5W-30 "Bulk" ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2001, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5W-30 "Bulk" ?

We took the truck in for an oil change, and got the 5w-20 replaced with 5w-30. The sticker they put on our window says 5W-30 BULK. What does bulk mean?

Old 10-13-2001, 04:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It means that it is house and they have alot of it some shops keep it in 55 gallon drums and pump it into the engine frome there hose and the oil is just plain oil not synthetic.

Old 10-13-2001, 07:46 PM
Oh ok.

We got 30 instead of 20, in hope of curing the high idle.

Old 10-14-2001, 10:15 AM
This is the reason why I change my own oil..... With those fast oil change places you never know....What kind of oil is in those 55 gallon drums....

I had a freind who worked at a well known popular one of these..... I will not comment on the Name of it......

He told me some scarey things...... Just because it says Quaker State or Pennzoil on the Barrel....Does not mean that is what is in it..........

I personally Use..... Mobil 1 Synthetic..... 5w-30 winter....10w-30 summer....

Old 10-14-2001, 11:30 AM
Oh, it says Valvoline on the thing.

Old 10-14-2001, 03:13 PM
Angry Watch Out For 5-Minute Oil Changes...

I won't mention the name of the huge Quaker State Oil Change place but everyone shops at their stores. I still have the little Ford Ranger that they ruined by not putting my oil filter on tight. I didn't notice that the oil had run on on the ground over the next 72 hours and then the engine ceased up on me.

They Ruined My Engine!!!!

The manager said they couldn't do anything about it. I am going to take them to small claims court in hopes of getting some satisfaction.

If I don't get any satisfaction out of them I will name them here to everyone. But, if they treat me right, and pay for the damages to my engine, I'll just write it off to some high school kid they hired to do sloppy work.

So, my advice is to check out for drips or oil running out from under your truck if you do go to those places. They are in a big hurry and "quick" takes presidence over "quality".

I am changing my own oil on my new F150.

BillVoyles

Last edited by Bill Voyles; 10-14-2001 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2001, 03:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats why when I go to them places I go at off peak times when there not in a big hurry also I have them put in oil out of bottles off the shelf not there house oil as I seen on something like dateline or one of them type shows where some places put in old used oil in them drums and when you get your oil change you may end up with used oil in your engine if you go with the bulk oil.

Old 10-14-2001, 03:37 PM
Oil Is The Least Expensive Part....

Hey guys ... let's face it ... oil is the least expensive part of owning a pickup. Why not use very the best oil in your expensive engine that money can buy? It's only a couple of bucks more than the cheapest oil on the shelf.

After your engine is completely broken in ... I recommend using one of the top quality 100% Synthetic Oils. It's the very least you can do to make that expensive engine last and last.

Personally, I like the original synthetic oil which is AMSOIL. They invented synthetic oil. They have years of research on all the rest of the pack. And when large trucking fleets are switching over to AMSOIL so they can extend engine overhauls from every 500,000 miles to over 1,000,000 miles, you know there must be something to it.

If you want to buy AMSOIL at dealer's cost, you can become a dealer for $20 per year. Get three of your friends to kick in $5 each and get one dealership so you can all buy at dealer cost.
Go to www.amsoil.com and check it out.

BillVoyles

Old 10-14-2001, 09:00 PM
AMSOIL didnt invent synthetic oil. About the only thing they did invent was a new twist on the old snake oil salesman.

Mobil, Chevron, Texaco all spend more money on research than AMSOIL ever has. What do you want to put in your engine? Someting with yesterdays technology, or somethign with the latest most cuttign edge technology?

I honest to god wish you AMSOIL people would take a clue and shut up. We are sick to death of you guys spoting on about AMSOIL.

Enough is enough guys.

Old 10-14-2001, 11:51 PM
I really think with the quickie lube places it really depends on who runs the place and who does the work. Up until I took ownership of my vehicle (was my comapny vehicle) the truck always went to a chain operated by Valvoline. I started doing my own changes to save my $ after I bought the truck. In any event, there were two locations I trusted, and the rest were a bunch of idiots. Always keep an eye on em, ijust in case...

Old 10-16-2001, 10:28 AM
cjwpdx

You obviously dont know what you are talking about. The only thing you are correct on is that synthetic oil was not invented by AMSOIL. However, they were the first ones to bring it to the automotive market.

