2006 SuperCrew FX4 with Factory 20" - New Tires Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 SuperCrew FX4 with Factory 20" - New Tires Needed

Hello All,

I have been searching around the posts looking into tire choices for my truck. I purchased the 06’ F150 well aware of it's off-roading characteristics as I also have the FX4 package.

The stock 20" are great on the road at higher speeds and I feel they handle great on normal or even wet street conditions. I was recently in Vermont and I was not so impressed with the wheels/tires driving up and down snow covered mountain roads. I was of course using 4 wheel drive but I need something with better grip while still being streetable.

I like the look of the Toyo Open Country MT and it appears from everyone’s feedback they are still reasonably quit on the street. I do a lot of long highway driving with minimal payloads most of the time. I also do a lot of country driving on dirt/mountain roads so the Toyo's look like they will serve great in those conditions. I did not look into their availability for the 20" because i feel it would be smarter to downsize the rim size to maybe 18."

Any and all feedback would be highly appreciated. I like the look of the 20” factory wheels and will consider down sizing the wheels. My concerns are if any of the new combinations will affect my suspension or drivability. Thanks again.

Old 02-11-2007, 02:10 PM
I added the BFG Ko's and love them. And they now come in more 20" sizes.

Nebraska

Old 02-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by rynotar
Hello All,

I have been searching around the posts looking into tire choices for my truck. I purchased the 06’ F150 well aware of it's off-roading characteristics as I also have the FX4 package.

The stock 20" are great on the road at higher speeds and I feel they handle great on normal or even wet street conditions. I was recently in Vermont and I was not so impressed with the wheels/tires driving up and down snow covered mountain roads. I was of course using 4 wheel drive but I need something with better grip while still being streetable.

I like the look of the Toyo Open Country MT and it appears from everyone’s feedback they are still reasonably quit on the street. I do a lot of long highway driving with minimal payloads most of the time. I also do a lot of country driving on dirt/mountain roads so the Toyo's look like they will serve great in those conditions. I did not look into their availability for the 20" because i feel it would be smarter to downsize the rim size to maybe 18."

Any and all feedback would be highly appreciated. I like the look of the 20” factory wheels and will consider down sizing the wheels. My concerns are if any of the new combinations will affect my suspension or drivability. Thanks again.

If you are interested in going down to an 18" FX4 wheel/tire with low miles lets talk because I would like the OEM 20s. Current pics in my gallery. Send me a PM if you want and we can talk. FYI VT is where I grew up and driving can suck in the winter.

Old 02-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Nebraska: I like the look of your tires for sure... The more i think about it the more I like the look of the 20's. Are your tires significantly noisier than the scorpion's? Is the nadling or anything effected during normal street/highway driving? Is the off-road driving signifcantly better with the KO's?

AirborneRacer: I will let you know when i decide... I may keep the 20"s for the summer time and just get a pair of 18"s for the winter. I really like the look of the BFG KO's and i will check and see if they make the TOYOs for 20"... I'll keep you posted

Old 02-11-2007, 04:02 PM
i would recomend getting the toyo's, my dad has the at ko's on his SD and he has not been very happy with them, but i garrenty you would not be dissapointed with the toyos!

Old 02-11-2007, 07:18 PM
The ride is great!! I have not noticed any difference in handling or driving due to the tires. I only do light offroading so they work great for me. I had them when I lived in Nebraska on my other trucks and they handled snow great. I have always had good luck with BFG's Plus they last a long time if rotated right.

Nebraska

Old 02-12-2007, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by 06FX4
i would recomend getting the toyo's, my dad has the at ko's on his SD and he has not been very happy with them, but i garrenty you would not be dissapointed with the toyos!
+1 for the Toyo's. i've heard great things from those tires and thats what i'm getting next.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Nebraska, I have the same truck. That size tire looks sweet with those wheels. How do you like the banks exhaust?

Old 02-14-2007, 06:42 AM
I love the exhaust. I find myself making it downshift just to hear the exhaust!!!

Nebraska

Old 02-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Nebraska is the reason why I have BFGs...now you got me thinking about that exhaust. Someone told me you gave me props on another thread, tried looking for it to respond but didn't have any luck...but THANKS! Remember...you were the first!

WRK4GAS

Old 02-14-2007, 02:59 PM
WRK4GAS,

Thanks man!!! The exhaust is well worth it.

Nebraska

Old 02-14-2007, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by 06FX4
06FX4 - Will they still be 100% compatible with my stock suspension? I was looking on Toyo's site and it states that the MT's are designed for lifted trucks. With the stock 20's will clearence be an issue?

Old 02-14-2007, 09:21 PM
Nebraska,
Was that exaust custom? I've heard that no one makes an aftermarket kit for the 6.5" Does ut dump out the side. Can't tell in your gallery

Old 02-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Old 02-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Banks makes a Monster exhaust for ours now, but I had the wrong one sent to me. The only difference between the kits is the length if a single pipe. All the other bends are the same. It ended up working, I just cut the factory exhaust at the right length after the cats. I have had it on for almost 4 months and no problems!! It exits in the stock location.

Nebraska

Quick Reply: 2006 SuperCrew FX4 with Factory 20" - New Tires Needed