I believe I have Pistion Slap

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe I have Pistion Slap

I have a 2002 f150 Screw 4x4 lariat w/ 5.4L and 7000k miles. I noticed it on our first cold morning I started up and it sounded like a little hammer hitting metal on the inside of the engine. I have heard valves before this didn't sound like valves. When the engine got above cold then it stopped. It does it every cold morning now and lasts until the engine gets warm. about 1-2 minutes. I have read the post on pistion slap and wanted to let you guys know that 2002 has this problem also.

Old 10-21-2002, 05:25 PM
Unhappy

Yep you have it . mine makes the same noise .

Old 10-21-2002, 06:29 PM
What is 'piston slap'?? Is it different from pinging? What causes it?

Old 10-21-2002, 07:52 PM
what kind of oil filter you using? are you using 10w-30?

piston slap is very loud. these engines have a lot of different metals in them as well as over head cams which all make some noise until the engine warms up.

a 2002 engine should not have the "Slap"

good luck-

Old 10-21-2002, 08:00 PM
Hi cmikee

OK...you've read threads on engine noise.

Anyhow, i have similiar engine noise 99SC (4.6L) 32,000mi.

A/T replaced under FW at 16,500mi. No engine noise/door crack at that time. Had there been engine noise/door crack at that time i would have brought that up....svc/writer may have written it up something like "Customer complaining of engine noise" also "Crack in drivers side ext. door frame"

This would have been on record as it was a legitimate complaint by a customer with a vehicle under OEM Ford warranty Those complaints would have to be addressed.

Now....im not exactly sure when the door crack appeared. When i became aware of it...my warranty was up...regardless of fix or not, ive got nothing on record with Ford about it.

Engine noise (maybe PS) not really sure? But the noise is there, especially loud clicking in AM (first start up)...not as loud after engine warms up but its still there. Engine runs fine/no problems at present time. Again...nothing on record...even if your told its normal/its OK/no fix/we can fix...what ever...its on record.

As i recall my FW expired before that engine noise started. Engine noise same...door crack same..no worse @32000mi.

Point to all this..if you havent already done so...then do so. Take to Ford dealer...make a complaint and get it on record. Of course its just business..so do it with a (yeah i know)

JMO.....Good luck OT

Old 10-22-2002, 08:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

Mine (clanked/clacked) the other morning for the first time. From everything I've heard about piston slap, and from the wav file in the original thread, it sounds like that's what it is. My mileage is just over 86k. It only lasted for about 5 or 6 seconds at the longest though? After that it quieted down to normal. I had just made a 600+ mile trip the day before, and the temp had dropped several degrees overnight while it was parked. If it gets to be a normal thing, I guess I just have to live with it. I think it did okay for 86k, but now this? It could have been a bad filter from Wally world, because it was the first non Mobil-1 filter in about a year of changes??,,,,98

98 4.6 liter...........

Old 10-24-2002, 01:53 AM
Can someone post the link to the sound of piston slap? I want to hear it, please.

I thought i found a link, but it was dead.

Old 10-24-2002, 08:10 AM
THanks guys for the info I have 5w30 and ford filter (Ford did the oil change). I will definatly get ford to take a look at it. I have the 75000 mile warranty hope it comes in handy. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: I believe I have Pistion Slap