Tire Dilemma: Mud Terrains vs. All Terrains

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Dilemma: Mud Terrains vs. All Terrains

Howdy!
I've got an 02 Supercrew FX4 w/ 4.6L engine and 3.73LS gears. My factory tires (Goodyear Wrangler AT/S in 265/70-17) are almost worn, and I really want to get rid of them after my last offroad fiasco, here's the thread on it: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292413. Anyway, I've got some money coming my way, and it'll be a good time to get new tires. I'm stuck between getting all terrains or mud terrains. Here what I'm looking at:

1) Nitto Terra Grappler ATs in 295/70-17
Pros: The cheapest of my three options at $750 for the whole set, also comes in a true 33" tire (although the outer diameter difference is only 0.55" between a 285/70-17 and 295/70-17).
Cons: Tread pattern looks like it won't self-clean as well as BFG ATs, definitely not as well as mud terrains.

2) BFG ATs in 285/70-17
Pros: A proven all terrain tire, looks like it self-cleans well, will probably do better in mud than Nittos. Middle of the group in price at $825 for the set.
Cons: Does not self-clean in mud very well (I have witnessed this)

3) BFG MTs in 285/70-17
Pros: A real mud terrain tire that wears decently well, and has good performance in mud. Probable the best offroad tire out of these three.
Cons: Noisy, heavy, and the most expensive at $915 for the set.

So my dilemma is that I can't choose between the mud terrain and all terrain tires. I got stuck really bad a while back, and may have had a better chance of making it out with the Mud terrains. The guy who tried to pull me out had BFG all terrains, and his tires were slick with mud just like mine were. But I only have a year of college left, and after that I'll be in the Marine Corps, where my opportunities to go offroad w/ buddies will probably be few and far between. I want a good offroad tire, and after getting stuck that last time, will probably avoid nasty mud all together.

So my question is this: Are mud terrain tires worth the higher price? I realize that there are many kinds of mud, and sometimes it's better to just avoid it, but do how much better do mud terrains perform than all terrains?

Last edited by cpaggie_07; 07-28-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:26 PM
you should also take a look at the Toyo Open Country M/T's...they are a excellent tire and are much more quiet on the road compared to other mudds. i don't have them personally(i have toyo a/t's) but it seems like a very popular choice in the 2004+ forum.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by gonefishin10
you should also take a look at the Toyo Open Country M/T's...they are a excellent tire and are much more quiet on the road compared to other mudds. i don't have them personally(i have toyo a/t's) but it seems like a very popular choice in the 2004+ forum.
I thought about the Toyo MTs, but those three tires I talked about are readily available and in stock at Discount Tire here in College Station. They have pretty good customer service and repair/replacement policies, and I wanted to avoid ordering from a company that would have to ship them (prices on e-Bay are great, but shipping makes them expensive).

Really my question concerns mud terrains as opposed to all terrains. Brand it not as important to me as type. Although I will probably not buy a tire that isn't a well respected and proven brand.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Sounds like you got more to look at. What do you want your truck to look like. What type of driving do you do most of ? Is noise a problem for you? Out of the 3 you mention, I've heard the Nitto last a good while, not sure how they do in the mud. BFG's AT are ok in mud but you are right that they do not self clean very well. BFG's MT, well they are designed for mud they will wear more quickly then AT tires. So it all comes down to what you want to do

Old 07-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Out of the three options you gave i would say that option 3 would be the best. They are the best for mudding and offroading. They will also look much more aggressive. However, they will not be as good in the snow (if that is a factor) and they will be kinda noisy (although i don't know why you listed that as a con... ). I think you should get the MT's.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:38 PM
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
CPaggie, I don't think you could go wrong on any of the above tires but for some good low priced mudders check out the Maxxis buckshot's or the bighorn's. I'd crank up the t-bars and squeeze on some 305x70x17's!

Old 07-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Well guys, thanks to you all for helping me out. I think I'll go with the mud terrains, probably the BFG. I really don't do any crazy off-road driving, but was just really disappointed by the performance of the factory ATs and my buddy's BFG ATs. I was just stuck in a flat field, no crazy rock trails, or mud pits (well, it turned out I was in a shallow pond type depression in the ground). Mostly just driving on farm trails that get slippery and rutted when it rains (and DAMN has it been raining here in this part of Texas lately). Mud terrains will probably outperform all terrains under most conditions anyway, right (other than wet paved roads)? But how come they don't perform well in snow?

Old 07-28-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by gonefishin10
Definitely what he said! The Open Country M/T's rock!

Old 07-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Those Toyo M/Ts look mean! I'm going to consider those, now that I'm sure I want a mud terrain.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by cpaggie_07
Those Toyo M/Ts look mean! I'm going to consider those, now that I'm sure I want a mud terrain.
You'll be glad you did. They are the best truck tires I have ever had.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. They are the best tire out there. They are quiet and ride extremely well on the road.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by keith_bennett
I agree. They are the best tire out there. They are quiet and ride extremely well on the road.
how do the toyos wear? i know MTs wear quicker then ATs, but of the different MT tires, how do the Toyos wear compared to the others??

Old 07-29-2007, 01:36 PM
There is a night and day difference between an A/T and M/T offroad. They'll well worth the extra price.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:16 PM
I was also looking at a set of Maxxis Buckshot Mudders in 305/70-17. These are a better size than 285/70-17, and since I've got 3.73s I'm not too worried about the weight. How about rubbing? I've got my truck leveled out with the torsion bars, and I expect to trim the lower plastic bumper anyway. Those Maxxis Mudders are significantly cheaper than the BFGs or Toyo M/Ts, so they probably don't last as long do they? If they're okay tires, I might buy them and use the money saved to buy some Hellas for my grille guard!

Old 07-29-2007, 04:22 PM
i would go w/ the bfg ats. I cant wait for my factory goodyears to wear out so i can get a set.The mud tas are great but if you spend any time on the street they are extremley nosiy!!

Quick Reply: Tire Dilemma: Mud Terrains vs. All Terrains