F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   Just dusted my buddies '98 Z71 350!!! (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/5506-just-dusted-my-buddies-98-z71-350-a.html)

Pastmaster 02-24-2000 04:15 PM

No fast! It was started in 1967 in the truck. The 351 and the 400 were started in the trucks in 1977. That is probably true. IT will become a better engine over time. If the OHC design is so great, it should produce more like 260hp in the 4.6L and 300 in the 5.4L. That would make it more impressive. Like I said before, any stock setup SUCKS. Maybe our members trucks run differently than the ones I've driven. Because they didn't seem to impressive and fast too me. Except the 5.4L, I liked it. It too needs more hp.

[This message has been edited by Pastmaster (edited 02-24-2000).]

Dustoff 02-24-2000 04:34 PM

I agree...no one should start a war here.

Like I said...if *I* post something...you can bet your *life* on it. My truck goes 0-60 in 7.9 seconds everytime on 87 Octane..best was 7.8x. In my case with the Z71..maybe the guy hit his fuel limiter, maybe he pulled off the throttle at the very end when he realized I was right on him, maybe his was a 4x4( I don't know that much about SHUVY trucks)....who knows..but I can assure you..I caught his butt and was waiting for him at the next light. He was pulling away from me at first, very hard..and I thought no way I'll get him since he had such a large jump...but I did.

Pastmaster...you recently posted that you WERE NOT an expert on the newer F-series trucks.. (*Who's made the most posts? (Page 2)

Pastmaster
posted 02-21-2000 10:57 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I am catching up with you guys, although my knowledge on current gen F-series is somewhat limited, if you guys have a question about pre-97's, I will answer, even if I don't know what the correct answer is.

*...now you posted the opposite above (engines)...which is it? Again...no flame..but ARE you an expert or not? Before you go around pointing fingers..maybe you should consider that some of us DO know a great deal about these newer F-150 trucks (this is my second one..I had a 98 5.4L F-150). I have been reading your posts and really do think you know a good deal about mechanics and I respect this. YOU have even taught me some 'stuff'.

dirt bike dave--I have no problem questioning anything...heck..I use to work for the government (ARMY) for 7 years and have been in many interesting places/conflicts..*I KNOW MUCH OF WHAT IS IN THE NEWS IS BS* I agree with you and I also agree not every engine or truck is identical. I question someone who points fingers at 5 or more people and says no way in heck any of you are telling the truth. That's all.

I found this info possibly interesting for you AND Pastmaster.....(about Ford's quality control)

Supposedly the Tundra/extended cab, 4.7L with 3.92 rear was right at 7.9 seconds in the Truck Trend October 99 issue, page 29....(the 5.4L extended cab F-150 was at 8.0 seconds...right where I am at).......in another review (Truckin Feb 2000 issue, page 48)..the same style Tundra (extended cab, 4.7L, 3.92 rear) went from 0-60 in 9.27 seconds...the 5.4L extended cab F-150 was at 8.1 seconds (same page). HOW can there be such a difference in times?

I guess Toyota is as screwed up as FORD huh?

I'd like to add that I filled up with Premium fuel, 92 Octane, on my second tank with my 2000. I tried another 0-60 test at about 1/2 or so..it was 9.8 seconds...pathetic. So I switched back to 87 Octane and have been right on 7.9 seconds everytime.

Let's end this...just understand...I am not full of **IT as you guys are claiming..I do happen to know a great deal about these trucks and what a 5.4L can do (and endevor to learn even more), I work with a bunch of 'gear heads' who drive them, build their own muscle cars, racing lawnmowers and also know a great deal about the 97+ F-150 (and much more). I seriously doubt FAST46 is full of **IT either. I doubt Nickster is either. What everyone has posted *IS* certainly possible.

I am not on this message board to boast or even look good..I am hear to keep up to date on problems, recalls and help others with their questions. That is what makes this site the best on the web!!!!!! Let's keep it that way!!!!!!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

[This message has been edited by Dustoff (edited 02-24-2000).]

Pastmaster 02-24-2000 04:57 PM

Dustoff, I'll do my best to answer your questions...