"What do you want to put in your engine? Someting with yesterdays technology, or somethign with the latest most cuttign edge technology? "

What the heck do you mean by that statement. AMSOIL, Mobil 1 etc are all cutting edge technology. However AMSOIL is a little more so. What does MOBIL 1 call for on their oil change interval? 2-3 times the normal service change...only for NORMAL use, not severe. AMSOIL is unlimited with either service schedule. Call and ask MOBIL oil company if they would advocate running MOBIL 1 indefinately with good analysis results and if something happens to your motor that is oil related will they warranty it?
I have called, I have asked, and they have said NO. The exact words from the person was "We only warranty our synthetic oil as long as you follow the service schedule in your vehicles owners manual!!"

AMSOIL has their OWN warranty. If you use the proper oil, change the filters every 12,500 miles and send in an analysis and everything comes back good, they will TOTALLY warranty it if something happens oil related. All you have to do is send the parts and oil sample in with $15.00.

If you are tired of hearing the "AMSOIL spill", then I am sorry. MOBIL 1 IS a good oil, no arguments. But AMSOIL is better. Not an opinion. I have the facts that prove it.

Old 10-17-2001, 08:10 PM
What I was trying to say is that most of us are a bit tired of you AMSOIL snake oils sales guys rambling on and on and on about AMSOIL. I for one visit this place about once a week now because it seems like every engine question turns into an AMSOIL sales speach. In the past I came here every day.

Listening to you guys, it makes one wonder how any of us who don't use AMSOIL can keep an engine together longer than 12,000 miles.

Lastly, I know of a JD tractor engine that spun a rod bearing after using AMSOIL all of its 4,000 hours. AMSOIL wouldn't respond to calls or letters. So much for the warranty. I know this case is fact because I was the service manager of the dealership the tractor was repaired in.

Old 10-17-2001, 09:52 PM
cjwpdx

What you said still didnt address the things I was talking about. I am not saying that if you dont use amsoil that your engine will come apart sooner. I could care less if you use it or not.

I became an AMSOIL dealer to be able to purchase oil cheaper. Then I went on a mission to honestly and in depth research motor oil. I spent countless hours on the net and many phone calls with oil companies. I advocate it to a point because I honestly believe they have a great product. I also believe MOBIL 1 is a great product as well. Use what you want to use. If their is a conversation about a topic you dont wanna be part of just ignore it. Dont come on here and slam someone with false statements and personal opinions.

As for the JD situation. Did they send a sample, effected parts and $15 to amsoil? If so what were the results. If the problem wasnt due to the oil then they wont pay and shouldnt. If the person thought that it still was related have an independent company analyze it. What weight oil were they using? What filter interval? What analysis interval? What were the results? You gotta have more facts than just saying "it failed and they wouldnt pay...."

Thats like saying..."I had a car and it quit...ford wouldnt pay."

Old 10-18-2001, 04:26 AM
Hate to burst your bubble guy, but I have been a member of The Society of Tribolobists and Lubrication Engineers since 1992. You are not the only one that knows a few things about oil.

The JDs oil analysis was done by a Caterpillar dealer. Engine had approx. 250 hours on its oil change. Customer called AMSOIL, and we called them after it sat torn apart in our shop for a month. Nobody ever returned the calls. As far as sending them $15.00, I don't know, but if AMSOIL needs $15.00 from a customer whos engine they just ruined, thats very pathetic.

But, the reason I wrote my original reply was that I as well as lots of others are sick to death about the AMSOIL BS. Why dont you go start your own BB and spout off about AMSOIL all you want. The rest of us are sick to death of hearing about AMSOIL. You guys sound like Amway sales people, but i guess its about the same idea.

Old 10-18-2001, 11:59 AM
Thumbs down

Originally posted by cjwpdx
I honest to god wish you AMSOIL people would take a clue and shut up. We are sick to death of you guys spouting on about AMSOIL.

Enough is enough guys.
I agree on this one, i have often wondered why the webmaster allows these guys to put links in their sig and promote AMSOIL. That's great if your a dealer and you like it, but please don't try and sell it to those that aren't.

Tony

Last edited by tfratzke; 10-18-2001 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 5W-30 "Bulk" ?