Old 11-05-2002, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Triton 3 Valve Info

Here it is folks....

http://media.ford.com/article_displa...ticle_id=13620

Old 11-05-2002, 10:05 PM
Talking

And I believe I can see my new truck wrapped around that engine.

Old 11-05-2002, 11:49 PM
Sounds pretty good, although it makes its peak hp real high, and its tq is higher too. It also seems very complex. Maybe they need ot go back to the pushrod 5.0 and 5.8L engines LOL

Old 11-06-2002, 01:54 AM
Should be interesting to see a face off between the new 5.4 and the 5.7 Hemi which will be seing duty in the Dodge 1/2 ton trucks starting in a few months. It's rated at 345hp and 375lb ft . . .

Old 11-06-2002, 09:15 PM
I think the Hemi is only available in 3/4 ton applications, but either way this new 3 valve 5.4l is still going to have to compete with the Hemi head on because the new 5.4 will be the standard engine option on Ford 3/4 tons.

I'm a little dissapointed with the numbers on this new 5.4l, and if the numbers are going to be 300hp @ 5000rpm and 365ft/lb @ 3750rpm I'm not all too interested in it. Had the numbers been more like 315-325hp and 375-385ft/lb torque I would have wanted one in a heartbeat. I love Ford trucks, but they are pi$$ing me off by not trying to really attack the competition. I'm sure a lot more people would come running over to Ford if they had an engine with the numbers I would have liked to see. Don't just give us 15hp more than a current 5.3l chevy, give us something that has 30-40hp more and now competes with chevy's 6.0l. I think that would really put a hurtin on GM's truck division.

Old 11-06-2002, 09:27 PM
Hemi is available across the board in the 1500s NOW

If Ford keeps its weight down (Dodge is about 500 lbs heavier now )
They will be close inperformance but the hemi will still have the edge for like models
If the 2004's weight is up the Dodge has a distinct advantage

Ford is not going to be able to make that claim highest in class as in that article

Old 11-06-2002, 09:39 PM
i agree with I Laugh, im a bit disappointed too. with the release of the new hemi, i was expecting ford to at least MATCH the power output to dodge's engine!

Old 11-06-2002, 11:17 PM
I'm a little dissapointed with the numbers on this new 5.4l, and if the numbers are going to be 300hp @ 5000rpm and 365ft/lb @ 3750rpm I'm not all too interested in it.
15hp shy of what you wanted so you are ready to walk away?

Sounds like a few of you guys need to go buy a Lightning. Don't you think that the planned 5.4L is going to be great for any working applications you throw at it? Or are you just wanting to win those stop light races? New engine sounds great to me.

-Brian

Old 11-06-2002, 11:43 PM
Unhappy You guys sound like a bunch of grocery getters!

I'm looking forward to this motor. The part I liked best was 90% of the torque between 1500-4500 rpm. The Chevy boys are so concerned with hp #'s but have you ever listened to them gripe about pulling a trailer, their trucks don't have any grunt at normal driving speeds. The Hemi sounds interesting, but remember, it's in a DODGE.

Old 11-07-2002, 12:22 AM
I too wish Ford would have upped the power a bit more than that. Allthough in the past even though Ford had lower HP#'s, they made the power where needed and always performed with or better than the comp.

I was told by a local Dodge dealer that the Hemi ( or maybe a smaller version) should be out around January. I'm not a Dodge fan but if you bought a regular cab, short bed with a Hemi, I'm sure it would scream. A little diet and matbe a few power adders and your at stock L HP#'s. Can't wait to see what happens but like I will ever have the $ anytime soon for a new Hemi or Ford 5.4 3V.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:11 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife works at DaimlerChrysler (yet drives our F-150). The Hemi will be availible shortly in the 1500 as a replacement top engine to the old 5.9 pushrod. And the 5-speed auto which is actually quite good. I've driven a few other vehicles with the 4.7L and I really like that transmission.

The 3V 5.4L is a joke if Ford releases it with those numbers. An extra 15ft-lb of torque over the current engine and more Hp because it revs higher. People on this forum are getting much more than those numbers with their current trucks and a $300 exhaust system, and the new ones will probably weigh more (more safety and convienience equipment). It adds even more complexity (read: maintainence and failures) for such little benefit. They do not quantify the fuel economy increase, which better be significant for all the technology they put on this engine. Anyone think Ford will only offer the 3.55 gears again? I'll keep my 99 5.4L with 3.73 gears. Ford is getting too green.

Aaron

Old 11-07-2002, 10:36 AM
I can see it now, the first 2004 truck that will run to 55mph in first gear. Great. 3.31's standard and 3.55's for "stump pulling power."

Old 11-07-2002, 10:48 AM
Three words

Danger, Danger Danger!

"Variable-Cam Timing (VCT) & Charge Motion Control Valves"

There is no replacement for displacement why do they keep coming up with this futuristic crap always controlled by the PCM.

I don’t know much about the hemi and I don’t like Dodge but if it’s old school hemi it’s got to be better than this POS.

Old 11-07-2002, 11:26 AM
I am kinda enthused about this redesign, maybe cause we haven't had one in a while. Not too sure about the variable cam stuff. I would think that the after market is not going to design any "hot" cams for this application. Also it seems those charge baffles would hurt the top end. I thought keeping the Air/Fuel atomized was not a big deal with fuel injection? Seems they should redesign the injectors rather swirl the mix.
But hey, looks like were going to get custom length headers.
All in all, next time I going to need a truck I will buy a Ford.
Jes

Old 11-07-2002, 12:46 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no replacement for displacement, but Ford does seem to be doing well. That statement is usually referring to low end torque. The 3V 5.4L will have about the same as the Hemi with 0.3L less. That isn't too bad so the techology is working, at least that is how Ford engineers can justify it. That charging system thing, sounds similar in theory to when Ford started using dual intake runner paths on all the Duratec engines (2.5L in Contours, 3.0L in Taurus, Escape, others). One long path would cause the air to swirl in the cylinder for a better mixture and more torque in lower engine speeds. Not enough volume for higher (engine) speeds so it would switch intake paths to feed as much air as it could get. Seemed to work well, but there are failures. I can see it already, people complaining with their cars not having the low end power around the 50k mile mark...

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I think the new 5.4L will be a great engine and probably be on Ward's 10 best engine list again, but only as a showcase or technology. Hopefully a year later Ford will do what they did in 99 when they raised the power a bit with little changes. In practice, I think it could have been improved apon in cheaper (cost wise) ways. And it will still have a lot of low end torque which I know most of us love about our trucks. But the many shoppers buy by looks and numbers (peak ones at that), not by test drives. Bill Ford can show his face all day long on the average consumer's TV, but if the numbers don't show something, they'll never even set a foot in the show room.

For the next year or two it looks like Dodge will have the numbers game won and I think it will be the best drivetrain combo for LD trucks. But there are many factors that go into people's decisions and I know Ford is good at capturing what the market wants as far as choices and conviniences and features.

Quick Reply: New Triton 3 Valve Info