4.6L Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 4.6L Oil Leak

I had been reading about the 5.4L oil leaks so I checked the passenger side of my 4.6L because I smelled "hot oil" and it is pretty wet! It is indeed dripping, and onto the exhaust pipe.

My questions are these:

-How difficult is it to pull this head?(Passenger Side)
-Will a new gasket fix the problem?
-Is there a "new" or "improved" gasket I should get to replace it? (Ford released or otherwise) I hate to take the time and effort to fix it only to have it return.
-If this leak is due to a high pressure oil passage, should a little sealant be placed around that area during re-assembly?
-If I let it go will it get worse?

Any insight, especially those who have replaced a head gasket on this engine, (or a 5.4L), would be greatly appreciated. I have never taken heads off a OHC engine like this one and am curious just "how much fun" it really is! Any tips and/or tricks??

Old 03-14-2001, 01:23 PM
Engine was build 12/11/98 in Romeo. The truck is a 99' Ext Cab XLT. I did talk to my dealer today and the Service Manager said to come by. They have replaced several head gaskets and/or engines as required. He lead me to believe Ford would help me out in some way...whether a partial payment repair or total cost...but it would be up to the Area Zone Rep. (Maybe I need to buy him a beer or two !?!?)

I don't mind the complexity of the teardown...but not sure I would have to if Ford is willing to pick it up.

Old 03-15-2001, 12:20 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
George,

I hate to burst your bubble but the head removal is a major pain in the butt. My 2000 has been at the Dealer since Monday for the exact same thing. It takes about 16 hrs to R&R the head. Ask your dealer to look up in the Chilton the alloted time for it. And they have access to all the tools. Is your truck a Canadian Built?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 03-15-2001, 12:35 AM
I had my head gasket changed about 2000 miles ago...so far so good.

This is definately not a job that i would want to tackle. Look in a chilton to see what all has to be removed in order to replace the gasket....almost everything!!

Best of luck,
Keep us up to date....

Old 03-31-2001, 12:01 AM
Red face

I have decided the folks at the dealership won't get the opportunity to damage my spoiled rotten 4.6L, (I've been way too good to that engine to let someone else mess it up), and I am going to do the head gasket replacement myself.

I picked up a Chiltons manual and the teardown is extensive. I ordered all my gaskets from www.fordpartsnetwork.com, (great service, price, and delivery on GENUINE Ford parts), and they arrived today. The head gasket is apparently a newly released one to help address the oil leak problem when used as a replacement. Ford part # XR3Z 6051-BA.

I'm planning on starting soon...wish me luck my fellow Ford fans!!

Old 03-31-2001, 09:29 AM
Lightbulb

George, Make sure to check the head for defects. When I had the leak on my 5.4, Ford had said that it was a machining defect in the head that caused the oil leak in the first place. They replaced the gasket with a supposed better version and also replaced the head on the passenger side. Good luck.

------------------
Jakegypsum // Ford fleet, soup to nuts.

Old 03-31-2001, 10:26 AM
Lightbulb

George the heads are relatively inexpensive not really much more than a good valve job. Good luck and let us know how it goes

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SC, 5.4, 4X4, 355 LS, ORP, Black/Silver, class III, single CD, sliding glass, med. gray, keyless, elect. shift, engine date 8-18-99, Superchip. 1.02" Wrong Radiator '93 Harley Fatboy Black & tons of chrome

Old 03-31-2001, 01:35 PM
I've read the 5.4 PI heads will really improve the 4.6 & fit right on. If you got the $ might be a thought to change.

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-Airraid-Perma-cool electric fan & controller

Old 03-31-2001, 03:29 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
George,

Could you please trace the intake manifold gaskets and mail the tracings to me? E-mail me at jmc.chartier@sympatico.ca and I will send you my address and why I want the tracings. TIA.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks, MAC 8.8 Axle Girdle
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Hedman Headers,
Custom air intake system with modified
air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 03-31-2001, 09:25 PM
Question

Some had mentioned in their messages a head defect was the root cause of the leakage. Does anyone know what the defect is and how I can check for it? It would be nice to be able to do so to make sure I get the issue resolved while it is opened up.

Old 04-04-2001, 12:39 AM
Took my '98 4.6L in for leak at remote filter connection. Recieved call from dealership, both headgaskets leaking. They replaced the hose but did'nt have the gaskets on hand to do the heads. Oh well gotta love these pickups.

Quick Reply: 4.6L Oil Leak