04 Lariat - ? Replacing Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Lariat - ? Replacing Rotors

I'm looking to replace my Front Rotors and pads on my 04 F150 (new body).

When I was checking my brakes, I saw that there are a lot of heavy grooves in the Rotors. Instead of turning the factory's, I rather just buy new. (Not to impressed with the 04' brakes).
I removed my front wheels and the center cap that covers the "all-in-one castle nut". I noticed on the castle nut, it's stamped with "DO NOT REUSE". This is the first for me...

Why am I'm not able to reuse it? Where do I buy new ones?

Old 03-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Don't touch it! Once your tire is off, you only need to remove the break caliper (two bolts on the back of the caliper) The rotor is likely frozen on, so a light tap with a mallet should free it. Search the web for brake removal instructions, or get a Hanes manual.

It also varies, but I think most guys will tell you to get ford brakes, they seem to work the best. If you got extra cash, get slotted rotors

Old 03-04-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Shepard69
Don't touch it! Once your tire is off, you only need to remove the break caliper (two bolts on the back of the caliper) The rotor is likely frozen on, so a light tap with a mallet should free it. Search the web for brake removal instructions, or get a Hanes manual.

It also varies, but I think most guys will tell you to get ford brakes, they seem to work the best. If you got extra cash, get slotted rotors

A light tap????

Old 03-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Now we can't scare people off doing their own brakes. So maybe it might take more than a light tap, but don't be diggin around for the 10lb sledge. When in dought refer to a manual - "gently remove the part".

And before I get hammered for not knowing what I am talking about. The 4x4 front rotors are retained in place by the rim and lug nuts ( and caliper assembly). I do not know if the proceedure is the same for a 2x4!.

Last edited by Shepard69; 03-04-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the help... Last time I replaced brakes was back in the 90's on my 70' Mustang. After getting a few quotes on replacing them, I about choked... Since I'm only at 30k miles and having these issues, plus all the dust; I'm really disappointed in my 04' F-150 Brakes. Hopefully aftermarket rotors and pads will have a much longer life than what I experienced so far.

Now the question is: Which rotors should I look at. I see on here that the Power Slots are the best bang for the buck. Any other brands should I look at? Not looking to break the bank, but don't want to waste money either.

My F-150 is a 2wd Lariat and as you can see, I put less than 10k miles / year; don't need anything to extreme.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Suspended
I know you already mentioned powerslots, but you can read a little more about them here (https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...55#post3094555)

I have been selling Powerslot Rotors and Centric pads and have only heard positive reviews about the combination. I highly recommend going this route, will not break the bank, but will increase braking performance.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Alon@ModBargains
I know you already mentioned powerslots, but you can read a little more about them here (https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...55#post3094555)

I have been selling Powerslot Rotors and Centric pads and have only heard positive reviews about the combination. I highly recommend going this route, will not break the bank, but will increase braking performance.
Yesterday, after looking on your website I sent you an email asking about pricing. Not sure if the website has been updated or not.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ConnRadd
Yesterday, after looking on your website I sent you an email asking about pricing. Not sure if the website has been updated or not.
Gotcha, just put 2 and 2 together.

The reason for no pricing is that one of my uploaders has been working on the axxis pads all week. I will talk to him right now and let you know what he says.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Alon@ModBargains
Gotcha, just put 2 and 2 together.

The reason for no pricing is that one of my uploaders has been working on the axxis pads all week. I will talk to him right now and let you know what he says.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Suspended

Basically, he put that up by accident I don't know why he put them up there in the first place.

I still recommend the powerslot/centric and you won't be disappointed with that combo.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wait a second, if this is a 2 wheel drive vehicle the only way he can get the rotor off is to remove the "Use only once nut". On 2WD the rotor and hub are one piece.

And by the way, the torque is 300 ft. lb. for that nut.

Last edited by MeanGene; 03-04-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by MeanGene
Wait a second, if this is a 2 wheel drive vehicle the only way he can get the rotor off is to remove the "Use only once nut". On 2WD the rotor and hub are one piece.

And by the way, the torque is 300 ft. lb. for that nut.
Yep, 2 WD... Plus, where do I get the new nut? And 300 ft lb... Yikes...

Old 03-04-2008, 09:45 PM
I believe the 2wd has the bearing in the rotor. You will find these rotors to be much more expensive than the 4wd rotors. Also, even if you wanted to get them turned it takes a special mandrel due to the bearing, which not just any shop has. I recently replaced my rotors with Napa premium grade rotors and Carquest blue pads. Huge difference in dust and no more steering shake. But mine is also a 4wd. good luck!!

Old 03-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, 2 WD... Plus, where do I get the new nut? And 300 ft lb... Yikes...
I got mine at the Ford Stealer, but he charges $28.00 a side. You can get the same nut cheaper elsewhere. I got a 300 ft. lb. torque wrench at Harbor freight for around $75.00.

When I did mine, I changed to Bear Eradispeed rotors which come as a two piece set. Now the disk is separate from the hub and can be removed without having to deal with the hub.

I checked the manual and the spindle nut torque is not 300 ft. lb. it's 295 fl. lb. So it's not as bad as you thought.

Also I wanted to add that mine was easy to take off. They use two large sealed ball bearings in the hub and the whole assembly just pulled off, although it does weigh a bit, cast iron and all.

Picture shows the new Bear hub.

With the disk installed.

Last edited by MeanGene; 03-05-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:16 AM
NICE!!!

Thanks bro for sharing this info and simplifying this rough task...

Quick Reply: 04 Lariat - ? Replacing Rotors