Serpentine Belt & Tensioner ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Serpentine Belt & Tensioner ????

Hey All-

I am getting to the point where I will do my first serpentine belt change on my 1996. The truck has 96000 miles and the belt looks terrific, but I still want to change it. From what I read in my Chilton manual and other threads, it seems like a fairly simply task.

I assume that the spring tensioner is the ideal way to loosen up the tension in the belt in order to remove it. Correct?

I am correct in that I can use regular socket to loosen it's nut ?

Should I change the tensioner as preventive medicine or do these generally last a good while?

If yes, is it a simple task? Tips?

Thanks !

Old 10-16-2002, 02:42 PM
Zyg
Not sure on the 96, but my 2002 all you need to do is stick a half inch breaker bar in the hole on end of tensioner and push to release tension and then belt falls off. Then from there unbolt tensioner and replace it when you replace the belt.

Old 10-17-2002, 12:00 AM
Changing of the belt

Go to any auto store that loans tools out and ask for that tool.
Next get the belt from them and there should be a pic under the
hood just in back of the rad,Next use the tool to fit over the nut
then pull fwd and the tension should be lose to replace the belt.
Do not remove any nuts.The tensinor will last a long time.Mine has 10 years and still runs perfect.Est time 60 sec

Old 10-17-2002, 09:04 AM
Thanks. Just so I understand:

* My socket set (1/2", 3/4", or whatever size attachment that applies) will not work in loosening the tensioner in order to remover the belt?

* Or, is the large breaker bar recommended (i.e. loaner from auto parts store) becaue it makes it easier (esier to muscle the tensioner nut)?

Old 10-17-2002, 04:32 PM
there is no muscling of the tensioner nut.

you put the end of a half inch (No socket attached) socket wrench or breaker bar (breaker bar has better reach thats all) into the half inch hole in the tensioner and you just pull a little to the side (i think there is an arrow) and it will loosen the belt just enough to get it off.

while the belt is off spin each of the pulleys to check for smooth operation if any of them feel rough or gritty that usually means bad bearings replace whatever it is attached to.

if you have to pull relatively hard to get the tensioner to move it is still good, if it is slow to move back into place once you take the belt off replace it.

hope this helps

Old 10-17-2002, 04:57 PM
My '89 takes a socket to do it. I've seen some on rangers that take a 1/2" ratchet/breakover bar. Either way it requires no special tools. You'll want the leverage of appoximately a 1/2" ratchet.

You dont loosen anything, simply twist on the socket or ratchet fitting and it will pull up on the tensioner, allowing you to remove the belt. If you dont have it right it will either not fit or spin your water pump backwards, so take note or read the picture under you hood carefully. Line it all up except for one accessory (usually the AC). Its easier to get your wife or girlfriend to help slip it on the last pully (just dont tell your wife that your girlfriend is helping).

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2002, 05:34 PM
Thanks a lot!

That seems so easy -- I hate to ask what a garage charges for this!

I am planning on getting a Motorcraft belt, as I read that aftermarket ones may not fit just right.

Old 10-18-2002, 12:01 AM
hcmq nailed it. I have a 1995 and its just as he described. Should be the same on the 1996 model.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt & Tensioner ????