Tire pressure WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 02:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire pressure WTF?

ok heres my question it might sound simple but I wanna know what tire pressure I should use. My tires BFGoodrich AllTerrains say max tire pressure with max load cold 50psi......The sticker inside the door say tires fitted to this vehicle with tire size 265/70/17 the tire pressure should be 34psi front 34 psi back. Now thats not even close, so I went on the internet of course and looked up proper tire pressure and a tech from BF Goodrich says if you want to get the best tire pressure for you veh the use this formula that they use.
(Veh weight/100) +2psi all around and +2psi in the rear for loads. I did the math and it came out to 49.81psi, so it was close to what the tire says. So what do I use? Anyone.

Last edited by Arkas; 01-06-2006 at 02:10 AM. Reason: I saw a mistake, my first one ever...lol
Old 01-06-2006, 02:18 AM
You use the recommended tire pressure for the tires not what the door info says. The information panel on the door applies to the stock tires that came on your truck. If you had replaced the stock tires with identical tires you would be able to follow the door info however the BFG's are not your stock tires, therefore you use the pressure recommended by BFG. I have the TA KO's also and I run them about 35psi. . .less air = smoother highway ride, unfortunately it also = less fuel mileage. If you are running with a load I would recommend bumping the pressure to the 50psi or close to it.

BTW, enjoy your BFG's. I really like mine!

Last edited by wild-mtn-rose; 01-06-2006 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I disagree. The "max psi" listed on the tires sidewall is for towing/hauling heavy loads, not daily driving. For daily driving, you should be somewhere between what the door sticker says and what the tires' max psi is listed. Personally, I've found 40psi to be a good compromise between milage and comfort.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've gotta agree with wandell here. The 50 PSI number is a MAXIMUM pressure number - for heavy loads. It's not an everyday number. Our engines have a miximum recommended RPM number too, but I wouldn't recommend running them at that for long. I think 50 PSI will make your truck ride like a floor jack too. I do agree that the number on your door is for the tires that came with your vehicle though.

Old 01-06-2006, 11:07 PM
There is no recommended pressure setting listed on tires, just the max. For trucks you should probably run at least 35. I plan on running 38. If you haul heavy loads or tow you should probably bump it up to 40psi rear.

Old 01-07-2006, 02:22 AM
OK y'all, I may be just a "dumb chick" but you all are saying the same thing I did just in different words.

Originally Posted by wild-mtn-rose
You use the recommended tire pressure for the tires not what the door info says. The information panel on the door applies to the stock tires that came on your truck. If you had replaced the stock tires with identical tires you would be able to follow the door info however the BFG's are not your stock tires, therefore you use the pressure recommended by BFG. I have the TA KO's also and I run them about 35psi. . .less air = smoother highway ride, unfortunately it also = less fuel mileage. If you are running with a load I would recommend bumping the pressure to the 50psi or close to it.

BTW, enjoy your BFG's. I really like mine!
Sorry my wording confused you guys, I'll try to use smaller words next time

Last edited by wild-mtn-rose; 01-07-2006 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:31 AM
Suspended
wait....If your tires are oem...use the info on the door piller...If not than the number of plys ( load range ) in your tire, and useage dictate tire Psi....For a P rated tire, don't go byhound 35 PsI, and don't put any load in the bed....for a c rated tire, 40 to 45 is okay empty, or with a 1/2 ton load, depending on how the springs handel your load...

Old 01-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Try to remember it is about pressure, not volume.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm a tire and wheel guy and yes 40 psi is what you want.

Old 01-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would go by what it says on the tire itself...

whatever it says max p.s.i. cold is what i would do

go by the TIRE not the door tag

the tire manufacturer has their own rules for p.s.i. so the tire will do what its supposed to without failure

common sense now

...zap!

Old 01-09-2006, 01:29 PM
SM
Umm, have to disagree with you, Zap.

I will use my other vehicle as an example...2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Came from the factory with LT245/75R16 Goodyear MTR's (load range E). Tire sidewall says "Max load 3042 lbs @ max inflation 80 psi. Door sticker says 33 psi, and some Rubicon owners will say 33 is a little high for maximum comfort and tire wear. There is no way the tires in this example need to be anywhere close to 80 psi (unless I had a total load on the tires of 12,168 lbs ) 80 psi would make the Jeep (which already has a firm ride) ride like a floor jack, and wear the center tread to nothing in short order.

You really don't need to go a whole lot over the door sticker recomended pressure unless you are heavily loaded. For instance, the door sticker on many of our F150's probably says something in the ballpark of 35 psi. Even if you went up a size or two, or went to LT tires with a max pressure of 80 psi, you still don't need to go anywhere near 80, or even 60 or 70 psi. Perhaps 40-45 psi would be sufficient for daily driving, with maybe a bump to 50 or 55 for a really heavy load.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:42 PM
I have the LT285/70/17 BFG's on my truck. I run them for everyday driving at 40-42 PSI. Seems to be a good compromise. Even when I am pulling my travel trailer behind the 150, I don't adjust them at all. With these being LT and D rated tires they do ride a little rougher than the OEM tires. But I'll trade that anyday for the crappy GY RT/S's that came on the truck. I hated those things.

Old 01-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Look whatever you do, DO NOT put the tires at the max PSI. At that point the tires are over-inflated and you will see the results. Handling would be terrible as only the very middle of the tire would have good contact with the road. Running at max psi would also very quickly wear down the inside of the tire. And just wait until you had to slam down on the brakes on a wet or loose surface with your tire inflated to the max. That would not be a pretty picture.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure WTF?