how long will a 5.4L last?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how long will a 5.4L last?

Hello All,
I just got a 2000 F150, with a 5.4L V8 with 68,000 miles on it, to replace my current car, a 1963 Ford Falcon, which isn't much of an everyday driving car. Yes I know the mileage is high, but my dad got a good deal. Anyways, how many miles do these trucks get before the engines turn to crap? I would like to do a few mods to it, but wasn't sure if it would be worth it, because of the high mileage. I estimate I drive around 8-10 thousand miles a year, and I'll most likely be driving it till the wheels fall off. But I don't wanna put a lot of money into this truck and then only have it for a couple of years. Anyways, any help is greatly appreciated. Also, forgive me if these questions sound juvenile and naive, I don't know a whole lot yet, but I'm learning. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2001, 09:05 AM
Expect 200,000mi, but be aware that if you do have to have a repaire, you will be making an investment. Nothing is cheap to repair or replace on these babys. Or any other for that matter.

Congrats and enjoy!

Old 11-06-2001, 01:10 PM
68,000 is not high mileage for one of these vehicles. For a 2000, its kind of quick, but my truck had 83,000 on it in a little over two years. It gets far fewer miles put on it these days (Drive a different vehicle for work). You should easily see 150,000 out of it without any huge repairs, 200,000 with some decent maintinence work. Go ahead, spend the money on the mods if you think the engine is in good shape today!

Old 11-06-2001, 02:49 PM
The least of your worries

I go out on a limb and say the 5.4 engine is going to be the least of your problems if you do regular maintenance... Buy a Chilton's or Hayne's manual and do all the mx. Also, log into to Ford's owner connection or whatever they call it to check the recommended maintenance, as they add things that were'nt known when your manual was printed.

For example, on a 1997 F-150, thay added "Check idler and pitman arm for proper lubrication" at 45,000 since that's about when the permanently lubbed fitting need to be re-lubbed.

I've got 50 thousand miles on my 97 5.4 and never had any hint of a problem (knocking on wood!) I have however had minor electrical problems such as the power door locks winding and the power mirror switch broke. The door locks aren't fixed since it only happens once a week, and the mirror switch only cost $17 from Ford.

Enjoy your truck and welcome to the site! As a new member here, let me caution you to do searches for information before you post questions. Most likely, they've been answered already...and the "Senior Members" are starting to get pissy about it.

take care,

Rob

Old 11-06-2001, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome aboard!

The simple fact that these engines have a 100,000 mile tune up date is evidence enough that these are long-lasting engines. I've had my truck for about a year and a half now, and I have never had any problem with the engine.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions... not all senior members get pissy.

-Flea

Old 11-06-2001, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess I was worried about the miles because my dad had initially been looking for an F150 with under 50,000 miles, then he found my truck, which belonged to a friend of his. Also, I had been told that these trucks really get worn out at 100,000 miles, so I was just trying to verify that. Anyways, thanks again, I greatly appreciate it!

Old 11-06-2001, 11:28 PM
Can anyone come up with anything from this board to support the notion that these things "...really get worn out at 100,000 miles...?

The jury's still out on 300,000 mile 5.4's, but given enough time for some to age to that level, I'll bet there will be some.

I'm counting on mine making 200K -- and based on the postings on this board, that expectation looks likely.

(30 K on Nick so far -- with no engine trouble)

Old 11-07-2001, 01:52 AM
to Y2K 7700 4x4,
When you said in response to my post: "Can anyone come up with anything from this board to support the notion that these things "...really get worn out at 100,000 miles...?" Were you trying to make a statement similar to: "dude, havent you been reading these posts?" I may have completely misinterpreted what you were trying to say there, but to me it sounds like there is an irritated tone in that question. In my defense, when I said "Also, I had been told that these trucks really get worn out at 100,000 miles, so I was just trying to verify that." I was adding that to a list of my concerns for the mileage. I didn't infer that from anything anybody said on the posts. And if you were referring to any other posts that happen to be off of this thread, I haven't read any of them, I just signed on yesterday. I admit, the statement was poorly written, as it didn't fit well with what was previously said. The person who told me that was a Chevy owner who was probably just exaggerating because he preferred Chevy over Ford, but that got me worried, that was my reasoning for making my original post. If I missed the point of what you were trying to say, I am very sorry, please disregard this as mere ranting. Also, if I did understand what you were saying, please don't take this as a retaliation of any sort, I am merely trying to clear up what I said.. Thank you.

Old 11-07-2001, 08:27 AM
I have 150,000 on my 4.0L Aerostar. It's not wore out and has had no major repairs. Actually no engine specific repairs.

I expect the newer high tech 5.4 in my truck to do even better.

Old 11-07-2001, 12:21 PM
i have a 2000 with 45,000 on it and it runs just as good as it did the day i picked it up.

Old 11-07-2001, 01:06 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Unless you know the maintenance history of a vehicle/engine, you really have no idea how well it was maintained from day one. For the most part, as long as the oil/filter was changed and the thing was not abused, you'll do fine.

100k on engines these days are not the same as 25 years ago. Engines have gotten better, oil is better, more "Lube" shops, so even soccer moms get their oil changed regularly.

I had an '86 5.0 GT, and it had 136k on it when I traded it in. Never had the heads off and never had any problems with it. And those were hard miles I put on it. Regular maintenance was all I did to it.

My rig has 75k on it and is still "tight". I figure at 100k, it'll be just broken in!

An engine will expire for any number of reasons. Some do it early, some do it later. Just like life, you don't know when that "number" may come up?

Old 11-17-2001, 02:01 PM
These engine will last a long time with basic up keep. For example the local Ford dealer got trade in last month with 220,000km (135,000miles) on it. The engine was totally wrecked. Reason for it is the truck never had the oil, oil filter or the air filter changed. The shop had to cut the oil filter off, and the air intake was full all the way to the fender. I have a neighbor who is a rancher and his 5.4 has 325,000km(202,000miles). This thing takes a beating ever time it is started. These engines did have alot of test miles on them before they were put into the trucks. The 4.6 was put into the Crown Vic, Thunderbirds, and Cougars since 1992-1994. The engines in the Crown Vics most likely take the worst beating since they were used in taxi cabs and in patrol cars. The 5.4 and 4.6 in the trucks in just a heavy duty version of cars engines.

Old 11-18-2001, 04:58 PM
I have a 98 XLT with a 5.4 with 170,000 miles on it moble one 5/30 and moble one filter and change every 10,000 miles and if you figure in the over size tires it's got 200,000 miles on it oh it has piston slap since12,000 miles. I think it runs stronger now

Quick Reply: how long will a 5.4L last?