This clicking sound is pi$$ing me off!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry This clicking sound is pi$$ing me off!

As I stated in another post, I was debating whether or not I should change back to a FL820S from a K&N oil filter. I did tonight and the clicking noise is still audible. I've taken my truck to a large ford dealer to have the sound diagnosed, but they said it was the trans. bell housing. I think this is B.S.. the sound is clearly comming from the engine (not the injectors). At points it sounds like a diesel, at other times it sounds like a clickity clack. The sound is loudest at the right wheel well. I run Chevron gas, I run Redline full sunthetic oil, I've used motorcraft and K&N oil filters, and I've flushed the tranny. The piston slap type noise is at a steady rate, along with the idling rpm's. When I hit the accelerator while in park the clicking accelerated, too.

Any information or other experiences appreciated. I'm trully getting tired of pulling up to a stop light, sounding like a two stroke. I think we should expect more from a $30,000 truck.

The only mods I have are:

Flowmaster cat back exhaust and K&N FIPK ( not over oiled)

Old 10-30-2002, 08:32 AM
Piston slap

Mine does it too ,I had dealer look at it , they had done all service since new . I called Ford Customer service and nothing ,. normal noise for that engine is what they tell you.
It sounds like crap .
I have had it with them and ford .,I'll be selling the truck soon .
I just hope the buyer does not notice the noise ..
This has to affect resale value!

Old 10-31-2002, 08:26 AM
Angry

MF150 I use to have a car that had the same problem, it turned out one of the spark plug wires was arcing against the exhaust
manifold. Not to sound stupid, but it won't cost anything to check it out, tonight in your driveway start your engine up, turn off all the lights and surrounding house lights, if it's arcing against metal
you will be able to see it

Good Luck
jlk

Old 10-31-2002, 08:44 AM
Wouldn't the wires arcing cause a miss? Mine makes a similar ticking sound but idles and runs perfectly smooth.

Old 10-31-2002, 04:59 PM
Tiger:

I had a cutlass supreme that had wires that were shot. I opened the hood one night to add some windshield washer solvent, and you would have thought it was the 4th of July. the car ran good, and never had a miss but boy were the wires arching all over the place.

Old 10-31-2002, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's right, my neighbor had a V-8 Vega back in the day and it ran great. He opened the hood one night and it was just like the fourth of july! It wont cost much money or work to check.

Good luck.

Old 10-31-2002, 07:39 PM
Im a Ford owner also so believe me i know about all those annoying noises. Drives me crazy. Have you tried taking your serpentine belt loose. This would eliminate the question of whetther the noise may be coming from an acessory. like air condition compressor ,exc. Be sure to let someone hold the belt so it wont get into the fan.

Old 10-31-2002, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I am taking the truck in on Vet. Day
togetchecked. All the plug wires are neatly tucked away, the serp belt is fine. What worries me more than anything else is the fact that the clicking/ticking noise is comming from the block of the engine, underneath the truck. We'll see what my Ford dealer says...I'm getting a second opinion at our family' friend's dealership.

so, I'll let you all know around the 11th of Nov.

Thanks

Old 10-31-2002, 08:08 PM
Old 11-01-2002, 06:25 AM
sounds like it might be a cracked exhaust manifold. Very difficult to diagnose, especially for an inept Ford dealer like the one I used to deal with.

Quick Reply: This clicking sound is pi$$ing me off!