Michelin's NEW Cross Terrain SUV Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2001, 08:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Michelin's NEW Cross Terrain SUV Tires

I see that Michelin just came out with a new tire, the Cross Terrain SUV. Can anyone provide any insight, details, or experience with this tire? Thanx in advance.

------------------
2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L 4WD, C&C group, towing package, beige leather interior, captain's chairs, 6 CD Changer, 255/70R16, all-weather floor mats, factory fog lamps, Mobil1 5W-30 Synthetic w/ Puralator filter

MODS
Ford Bug Deflector (2/15/00)
Superchip (3/11/00)
Airaid (3/23/00)
Edelbrock IAS shocks (3/23/00)
Under Seat Locking Storage Drawer (6/6/00)
MPC Rear Air Foil (7/2/00)
Super-White Headlamps and Foglamps (1/15/01)
Gibson Swept Side catback (2/8/01)
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar (2/8/01)
Ventshade Window Ventvisors (3/4/01)

Old 04-06-2001, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jmartinb: here is the site for the tire. http://www.michelin.com/us/eng/tire/auto/suv/index.html

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

------------------
1994 F-150 XLT Supercab, Long Box, 302 EFI, 3.55 LS, Superchip, K&N FIPK, Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs, Automatic, Single Catalytic converter, followed by a Raven Z-55 muffler and finished off with chrome tips (2 1/2" to 3"), Royal Blue in and out, Captain Chairs. Chrome Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 105S 235/75R15 (Summer), OEM Aluminum Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 108S (Winter), Lightly Tinted, Soft Tonneau Cover, Ford Receiver Hitch Cover & Lock, J&J Enterprises Stainless Steel AirDam with KC driving lights, Lund Supersteps, Lighted Grab Bars, VTech Slotted Taillight Covers, Alpine CDM-7829 Head Unit, PPI 4800 Amplifier, Kicker 10" Solo Baric Sub with Custom Box and Kicker Impulse 6.5 Mid & Tweets.

Old 04-06-2001, 07:34 PM
I was just at a Ford FastLane for an oil change the other day and lucky for me the manager had left the sales piece on the counter to read. Now this was not the consumer brochure, but the trade brochure. It basically says that owners of premium SUV's (Lexus, Navigator, Denali, etc) want a premium SUV tire. The piece went on to talk about sales of luxury SUV's and their expected tire replacement. These things will be priced at a premium, however,there is no difference between the Cross Terrains and other premium Michelins (other than price and tread pattern). They will perform the same, with the same load rating, tread life and handling characteristics.

Hope this helps.

------------------
98 Red F150 XLT,
Reg Cab, Short Box
Leer Tonneau
265/70R16 Bridgestone Duelers

Old 04-08-2001, 01:18 AM
Thumbs up

J-150,

If they do that, that's pretty good. I ran Michelins on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and at 52k miles they looked new. They're a great tire. I just hope they don't jack up the price simply to market them.

I'm considering Pirelli Scorpion Zero's for my Expy. I'm just completly out of excuses to give my wife for why I need to replace something that's perfectly good with something else. I've done good so far but I'm afraid she's going to put her foot down one of these times when she's paying the Amex bill and see's several hundred dollars I've spent again. I'm going to have to start justifying, and tires are really hard to find excuses for.

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!
  • Airaid FIPK
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust
  • Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
  • Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
  • Xenon Super White Head and Driving Lights
  • Clear Corners (installed then removed and reinstalled OEM's)
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof
  • Century Child Seat!
  • Front Polyurethane Anti-Sway Bar Bushings recieved, wrong part number

-->Come share my Addiction<--

Old 04-27-2001, 12:45 AM
I work for costco (the tire shop of course) and we have yet to jack up the prices. I would expect them to go up a fair amount in the future but recently, I've seen the 265'70 r'17's for around 130 I think. Still cheaper than some of the LTX's

The Idea behined these tires was for the SUV's and it is a premium tire. It offers an excemtionally smooth ride while still having an aggressive look and some off road abilities. If you're looking for smooth, go with this tire, great for an expedition (255'70'16) If you're looking for a still smooth truck tire, go with the Mich LTX m/S. I love em!

------------------
2000 4.2 Supercab XLT
What I've done: K&N filter, Magna flow custom exaust (From where cat's join, 3"in, two 2.5" out the rear), Michelin LTX M/S 265/75/16's, MTX Thunderform custom box with two 6000 series 8" subwoofers and Mtx 120 amp.
Plans: Lund hood deflector, superchip, Poweraid, Xenon sport Flares, (custom ram-air idea?)
New: Pioneer DEH-P6300 Head unit (I definately reccomend it!)

Old 05-25-2001, 11:07 AM
That tread kind of looks like a street tread. Doesn't look like it would be much of an all-terrain tire. More of a tire that might see an occasional dirt road.

Old 05-26-2001, 11:19 AM
I agree completely, I have a set of 265/70/17's on the rack. We ordered them for my boss's 01 Expy to replace the Firestones. I don't like the tread pattern for a 4x4, Not aggressive at all(street tread). As far as price they list for $175 in our book. A personal opinion is, I like the Mich LTX M/S much better. That is what i put on my wife's Explorer to replace her Firestones. I love them they ride great and are wearing really good considering she drives 100 miles a day to work. My only complaint on the LTX M/S is they aren't real aggressive either.