*...now you posted the opposite above (engines)...which is it? Again...no flame..but ARE you an expert or not? Before you go around pointing fingers..maybe you should consider that some of us DO know a great deal about these newer F-150 trucks (this is my second one..I had a 98 5.4L F-150). I have been reading your posts and really do think you know a good deal about mechanics and I respect this. YOU have even taught me some 'stuff'.
First off, I don't bet my life on anything that is on the internet! That is the whole point of me being on this site in the first place, is to learn and share my experiece with others. Like I said, I don't know as much about the newer generation of F-series as I do about the old generation. I know the old generation, just not as much as I would like to know about the newer ones. But I know enough. I can answer alot of questions about them. I know enough about them now. You guys, one here, make everyone (including me) think that it is the fastest, and best truck on the road. I have driven them, and I and maybe I was expecting more. I have driven trucks that are faster. I have never been to a race, or seen one on tv, that a car can beat equally equipped vehicle by 3-4 car lengths, with out something contradicting it. Like the other driver letting up to quick, or something wrong with the engine or whatever. Thats why I won't race a 6 cylinder 1/2ton again, because its not racing apples to apples.

Let's end this...just understand...I am not full of **IT as you guys are claiming..I do happen to know a great deal about these trucks and what a 5.4L can do (and endevor to learn even more), I work with a bunch of 'gear heads' who drive them, build their own muscle cars, racing lawnmowers and also know a great deal about the 97+ F-150 (and much more). I seriously doubt FAST46 is full of **IT either. I doubt Nickster is either. What everyone has posted *IS* certainly possible.
If you beat a z71 or a chevy, you did. IF fast46 beat a 302 he did. IF Nickster beat a z71 he did. I wasn't there to confirm your "races". So I'll take your word for it. BUT, I am "certain" that my dad's 350 vortec will beat a equilly equipped 4.6L. Just like I'm certain that a stock 4.6L won't beat a 302MA, by much if at all. I've never raced a z71 against a 4x4 Ford, but I have driven several. How many of you guys have actually driven a Vortec 350 or a Silverado 5.3L? I doubt many. You guys convinced me to drive a 5.4L again, and race my 93 against a 4.6L Ford. I started looking for one Tuesday night.

Dustoff 02-24-2000 05:53 PM

Well said Pastmaster!

If you drive a 2000 F-150..the computer has to 'learn' your driving habits for optimum performance for the best tranny performance. It is in the owners manual (pg ?? manual out in the truck) and it was news to me (new for the 2000 model). So you might not see just what a 5.4L can do right away. I do drive mine hard..but I *never* beat on it.

I believe the 5.3L chevy has more power at higher RPMs...it is designed for this...the FORD 5.4L..is designed for lower (towing) power. The 5.4L could use a bit more power at higher speeds. I can say that I am one of the ones that has not driven one of the newer Silverados. No one is perfect...not even FORD...as evident by the problems listed on this site.

I have not owned a 4.6L F-150, but they are tough!

When I posted that the new model F-150 is 'the fastest truck on the road'..that is from many professional reviews I have read (and I mean stock F-150s). Most of the reviews are saying that FORD puts the most torque on the ground than any of the others.

I can honestly say it is like night and day between my 98 5.4L and 2000 5.4L F-150 (both with 3.55 rears)...and my 2000 only has 25 more HP. (I used the K&N in both). It is possible I was very lucky and did get a slightly faster (a few tenths) truck from the factory than other 2000 owners. My 2000 is 1.9-2.0 seconds faster than my 98 ever was (I was burning Premium fuel..and that seemed to give me more power). I rarely race my truck..but once in a while some Shuvy owner or Dodge guy wants to go..so sure..I'll do it, but rarely. I bought my truck for the size (safety).

I appreciate your last post and look forward to chatting with you in the future!!!!!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

[

DFolk88 02-24-2000 07:59 PM

I think one thing to remember here is the phrase "apples to apples" which was stated earlier. There are so many factors that can differ between trucks (engine size, rear axle, maintenance, 4X4, racing knolledge and experience, etc) that can drastically effect comparing two trucks and a particular racing event. It is entirely possible that a 4.6 liter Triton can beat a Z71 with a 5.7 liter engine if one or more of the above factors are present on either or the trucks. Although, I believe a 5.7 would beat a 4.6 liter if all of the factors are held constant and both vehicles have proper maintenance. If Fast's 4.6 liter beats a Vortech 5.7 liter, that doesn't mean Ford makes the fastest engine of the two, it's not that simple. Besides, when have these things become race cars?

