f150 vibrating

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f150 vibrating

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys, help me out here..I have a brand new 2008 f150 fX2 with less than 1000 miles on it. When I bought it, it drove perfect but now that I have put 22" inch wheels on it , it has a horrible vibration that wont stop...I have had the 22"inch wheels changed out twice,the tires twice, and I have had it road force balanced twice...I had one person tell me that after I went to a 22" wheel I would need to get it aligned but I just dont know if thats the case....Any suggestions?????

Old 06-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's an issue with the balancing.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I just didnt think it would be a balancing issue because in addition to the 2 times I had it road force balanced, I also had it balanced once at discount tire and once at NTB....

Old 06-02-2008, 12:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could also be a defective wheel or tire.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:25 PM
do you feel the shake in your butt.. ie the seat.. or does the steering wheel shake?

if its your rump( seats) then its usually the rear tires.. if its the steering wheel, its more than likely the front tires.

that wont tell you if its the tires or the wheels, but it will help you narrow down if its coming from the front or the back. if you can isolate it to front or back, you can then rotate the tires, and if it follows the tires, then you know it has something to do with one set of them, either wheels or tires, and you can go from there.

of course.. if the whole darn truck shakes, then all i said is pretty much useless

with the kind of luck i have, i would buy new tires, and get ones that were magicly egg shaped.. LOL

Old 06-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Unfortunately its the front and the back...And I have replaced both the tires and wheels 2 times. I even changed the brand of tires and wheels....

Old 06-02-2008, 02:06 PM
looks like you got my egg shaped wheels and tires.. LOL

i sorry. not sure what i would do then.

oh.. have you taken the wheels off and inspected where they mount up against the hubs/rotors? maybee there is something stuck to the rotor by the studs, that is putting it off center? im not sure, but i am just tossin an idea out there.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

wheels

Originally Posted by ianwen
looks like you got my egg shaped wheels and tires.. LOL

i sorry. not sure what i would do then.

oh.. have you taken the wheels off and inspected where they mount up against the hubs/rotors? maybee there is something stuck to the rotor by the studs, that is putting it off center? im not sure, but i am just tossin an idea out there.
does the bore fit the hub. or is it lug centered

Last edited by JJDH; 06-03-2008 at 06:19 PM. Reason: words.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:20 PM
What I learned from a 22" vibration...

I have a 05 Ford F150 Lariat that I wanted to "trick out" with 22" tires, from the start they had a high speed vibration and steering wheel wobble that was progressively worse at speeds higher than 50-55 mph. Here is my saga:

Initially, the local Ford place looked at it several times and claimed there was nothing wrong. Through many phone calls to local tires shops and places that sold tires here is some pertinent info I learned.

A vibration at 60-80 mph with 20-22 inch rims or larger is almost always a tire or wheel balance problem.

Sometime a regular tire balancer will not get the job done. Some tires need to be balanced on the car or truck at road speed and the cars weight on the wheel.
A hunter GSP9700 tire balancer will balance the tires on the car at road speeds. And will almost even balance a square wheel.
For a location near you that has one click on the link below.

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/FindGSP9700.cfm

I found a local tire shop that 4 out of 5 Tire sales shops in the same area ALL said they send their 20-22 inch rimmed tires (and larger) out to for balancing and wheel maintenance and checking. Right away they found that 1 of my four 22" hubs came from the factory "out of round" by more than 6-8%. They have to put your tire/hub on this special machine and jig to caliper and measure it while turning it around to find this, at no point did the local Ford dealershiop ever even take the rubber off the hub (mainly as I found out, they did not even have the tools to do so with a 22" tire).

This resolved 80% of my issue, the local Ford dealership got a replacement hub from the manufacturer, which they then had me take to the local Tire shop I found on my own, to have mounted and balanced. Now, for the rest of the story.

Once I had four 22" inch hubs that were correctly round within tolerances, the tire balancing began. First the Tire shop found that 3 of the 4 tires had not been properly "clocked" which is a process where the lightest point on a tire's rubber, is matched to the valve stem, or the heaviest part of the rim.
Secondly, the Tire place showed me that whomever had factory balanced the 22" inch hubs, had crammed most of the wheel weights into one specific area (a common practice for smaller tires, but a balance killer for larger and larger hubs). They said that you cannot properly balance a 22" hub when any one spot for wheel weights has any more than 7/8 to 1 ounce of weights at any one spot (best if no spot has more than 1/2 ounce). This is due to lowering the inertial mass or balancing out the inertial mass across the hub. Too much weight in any one spot and the wheel will never balance out at higher speeds.

They showed me where one of my tires had a huge wad of 2.5 ounces of 1/4 ounce wheel weights striped in two large lines on the hub. They rebalanced all the wheels, and none had more than a 1/2 ounce at any spot - with the exception of the one tire that had the huge clump originally. For whatever reason, and they offered several, internal tread seperation on that tire, or a non-visible defect in the alloy hub (like an internal bubble or hollow spot inside the metal). But the machine could not completely 100% balance this tire, everytime the Hunter would come back requesting another 1/4 ounce somewhere. So they re-did that tire, adding no more weights after the first balancing, and left it "as is". This was on what was my left front tire initially. After road testing the wheel balance, I still had a small vibration at 75-80 mph or more. But this was a 98% improvement on my original problem. The tire shop then moved this left front tire to the rear (essentially placing the worst tire on the back) and now the problem is almost unnoticeable, due to the offending tire being on the rear of the truck.

I almost dont notice any vibration or wheel wobble at all unless I get wild and kick it up to 80-85 mph plus, and I guess I deserve wobble if I'm going to speed around like that. Long story short, I have purchased my last set of "dubs", 22's, or whatever the hell-o that they are called. I will settle for a nice set of easy to ride on and balance 18-20 inch rims or lower from now on... Hope this info helps!

Gary "BigMack"
Florida

Old 06-03-2008, 07:38 PM
I have the exact same issue, I have an 07 FX2 2wd, i had the dealer install a 2 1/2" rear shackle drop kit and 305/45/22's. I have a bad shake/vibration between 10 and 22 mph. I have had the truck at the dealership 4 times and 32 days in the last 6 months, they have replaced everything under the sun and have not been able to fix it. I tried for lemon law but was denied because the shackle kit is considered a "performance enhancement". Hope you have better luck.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks for all of the replies guys....Im going to keep trying figure out what this is and I will keep you guys updated....

Quick Reply: f150 vibrating