E-Brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-Brake

I have a 2002 F-150 4x4. I think something broke on the E-Brake. when I drive at any speed I have a squeek, rattle noise from the driverside rear tire. I jacked it up and spun the tire and pinpointed the spot. Its inside(behind) the rotor. do I need any special tools to work on the E-Brake? if its a spring can I buy just the spring? thanks Joe

Old 01-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Na, nothing special to buy or use really. If you can pull the rotors off, look inside and see what's going on inside. Guaranteed something is broke, might even be part of the shoe itself. I would make sure the hook that the cable grabs to that inside forces the shoes out works fine. If it is seized, take it all apart, take this pivoting or swivelling piece off and wire wheel the crap out of it. The hook has to be separated into 2 pieces, one end in a vice, the other hit with a rubber mallot or something to grab and rock it back and fourth. After they come apart, clean them well and antiseize them where they meet, be liberal. Remember how all these parts go back together, a digital picture or notes may help. You can buy, and if they look crappy, a set of springs, adjusters and retaining clips pretty cheap, otherwise clean them too. Grind the lip down and scuff the rotors inside surface. You're shoes probably need to be replaced anyhow, linings are either cracked or seperating or worse. Parts should be around 100 bucks and it's pretty easy to do. Do a bit of a search on here, pictures are out there and more in depth explaining, but like I said, they are pretty easy to do and seizure is really common.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:32 PM
this is whats left of the spring. can I buy just the spring and where does the spring go? the top one is still together. I only took apart the one because I was in my driveway and it was cold out. thanks joe
tried to post a pic but I cant do it.

Last edited by polarisjoe; 02-02-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:17 PM
The spring goes at the bottom, just above the adjuster or below, can't remember. Just as there is a slot in the top of the shoes where the top spring is, there should be on the bottom. I don't think just the spring is available, unless you find some place and match one up. Ford dealers carry the kit, it's a bag with all the springs, retainers, new pins and adjusters I think and I paid like 25 bucks for it. I would, like I said, replace all the bad stuff at once and service the hell out of them.

How's the shoe's? Are they cracked or separated from the linings? I wish I could dig some pics up myself, but no dice. Once you do the brakes, they seem easy really. It's a pain when you gotta re-do them after 2 years, but mine's lasted a while this last time, 4 yrs maybe now? Getting that pin to stay, plus the shoe, then slipping the retainer down is the bitch though.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:22 PM
everything else looked ok. I will have to give the dealer a call. thanks for the help.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:16 PM
Here's a few pics too in case, forgot the smaller spring fits on the bottom, probably because it does very little anyways. I had to give the rear brakes a good look, need replacing soon so I decided on taking a few pics as well. Hope it helps:

Old 02-07-2008, 11:01 PM
E brake

I have an 02 that i could not get disc off ,also did not no there were mini brake shoes under there. my problem is with the cable from the back is hanging up.

Trending Topics

Old 02-08-2008, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the help. Called the parts store and can get a aftermarket kit for the e-brakes. thanks again for the help and pics.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:20 AM
FIVE SPEED.

If your e cable has stuck for any amount of time the shoes likely wore in to the drum /rotor hat and now theres a lip holding the rotor on. As you can see in the pict above there is a star wheel on the bottom just above the lower spring. You'll need to turn the star wheel so it shrinks the adjust all the way closed. Hopefully this will allow you to wiggle the rotor off. However sometimes you are forced to cut the e-brake cable and push the cable using a punch to get enough slack in the works. If the cable is just dragging lightly have some one turn the wheel while you flex the cable you might get it to slack enough.

Best of luck
44dwarf

Old 02-10-2008, 11:05 AM
thanks alot ,great info
Originally Posted by 44dwarf
FIVE SPEED.

If your e cable has stuck for any amount of time the shoes likely wore in to the drum /rotor hat and now theres a lip holding the rotor on. As you can see in the pict above there is a star wheel on the bottom just above the lower spring. You'll need to turn the star wheel so it shrinks the adjust all the way closed. Hopefully this will allow you to wiggle the rotor off. However sometimes you are forced to cut the e-brake cable and push the cable using a punch to get enough slack in the works. If the cable is just dragging lightly have some one turn the wheel while you flex the cable you might get it to slack enough.

Best of luck
44dwarf

Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Your welcome.

Quick Reply: E-Brake