Good ODBII Scanner???

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Good ODBII Scanner???

hey guys, what is good ODBII scanner. A buddy of mine told me this is a good scanner.. Anybody got this
http://www.actron.com/cgi-bin/web_st...d=6142883_2926

I need something that is easy to use....

Old 10-24-2002, 04:59 PM
I've used this one before and it works ok for basic stuff but is not very detailed. As in it doesn't pull fault codes. The one that you are looking at is the one that Autozone will loan you for free.

Old 10-25-2002, 06:32 AM
AB
Just my 2 cents…

Hi,
Just my 2 cents…
Even though the OBDII is a common standard which is supported by all manufacturers each manufacturer tried to add some *specific* things into it. So if you want to be able to work only with those general things you're OK. If you need to retract Ford specific items – get something made for Ford vehicles…
Alex.

Old 10-25-2002, 08:34 PM
Zyg
Check out the EASE PC scanner, I have been contemplaint this one myself.

http://www.obd2.com/personal/personal_scantool.htm

Old 10-25-2002, 08:45 PM
If you have a V-8 you might want to think about the Micro Tuner, not only is it a ODBII reader you can also program your internal program for performance. Go to the Superchips forum to find out more about it.

When they come out with one for the V-6 I will be buying one, got my name on the list...

Old 10-28-2002, 08:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Got the autotap software for my laptop.
Got the generic plus 3 major makes of P1 codes to boot.

Slightly expensive, but you can also take log readings from the engine, for several items.

The Ford only one is slightly less expensive, but either version requires a PC.

I also have the Actron generic scanner, and have not found a short fall with it yet ( I have the AutoTap software as a primary ).

Old 10-30-2002, 12:23 AM
Yep, got the exact one. Actually I have had three Actron scanners. The first was the older previous model which I traded in for that one. I sold it thinking I would buy a better one and then happened to find another for half price and got it.

IMO the best handheld unit out there for the money that can do manufacturer specific codes and read the sensor values would be the Auto x-ray units. You can buy just the "reader" which pulls just the DTC's or for a little more $ you can get a "scanner" which provides sensor operating values.
You can research them on www.autoxray.com but you can buy it cheaper at www.ontool.com

Ask cpadpl on the message boards here. He bought two different X-ray units after I showed them to him.

Old 10-30-2002, 05:10 AM
I wound up buying an AutoXRay unit with cables and software to do just about everything made over the last 20 years or so.

One nice thing is that it can get internet upgrades. The cheaper models can be upgraded online also.

I haven't used any others to compare it to so I really can't comment much on it.

http://www.autoxray.com/index.htm

Quick Reply: Good ODBII Scanner???