Rebuilding your F150 4.6L .......

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Rebuilding your F150 4.6L .......

Have you ever thought about rebuilding your 4.6L? Don't get nervous, it wasn't as hard as I first thought it would be.

The only major problem that I had was taking the engine out and then putting it back into the truck. Breaking it down wasn't a problem. Your wiring is all together, put it in a place all for itself. As you take it apart, take pictures. I didn't, but now I wish that I had. Finding out where all the hoses went took more time than it should have.

The engine parts, for the most part are already marked, as to where they go and in what direction. Most of the gaskets are reusable if you are careful not to harm them.

A bit of caution: Your head bolts can not be used again. They are one time use only.

I figured that the overhead cams would pose a real problem, especially when timing the engine, but they weren't. There are two timing chains, one for each cam. As long as you align the keys on the cams at 90 degrees to the head, and No 1 cylinder at TDC, then the timing will be dead on.

A few years ago, I had a devil of a time rebuilding a V6 in my Bronco II, but this engine was fun, in a way.

Old 01-07-2001, 06:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why did it need a rebuild? how many miles were on it?

Old 01-07-2001, 06:55 PM
I had less than 55K miles on it with an extended warranty. Spun a couple of bearing and locked up the crankshaft. Ford refused to repair the damage. They voided my warranty.

------------------
1997 F150 XLT 4X4 4.6L, Solid Black, DeeZee sideboards, bedliner, w/tow package, off road package, and light package, and has all the buttons.

Old 01-07-2001, 10:08 PM
This is the first time Ive heard of a bottom end failure. What happened????? Is this a Romeo or windsor
Regards
Dave

------------------
97 F150 4x4 Ext Cab Long Box 4.6L Auto XLT Oxford White/Gold

Old 01-07-2001, 11:36 PM
Dave;

It is the Romero. Ford said that the oil pump failed and that it was my fault. I don't see how tho. It is not over yet, my lawyer says that I have a good case and he can't wait to get it in front of a jury.

The 4.6L has pockets on the heads that retain oil. The oil can not drain back into the pan. These pockets are on the upper side of the cams. If you take off a valve cover and see where this oil has been just sitting there, over a period of time and the heat from the engine, this oil is going to seem as if it is gummy and it will be right there in those pockets. Don't be alarmed, that is just the way this engine is designed.

------------------
1997 F150 XLT 4X4 4.6L, Solid Black, DeeZee sideboards, bedliner, w/tow package, off road package, and light package, and has all the buttons.

Old 01-07-2001, 11:58 PM
Razzle
See my post on the oil press guage in electrical. If your oil pump was on the way out you could expect a loss in press over a period of time. Maybe the fact that the oil guage is a dummy light might be an argument for your counsel
Dave

------------------
97 F150 4x4 Ext Cab Long Box 4.6L Auto XLT Oxford White/Gold

Old 01-08-2001, 03:40 AM
I have heard of bottom end failure in 4.6L's. My friend has a 98 mustang and he's gone through 2 motors already. Everytime he spun a bearing and it locked up. I'm not a big fan of the new stuff too much. Hard to work on and they have no performance parts. Some cams for a 5.4L would be nice, or new intakes. Got an intake off a police interceptor Crown Vic, wonder if its btter than the aluminum one on my 5.4L right now. Probably not since its plastic. I'll sell it though to anyone who wants its, its brand friggin new.

Old 01-08-2001, 06:40 PM
Question

Dave D - this has nothing to do with this topic but I have a question for you. What is the wheelbase on your truck?
When i checked my owner's manual the gas tank size depended on wheelbase. I have a regular cab/long bed & assumed Ihave the 139"/30 gallon model. Now I hera htat there are 157" wheelbase trucks - is thst your model? I'm a first time truck owner so please forgive the "silly" questions! Thanks!

------------------
If you can't beat 'em, you're NOT driving a FORD!
Shovies PROVE that FORD'S are #1!!
'97 Black F150 XLT ORP 4X4
4.6L/auto/3.55 LS/power EVERYTHING,
nerf bars, 17" wheels, fog lights, trailer hitch w/electrical connector, front tow hooks, bed rail caps,
6 CD changer, lumbar support & 3 cow license plates - so far!

Old 01-09-2001, 01:10 AM
Crash;

They (Ford) said that I did not maintain service on my truck. I changed the oil every 3000 - 3500 miles and I have proof of that but they (Ford) says the oil pump failed because of poor maintenance.

------------------

Old 01-09-2001, 11:15 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
RustyF1504x4,

The intake from a CV is most likely a 4.6 intake. It won't fit your 5.4, but you probably know that. What year is the intake?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 01-18-2001, 12:33 AM
LHM
It is good that somebody finally has had one of these mystery modular engines torn down and actually rebuilt it. There is very little information other than a service manual on these new engines. I was glad to hear that the timing was rather easy and not unlike an ordinary engine. I hope it I don't have to rebuild mine for many years to come however.

LHM

------------------
2000 F-150 Super Cab XLT 4x4 ORP 5.4liter V8, Towing Package, Rear Slider, Remote keyless Entry,3.55 LS, Black Exterior, Medium Graphite interior, manual shift 4x4. Current mods Gooseneck hitch,Ford Custom Molded Splash Guards, Muth Signal Mirrors, SUPERCHIPS Performance Chip, Line-X Bedliner, STROBES!!and Y pipe with duals.

Old 01-18-2001, 02:43 AM
Cool

Good luck razzle.
Sounds like you a totally getting it up the @$$... i hope for the little people you win your case!

------------------
97 F150 4.6 v8 longbed
_ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _ _
K&N Air filter
K&N FIPK TECH MOD & REMOVED ELBOW SILENCER
_ _ _ _ ______ _ _ _ _
Hyper White xenon bulbs
_ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _ _
Bedliner and Raven Shell
_ _ _ _ ________ _ _ _ _
6 disc cd changer

OIL & FILTER USED Mobil 1
_ _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _
Gas used TEXACO & CHEVRON

Old 04-03-2014, 06:40 AM
ford truck

hope this is razzle-dazzle-30 : I have 2001 f150 4.6L Romeo W engine that is giving me a fit, there is a misfire in # 2 cylinder I have done everything to fix the problem. Let me know if you used Shop Manuals to rebuild your engine and if so would you want to sell or rent said manuals.
michaelbruckner@wildblue.net

Last edited by mjb41847; 04-03-2014 at 06:43 AM. Reason: and a word
Old 04-03-2014, 09:30 AM
13 year old thread buddy....
You can find complete service manuals online.
I'll send one to your email.

Before hand though. It would help if you start your own thread regarding the issues you have. May get the help you need before you tear the thing out and rebuild it.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:15 PM
here is another issue

Under the intake manifold is a plastic hosing with something they call engine intake insulator, will the that was on my truck is know more broke up in little pieces. Ford wants 69.77 for a new one . any way thusday I'll take the head off and see what I can see.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding your F150 4.6L .......