New DOHC 4.6L

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New DOHC 4.6L

I was reading an article today about the new for 2003 Lincoln Aviator SUV that is coming out near the end of this summer. It will have a new DOHC 4.6L V-8 in it and it will put out 302HP. No numbers on the torque that I have found yet but with that much HP increase the torque must be around 305-310 now I guess. Its about time I am tired of my buddies with there 4.7L Tundras telling me how they have more power and towing. Also the new DOHC should have a lot more pep to the step for the highway. Have any of you guys heard anything else or do you have any comments.

Old 07-14-2002, 11:17 AM
the toy drivers might have "more" power than you, but as far as "using" that power for something productive, ford kicks their ***. Every tundra ive ever seen towing something(nothing really heavy usually) sound like its about to throw a rod. And they really struggle on the highway(I've passed many doing about 45). So, smile and be proud to drive that beast of a truck they call a ford!

Old 07-15-2002, 02:52 AM
Cool

Got some more info. The new DOHC cam will have four valves per cylender and put out 302HP and 300lbft of torque. The current SOHC 4.6L puts out 231HP and 293lbft of torque. So that is a large difference in HP which will help on up hill towing. By the way you are right you never really see Tundras towing anything. Its just nice to be able to say you have more power. And one thing is for sure we can be proud of what we drive one they are american made and they are fords.

Old 07-15-2002, 06:13 PM
burg- BTW i notice you have a gibson swept side. Do you like it? did you feel like you lost any low end power. Some aftermarket systems supposedly make you lose low end. How bout yours? Thanks!

Old 07-15-2002, 06:25 PM
My Tundra experience

Last year I had my Ranger 4x4 on a mild trail up by Breckenridge Co. I ran into an older couple going down the mountain the other way in a brand new Tundra. I was about to faint seeing a Tundra actually going off road! To it's credit, it was doing well, but it was going down hill, so who knows...

I kind of miss my Ranger sometimes for a trail truck. Guess I better increase the Ford fleet to three again...

BTW...I'd also like to know about that swept-side. I've been trying to decide between it and the split rear. I test drove a "Nascar" edition 4.6 last year, and it REALLY moved with the short box and five speed. Was that exhaust the same as the super truck? Just curious...

Hey Justy...how are things over in Blue Springs?

Old 07-17-2002, 12:05 AM
hah-- bs is ok. Im holdin it down! do you ever meet up with Kc area ppl? I'd like to meet dome other people. When i had my ranger i met up with a few guys from rangerpowersports.com and it was pretty cool. Pics, bs' in, showin off, etc. Except my new trucks kind of embarrasing because i havent had the $$ to do any coll stuf yet. the only thing ive done is built a custom box and put in my pioneer. NO components, bedliners anything yet dammit.

Old 07-18-2002, 01:05 AM
Talking

Hey justy, I have had my Gibson swept side for about 9 months and I love it. It took about two weeks for it to really break in and get a good exhaust note. It has a real mild note to it but you can by all means tell that it is not stock. In the cab its kinda quiet but still it has enough sound to let you known you have a V-8 under the hood. I did not realize how good it did sound until my wife used my truck and I heard her accelerate down the street while I stood in the driveway. Also I did not loose any low end from the seat of the pants feel I gained some. Overall I am very happy with it. Though at times I wish it was a little louder but then I drive way to much for a loud exhaust it would get old.

Old 07-18-2002, 01:17 AM
thats great! Thanks, now i'll def. have to get one! but i still thin kthe super truck is my fave!

Quick Reply: New DOHC 4.6L