Trending Topics

Old 05-27-2001, 03:13 PM
That's really my complaint with all of the "approved" replacement tires Ford has listed for my Exp. All seem to be more of a "all-season" tire rather than an "all-terrain" tire. The Michelin's have great ratings, but simply don't look agressive enough to be considered an AT. My Exp being a 4x4, I want an "all-terrain" tire for my replacement of the firestones. Yesterday I ordered 5 Bridgestone Dueler AT's...Consumer report had them rated as the top AT tire on the market. I want the best replacement I can get. Just a bit worried until I get the reimbursement check, since these tires were not on the list of "approved" replacements...

Old 06-05-2001, 10:42 PM
Well MHMCGILL, It isn't that us dealers don't want to replace them with any tire you want, It is the case that FORD tells us what tires are approved, And thus that is what we can put on and nothing else. We can't even get anything else.

Old 06-06-2001, 12:03 AM
Hey sixguy. You can replace the Firestones with anything you want. It's just that Ford dealers will not do any replacement other than approved tires. What that means is the dealers are only stocking tires that ford got a deal on. You can go to any tire dealer, pay for them yourself, then take the old firestones to your dealer for them to process a refund. In about six weeks you get a check. Basically ford wants the firestones off the road. Don't forget the spare.

------------------
'00 EB AWD.K&N,
Whitewalls turned in.
K&N Cat-Back
Clarion Mobile Video

Old 06-06-2001, 12:30 AM
I agree with Screwdriver on having tires that actually look like all terrain on a 4x4. I recently purchased Mickey Thompson Baja Radial MTX's. I was just about to purchase the Michelin LTX M/S but seen the Mickey's in a 4x4 magazine and liked them. I went to a local Mickey dealer and after they were installed they looked awesome.

------------------
1997 F-150 4x4 S/Cab
4.6L Auto

Old 06-10-2001, 10:59 AM
Thumbs up

Just replaced The stock GYs with the Cross Terrains. Very pleased....
First choice was the BFG All Terrains. Couldn't find a set in 265/70/r17 anywhere. They have been on national BO since January??!!! Confirmed by 4 different stores. Ordering them was pointless, as the stores could not provde an ETA. The cheapest price I could find was $177.00 mounted and balanced. Sooo...the only tire I could find in my size were the Michelins. I wasn't too optimistic about them at first. They do ride VERY NICE, especialy with the new RS-9000s I put on as well. A short test on the beach and some dirt roads showed no problems. The tread is not too aggressive, but the side sipes (sp?) are serrated and gave plenty of grip in the sand. No rain here in NY for the past week, so I don't know about wet traction yet, but it HAS to be better than the AT/S GYs I just got rid of...I hated those tires!!! Paid $160 each out the door for the Cross Terrains.
For those of you that do a mix of HW and off road, A big thumbs up for the Michelins!

------------------
1999 F-150 4x4 XLT SC FS ORP Dark Graphite interior, Dark Toreador Red, Power (Driver's) Captain's Chairs, 6 Disk CD, Remote Keyless Entry, Rear Slider
5.4, 3.73
Mods:
Manik grill guard, Westin Nerfs, Lund Moon Visor, Leer TSC600 hard bed cover, Duraliner Drop-in bed liner. Deflecta Shield II bug guard, Ford Vent Visors, Remote Start, Lojack, Airaid FIPK.
Rancho RS-9000
Issues:
5.4 "Slapper" replaced with New 2K at 12k mi.
Driver's Door Crack Repaired at 15k mi.
Leaky Slider repaired
New A/C compressor
New GEM to fix 4x4 engagement issue

Old 06-10-2001, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S-76:
I agree with you about the Michelin CrossTerrains. Coupled with my Edelbrock IAS shocks, I really appreciate the extra handling on dirt and wet pavement. It's even better that we get them for free!

------------------
Jeff's Expy: 2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L 4x4, C&C group, beige leather interior, captain's chairs, 6 CD Changer, towing package, Mobil1 5W-30 Synthetic w/ Puralator filter

MODS
  • Ford all-weather floor mats (2/15/00)
  • Ford Bug Deflector (2/15/00)
  • Superchip (3/11/00)
  • Airaid (3/23/00)
  • Edelbrock IAS shocks (3/23/00)
  • Under Seat Locking Storage Drawer (6/6/00)
  • MPC Rear Air Foil (7/2/00)
  • Ford fog lamps (11/15/00)
  • Wizard Super-White Headlamps and Foglamps (1/15/01)
  • Gibson Swept Side catback (2/8/01)
  • Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar (2/8/01)
  • Ventshade Window Ventvisors (3/4/01)
  • Stull Billet Grill (4/21/01)
  • APC Clear Corners (4/21/01)
  • Nokia Hands-Free Phone System (5/7/01)
  • PIAA Super White Running Board Lamps (5/8/01)
  • Michelin CrossTerrain 255/70R16 Tires (5/30/01) (*Due to Ford Recall)
  • Energy Suspension Front Anti-Sway Bar Poly Bushings Set (6/2/01)

Old 06-10-2001, 11:02 PM
Nope, not free for me...
I had the GoodYear AT/S as original equip. Those should have been recalled as well, just because of how pitiful they were.

Quick Reply: Michelin's NEW Cross Terrain SUV Tires