Does my warranty cover it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2000, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does my warranty cover it?

I was having a conversation with someone the other day about the mods I planned for my truck. They posed an interesting question. "Will the mods void the warranty?" i.e Airraid, K&N filter, superchip..etc...He suggested that changing the specs of the engine may void my warranty or they may want to pick and choose what they'll cover, Any thoughts? Thanks

------------------
2000 f150 supercab lariat wedg. blue 5.4L 4x4 pkg stepside towing

Old 04-18-2000, 11:54 PM
Lightbulb

This topic has been covered quite extensively, do a search. Or check in the computer chips area - I know Mike Troyer (of SuperChips) has covered this a couple times.

------------------
1999 F-150 SuperCab Flairside XLT 4x4, Black (w/dark graphite int), Sport Package, 5.4, auto, 3.55LS, skid plates, captains chairs, CD changer, keyless entry, tow package, bed liner, & tonneau cover.

AFTERMARKET MODS - Airaid FIPK, Gibson Side Swept Single, Smittybilt Modular Black Textured Nerfs, Deflecta Shield Magnum Deflector, Ventvisors, Code Alarm SureGuard40 Security, Pioneer TS-A6815 Speakers (x4), & Superchip'd.

COMING SOON – Fittipalde Tubolare 16x8 Wheels w/BFG A/T T/A K/O 285/75/16’s

FOR SALE Factory Aluminum 17x7.5 Wheels w/Goodyear RTS 265/70/17’s (4000miles)

See It Here

Old 04-19-2000, 01:09 AM
Here's some info from the US FTC on the<A HREF="http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/15/ch50.html" TARGET=_blank>Magnuson-Moss
Warranty Act</A>. This should answer you question.

------------------
Y2K F150 XLT SC SB 4.6 V8 standard, 3.55 LS,RED!,
K&N FIPK, Superchips, Gibson Swept Side Exhaust,

Fumoto Oil Drain Plug, Added extra leaf to rear spring,
Jeraco Deluxe High-Rise Cap, Duraliner, Clear corner lenses, Super White head lights, Ventvisor, 2 Century NextStep Child Car Seats,

F150Online sticker on rear window

Previous Ford Trucks '84 F150, '87 Ranger
NEW JERSEY the GARDEN STATE

[This message has been edited by mtknee (edited 04-19-2000).]

Old 04-19-2000, 08:29 AM
Yes it will void you warranty. Ford has issued a TSB on people installing K&N air filters. The oil and cleaning spray used in the filters is ruining the mass air flow sensors. Because of this Ford will not cover the MAF if you have installed anything with a K&N on it. Ford was getting a lot of MAF's
claims and decided to research on what was happening and found out it was the chemicals K$N used on there air filters.

As for the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Its not worth the paper it's written on, Unless
you want to spend the court dollars.

You will not find one on my truck...

------------------
97 XLT 4.6L SC 4X4 ORP Gibson Catback
JBA Headers.. Hot Coated
Ford Motorsport 9MM wires
Superchip. Not is use
EX supercharged. For Sale
JLL Stealthbox
Rockford Fosgate punch 45 to drive stealthbox

Old 04-19-2000, 10:36 AM
Red face

Whoa! Where is this TSB?

------------------
99 XLT 5.4L Ext Cab 4x4 ORP Waldoch - 3.55LS, grey/blue leather, wood dash and door inserts, Lund Deflector, Trenz Billet Antennae...and too many things on my want list!
1977 1/2 F250 4x4 "Low Boy" 400-4spd

Old 04-19-2000, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I certainly have not read any TSB's to this effect..could you please post a link on this?

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

Old 04-19-2000, 01:22 PM
Actually this is a technical service dvisory
message from the Ford service employees web.

I will get the advisory number and try to cut and paste the whole service message.

Old 04-19-2000, 02:23 PM
Exclamation

Gorp, I've been on the board for over a year and have only seen one posting about a problem with MAFS from over oiling the K&N. About half the people who post here have a K&N or a FIPK with a K&N and if this has been a major problem, no one has ever mentioned it. Also, I have been reading about the SVO vehicles coming with K&N filters as standard equipment this year(blue oil instead of red). Do you work for a dealer? If so, how can they void a warranty when they are using the K&N on their SVO vehicles?

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

Old 04-19-2000, 02:43 PM
I just spoke with my dealer (Millenium Ford in Seattle, Washington) and the service department guy says an oil impregnated air filter would not void the warranty, but if the check engine light should come on because of the filter then I would have to eat the $75 reset fee. I presume it is because owners are using too much oil to refresh their filters and are causing the mass air flow sensors to foul.

Old 04-19-2000, 04:29 PM
2 days ago I had my MAF Sensor replaced under warranty with no questions and I have a K&N on the truck. Filter was not the cause of the failure. Some people must not be able to properly clean and oil their filters. I have had K&N filters on my last 7 vehicles over 12 years and have never had any problem. If you follow the instructions with the cleaning kits, you will have no problem. The fault is not with K&N but with those people who cannot follow directions and service the product properly.

------------------
2000 F150 SuperCab, Short Bed, 4X4, ORP, 5.4L, Auto Trans, 3.55LS, Captains Chairs with power drivers seat, rear slider, class III towing package, remote entry with alarm and just about everything you can get on this truck. Added a Ford bug deflecter, floor mats, a K&N filter, a Dynamax Race magnum muffler, Superchip, K&N FIPK and Bilstein shocks.

Old 04-19-2000, 05:07 PM
There is also a technical service advisory out on installing computer chips on the processor service port. It states that a claim will be denied if the computer fails with a chip installed on the service port.

Old 04-19-2000, 08:18 PM
Thumbs down

GORP so far you are just blowing hot air, post the proof of your claims. My brother is a mechanic at a Ford dealer and knows of no such TSB's or TSA's on either of these subjects.

Show me.

------------------
1999 F-150 SuperCab Flairside XLT 4x4, Black (w/dark graphite int), Sport Package, 5.4, auto, 3.55LS, skid plates, captains chairs, CD changer, keyless entry, tow package, bed liner, & tonneau cover.

AFTERMARKET MODS - Airaid FIPK, Gibson Side Swept Single, Smittybilt Modular Black Textured Nerfs, Deflecta Shield Magnum Deflector, Ventvisors, Code Alarm SureGuard40 Security, Pioneer TS-A6815 Speakers (x4), & Superchip'd.

COMING SOON – Fittipalde Tubolare 16x8 Wheels w/BFG A/T T/A K/O 285/75/16’s

FOR SALE - Factory Aluminum 17x7.5 Wheels w/Goodyear RTS 265/70/17’s (4000miles)

See It Here

Old 04-19-2000, 08:37 PM
I will get the copies here in the next day or two and try to post them... I Have serveral poeple close to me that work/own Ford dealerships. Thats all I will say. And what I posted is no HOT AIR....

Old 04-19-2000, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also looking forward to reading your information.....

Hopefully you don't post that "the use of Synthetic oil will void the engine warranty."

Old 04-19-2000, 09:15 PM
Lightbulb

Hey guys there is a TSB listed at the alldata site listed below about maf contamination and service tips if anyone knows where to view the full TSb let us know.
http://www.alldata.com/consumer/TSB/20/992016DE.html

------------------
Y2K XLT F150 5.4, 3.55 LS, 4x2, tow package, Chestnut color, Lebra low profile soft top, Runs better everyday.

Quick Reply: Does my warranty cover it?