Nickster 02-24-2000 09:08 PM

Damn, I didn't mean to start all this B.S.!
Next time I beat a Z71, which I know WILL happen since this wasn't the first, I will refrain from posting it. And for the record, I didn't post this to impress anybody, since I don't know any of you fella's, I just wanted to let everybody know they're (Z71's) are beatable by our trucks. If you ever drive a chevy you'll notice that they're throttle response is mostly at the top of the pedal travel, which makes it seem soooo powerful, but as you're pedal goes from about half-way to full throttle theirs not nearly the power increase as the first half of the throttle. The ford is opposite, which makes for smoother, less jerky operation at normal driving, however you really see the power increase from about half-throttle to full-throttle. All I can say fella's is line 'em up and you'll see!!!

------------------
'97 Ford SC 4X4 XLT Off Road pkg., 4.6,A/OD, 3:55, premium sound w/CD chg, Black clct,towing pkg., hvy duty elec. pkg., Bridestone dueler AT's, line X, Flowmaster true duals, chip, K&N air filter, smittybilt stainless nerf bars

Dustoff 02-24-2000 09:19 PM

No problem Nickster...everything is 100% cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You did nothing wrong at all by starting this topic!!

------------------

Mike Boisclair 02-24-2000 11:04 PM

Hello,

For what it's worth, I see a lot of postings acknowledging that it doesn't seem possible that a 220hp Ford engine can beat out a 255hp Chevy engine!

I don't think I saw anyone mention that the advertised HP isn't always as it seems. I read an article titled, "Ford vs. Dodge vs. Chevy" (I believe that was the title) on the Truck Trend website. It basically compared the actual HP and torque for the largest available engines on the 1/2 ton trucks So the Chevy 5.3L was use, the 5.4L Triton, and the 5.9L Magnum was used.

I believe the results (according to the Dyno tests) were no where near the HP and Torque ratings claimed by the manufactures. However, despite the Vortec claiming to have the most HP of the 3, it actually faired the worst. The Triton was the best, followed by the 235hp Magnum.

Hence, all the stories do seem probable.

Have a read of the article if it's still posted on the Truck Trend site. It's quite good.

Mike

J-C 02-25-2000 12:25 AM

My middle school dropout can beat up your middle school citizen of the month.

fast46triton 02-25-2000 11:28 AM

Mike, hes got 265 hp {Superchip, Exhaust, Airfilter}.

Nickster,

You did NO wrong starting this topic, we just have some people who disbelieve it, thats all. I for one, believe you. Heck, Ive driven a 350 Chevy, and they do not seem that much faster AT all compared to my truck. Dont care what anyone says, it doesnt seem faster.

Pastmaster 02-25-2000 04:04 PM

I apoligize again for upsetting anyone. Different people have different attitudes. Yes Dustoff your right, the 2000 4.6L and the 99 5.4L were both under 50miles when I droven them... You should have heard them sizzle when I shut them off. I tend to have a heavy foot. Someday I will get anew truck. and you can bet, Ford will get the first vote.

As mad as I have had people on here, I was thinking someone would ring my doorbell with a baseball bat, and saying... so, you don't like Ford's huh??!?!?!

[This message has been edited by Pastmaster (edited 02-25-2000).]

Dustoff 02-25-2000 07:50 PM

No problem at all Pastmaster! We are all friends here!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

Hunter4X4 02-26-2000 04:09 PM

ummmm.... I would have to see it to believe it. I dont see how a 4.6!! could be at 5.7 in a chevy. Unless he was BONE stock and u had nitrous or something like that... then it would be pretty tough.. just my 2 cents

Hunter4X4 02-26-2000 04:14 PM

ummmm.... I would have to see it to believe it. I dont see how a 4.6!! could be at 5.7 in a chevy. Unless he was BONE stock and u had nitrous or something like that... then it would be pretty tough.. just my 2 cents

fordby4 02-26-2000 07:59 PM

I guess one of my all time favorite quotes applies here..

"Believe Nothing Of What You Hear, And Half Of What You See" - Bejamin Franklin

Wouldn't the world(and net) be a different place if people followed this?

[This message has been edited by fordby4 (edited 02-26-2000).]