Can i do Rotors too?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can i do Rotors too?

My girlfriend has a 2005 Nissan Sentra Spec-V (2.5L)

Her brakes are squeeling really bad, so i took it to my place, jacked it up. Removed the tire, an her brake wear indicator is cutting the rotor. Because she never even told me something was wrong with it and she has been driving around like this for 4+ months, the brake wear indicator has cut a groove into the rotor. So i plan on doing her brakes for her, and saving her some money (an probably getting some action in the process), Ive done pads before on my truck, an my sisters car.

How hard are Rotors to do?
I dont have a garage like the size of napa or anything, but i have plenty of tools. No compressor or welder though..What kinda tools do i need? An how simple is it?

Any step by step instructions?

Thanks guys.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:25 PM
Very easy.

By "doing" the rotors I'm thinking you mean replacing them? You can have a shop cut them for you (re-smooths the surface), or you can replace them (which is what I usually recommend).

It's very easy. Start with the same process as doing brake pads, but when you have the caliper off and pistons compressed with old pads, ect... remove the rotor and put the new one on. Obviously make sure you use new pads.

It's easier in most cases to remove a rotor from a smaller car. Give our 4x4 rotors a try sometime... it's fun! As for tools, probably just want to have the tools you use for the pads around, with the addition of a rubber mallet to slap some sense into the rotor if it doesn't want to come off by hand.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by shaunakadub
Very easy.

By "doing" the rotors I'm thinking you mean replacing them? You can have a shop cut them for you (re-smooths the surface), or you can replace them (which is what I usually recommend).

It's very easy. Start with the same process as doing brake pads, but when you have the caliper off and pistons compressed with old pads, ect... remove the rotor and put the new one on. Obviously make sure you use new pads.

It's easier in most cases to remove a rotor from a smaller car. Give our 4x4 rotors a try sometime... it's fun! As for tools, probably just want to have the tools you use for the pads around, with the addition of a rubber mallet to slap some sense into the rotor if it doesn't want to come off by hand.
How many bolts are on the rotor an where are they located?

Yeah, i plan on replacing the pads and rotors. I usually dont re-finish them. I already have it taken apart, why not do it now and save some time ya know?

Old 05-26-2008, 08:15 PM
You may have to remove the caliper mounting bracket to get the rotor off. IIRC, I had to do that on my brother's Altima, I'm not familiar with the Sentra, but most cars only have two bolts holding them on, it's pretty obvious what you need to do. A good size breaker bar and the right Metric socket should be all you'll need.

Most FWD car's I've seen don't have anything holding the rotor on the hub, it just sits there and gets sandwiched between the wheel and hub face.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Thanks Tom

Old 05-26-2008, 08:57 PM
well just to add to whats been said

the wheels that drive the car the caliper will hold the rotor on

the wheels not driving the car there will probably be a dust cap in the center, pull that off and there should be a big nut that holds the rotor on

now you should get a fairly big c clamp to compress the piston in the caliper otherwise it may be a little difficult to get it on

Old 05-27-2008, 05:48 PM
You might want to search the 'net for a Nissan forum, it seems like alot of cars/trucks have different ways of retractnig the calipers, especially rears. If you try to press in the rear calipers on a Miata, you'll be buying new calipers

It never hurts to do a little research first.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:32 PM
Suspended
When you're ready for new rotors I can get you some stoptechs and axxis deluxe pads.

Quick Reply: Can i do Rotors too?