR-Texas

Old 04-28-2009, 11:22 PM
I was the one who changed out the tires and didn't know about the sensors. I sold the old wheels and tires to a guy so I don't have the old sensors anymore. Can I just turn off the dash sensor somehow?

Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 AM
Other then putting tape over the light or removing the light (if possible??). The only way to turn the light out is to get new sensors. You can usually grab a set of 4 on ebay for like 70 bucks, just make sure they have the mouting craddle and clips. Then grab a set of bands, not from the dealer way too expensive. Have your local tire shop install them on the wheels and re-train the sensors to your truck.

Or just ignore that annoying light. If you've got a truck with the info center, you can enjoy the light, the tone and the message. At least a single reset kills it until the next time you fire the truck up.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:47 AM
So let me get this straight... any rim i put on my truck (factory or not) requires a TPMS sensor and band. And each time i swap from rim to rim i have to retain the system?

So if I were to switch from summer to winter rims (my 20's to 18's) and if both are equipted with TPMS sensor, each time i swap i will have to retain the sensor to not get the idiot light?

That's stupid

I just picked up a set of 20's and have not yet installed them. I bought them used and sure hope they have the sensors already installed.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by f_ast
so let me get this straight... Any rim i put on my truck (factory or not) requires a tpms sensor and band. And each time i swap from rim to rim i have to retain the system?

So if i were to switch from summer to winter rims (my 20's to 18's) and if both are equipted with tpms sensor, each time i swap i will have to retain the sensor to not get the idiot light?

That's stupid

i just picked up a set of 20's and have not yet installed them. I bought them used and sure hope they have the sensors already installed.
thank the government for that

Old 04-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exactly. The government thinks it can fix stupid. If someone is so dumb that they ignore a half flat tire do you really think they will pay attention to a little dash light?

Old 04-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by F_ast
So let me get this straight... any rim i put on my truck (factory or not) requires a TPMS sensor and band. And each time i swap from rim to rim i have to retain the system?
So if I were to switch from summer to winter rims (my 20's to 18's) and if both are equipted with TPMS sensor, each time i swap i will have to retain the sensor to not get the idiot light?
That's stupid
I just picked up a set of 20's and have not yet installed them. I bought them used and sure hope they have the sensors already installed.
FYI,
Even if they DO have the tpms sensors inside they wont just work, you have to get each set of sensors programed for YOUR truck, at your local ford dealer for a fee or free if you have a hook up there. And NO way to turn it off or bypass it, sorry, mine flashes on this set of rims too because I didnt add them either, next set for sure! Aggravating ****!

Last edited by BayouSupercrew; 04-29-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 PM
The easiest way I have heard is to cover the light up with black electrical tape after taking apart the dash. I will do it to mine once my new wheels and tires arrive.

KR-Texas

Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Suspended
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KR-Texas
The easiest way I have heard is to cover the light up with black electrical tape after taking apart the dash. I will do it to mine once my new wheels and tires arrive.

KR-Texas
yep i did that long ago, we can thank all the retards for the tpms

ford is laughing all the way to the bank on this one. also the sensors are sealed and the life expectancy is about 7yrs, so they can ram 1 more in ya when the batteries die.

the light is actually a led and it is soldered right into the cluster. but you can cover it with a piece of electrical tape on the back of the applique. that is what i did.

1.take off the knee panel, 2 bolts on the bolt and then 2 snaps on the top.
2. tilt the wheel down as far as you can
3. 2 more screws to take the gauge surround off, 1 on each side of the wheel, lift it up and it unsnaps.
4. you can leave the cluster plugged in bug IF you unplug the cluster MAKE SURE TO UNHOOK THE BATTERY
5. 4 bolts hold the cluster in remove them
6. carefully unsnap all the clip off the clear lense off the gauge assembly.
7.find the stupid light tpms light, pull up the applique and put a small piece of black tape on the backside
8. if you didn't unhook the battery, turn the key on to make sure the tape is positioned right
9. snap the lense back on
10. 4 screws go back in to hold the cluster
11. if you unhooked the cluster, plug in both of the plugs
12.gauge surround goes back on, 2 more screws
13. snap on the knee panel, 2 screws
14. your done, no stupid sensor light and you saved some cash

Last edited by ATOM; 04-29-2009 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:22 AM
Going to have to do this. Just picked up an '07 with 22's on it. That light is annoying. What do you do about the Tire Pressure message though? Just reset everytime?

Old 05-13-2010, 01:01 AM
yes you have to reset everytime...the 09+ have the sensors in the valve stem and the 08- have the tpms bands....regardless if you have new rims you pretty much have to have them "retrained". the 09 wheels won't work on the 07's and vice versa.....i put the 07 20's on my truck and there was a trip for a while, and then all of a sudden the tire sensors decided not to recognize the sensor trip but im assuming it will happen again and your only defense is to hit the reset button and just live with it, unless you really want to pay to have it right...ebay wants $70 for the bands but any aftermarket wheel co wants $100 per wheel...good luck! i'll just press the button and forget about it....

Last edited by wisconsinFX4; 05-13-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Bummer. Thanks for the info.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:20 PM
i don't get why everyone complains about tpms sensors. sure it's a minor annoyance to have to retrain the vehicle when you swap wheels. but the extra cost is relatively low. seriously i see people buying $2k worth of wheels and tires and then crying about an extra $70-100 in sensors.

if you go to a good tire shop to have your new wheels/tires mounted, they should retrain the sensors for free or very little. we do it for $5, if i charge anything. most times i do it for free because it literally takes about 3 minutes to walk around the truck with the tool and retrain the sensors. it takes longer to swap the wheels.

if you think one sensor with a little light on the dash to annoy you is bad, you should drive a mercedes or bmw. those things have a sensor for everything, literally. brake pads, oil level, trans level, tpms, washer fluid level, brake fluid level, everything.

Quick Reply: New wheels and tires now tire pressure gauge won't go off