The Outdoors Off-roading, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, and Weaponry. What are you out doing in your F-Series?

I'm stuck, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm stuck, need some advice

Here why I'm a retard noob:

So I'm on my way home from Home Depot, and there's a bit of a storm rolling into College Station, it looks as if the sky is in flames. It looks cool, so I decide to pull off the side of the road to get a good picture of it near some huge piles of gravel being used for local road work. While I'm there, I think "I haven't put the truck in 4x4 in a while." So I put it in 4 Hi and drive around the gravel piles, and decide to make the turn around in the huge grassy field. All goes well until I get almost back to the gravel piles, and my truck just begins to sink. I tried to rock it out in 4 Lo, but to no avail, I was stuck. I ended up on the edge of a soggy swampy area in the field. And it's now dark. I frantically searched through my cell phone trying to get ahold of someone with a 4x4 truck who could pull me out. Finally, I get ahold of a friend of a friend, and he comes to meet me.

I try to convince him that it's a good idea to pull me out at an angle from the semi-dry side of the field, but he decides to do a straight on pull from the front. So he goes around the gravel piles and backs up to me. Turns out his 3/4 ton Chevy is 2WD, and he get stuck about 50 yards in front of me, and I drag another person into the mess. After about another 45 minutes of call around, we get another guy to come out. Same thing, straight on pull from the front, but the ground is too soft, and couldn't get the Chevy to budge. We tried to dig out the back tires and shovel gravel from the pile, but that didn't work either. NOW WE ARE BOTH ****ED.

It seems as if the ground is either too soft, or too wet for anyone to get traction, even in 4 Lo.

Any advice? I'll post the pics tomorrow, hopefully we get out.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah, the joy of having a big *** tractor at home.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:27 AM
No kidding, we're trying to find a tractor! It just sucks, because we're not even stuck that bad.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by cpaggie_07
Here why I'm a retard noob:

So I'm on my way home from Home Depot, and there's a bit of a storm rolling into College Station, it looks as if the sky is in flames. It looks cool, so I decide to pull off the side of the road to get a good picture of it near some huge piles of gravel being used for local road work. While I'm there, I think "I haven't put the truck in 4x4 in a while." So I put it in 4 Hi and drive around the gravel piles, and decide to make the turn around in the huge grassy field. All goes well until I get almost back to the gravel piles, and my truck just begins to sink. I tried to rock it out in 4 Lo, but to no avail, I was stuck. I ended up on the edge of a soggy swampy area in the field. And it's now dark. I frantically searched through my cell phone trying to get ahold of someone with a 4x4 truck who could pull me out. Finally, I get ahold of a friend of a friend, and he comes to meet me.

I try to convince him that it's a good idea to pull me out at an angle from the semi-dry side of the field, but he decides to do a straight on pull from the front. So he goes around the gravel piles and backs up to me. Turns out his 3/4 ton Chevy is 2WD, and he get stuck about 50 yards in front of me, and I drag another person into the mess. After about another 45 minutes of call around, we get another guy to come out. Same thing, straight on pull from the front, but the ground is too soft, and couldn't get the Chevy to budge. We tried to dig out the back tires and shovel gravel from the pile, but that didn't work either. NOW WE ARE BOTH ****ED.

It seems as if the ground is either too soft, or too wet for anyone to get traction, even in 4 Lo.

Any advice? I'll post the pics tomorrow, hopefully we get out.

Find a Jeep or any other vehicle with lockers.

Your problems are traction(1) and traction(2) and weight. Your 4-lo is really 2-lo... possibly 3-lo. You need all 4 tires to spin... something to get traction. Assuming you have street oriented tires, they will do nothing for you in the mud... you need traction. If the vehicle has true off-road tires, you can air down your tires, hoping to grab ahold of something. A lighter Jeep will have an easier time getting in the area to pull you out.

What would be even better, is someone with a winch. If your in the vehicle, open your hood before they start winching though...

Old 07-07-2007, 03:05 AM
I'll come pull you out for the nominal fee of $2500.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Well, we finally got our trucks out. We decided to call a wrecker. Fortunately, we both had AAA. But the wrecker they sent to us refused to try and get us out because he was afraid he'd get stuck and didn't have enough winch cable. We called another company with a 300 foot winch cable, and they came out. But they got stuck in the process, and had to have ANOTHER TOW TRUCK come pull him out with my buddy's Chevy 2500 attached. Then, they backed into a dry part of the field, and pulled me out. Also, the police showed up, lectured us, and made us attempt to fill in the ruts (it was state property, evidently). But all in all, I think we got off pretty easily, no one got hurt, nothing got broken, not fines/tickets from the cop, and it only cost $75 for each of us. I was expecting $300 at least. Anyway, I'm staying out of the mud until I get better tires and a winch. I guess some lessons just need to be learned the hard way.

Also, I'd post some pictures, but they level of stuck really was not anything impressive compared to that other thread.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
That sounds like fun...

I wish my truck has 4x4 so I could get super stuck. I got my '99 stuck in my field once... but I've got a New Holland 4x4 390 Turbo tractor so it really helps.

Quick Reply: I'm stuck, need some advice