Regular Bosch Platinum Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 08:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regular Bosch Platinum Plugs

I'VE READ ALOT OF POSTS ABOUT THE +4 PLATINUMS BUT WAS PLANNING ON USING THE REGULAR BOSCH PLATINUM PLUGS BECAUSE OF THE PRICE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THESE AND THE WAY OVER PRICED FORD DOUBLE PLATINUM PLUGS AT $10 EACH (CANADIAN). HAS ANYBODY USED THESE IN THERE TRITON ENGINES?

THANKS, MARK

Old 09-23-2001, 08:16 PM
I'm using these plugs in my gf's VW - and they work great. reduced pinging, and on a tank of hwy kms, they were getting about 40 more kms per tank.

Used to have to ride the clutch pretty good in reverse too - but that seems to have vanished.

No experience yet in my rig, but i imagine i'll be changing within the month - before my next drive to vancouver. - about 75k km on my truck right now.

Old 09-24-2001, 08:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I've got a set of +4's in the classifieds if it hasn't expired yet,for about $35 American(ad # 9999). They cost me $50 when I bought them,but I cannot find a shop who will use anything but the stock platinums,sigh. They are for a 4.6,but I'm not sure if both V-8's use the same plug. Check it out and see if they are the same plug and shoot me an e-mail,,,,98 gaml@earthlink.net

Old 09-25-2001, 04:38 PM
YOU MEEN TO TELL ME NOBODY ON THIS BOARD HAS TRIED THESE PLUGS IN THERE TRUCKS?

Old 09-25-2001, 05:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Sorry.....

Have not used these specific plugs in my truck, but have used them in another vehicle. They worked fine.

I have the +4's in my truck now and the only difference I could tell was having new plugs compared to old. As long as they are spec'd for your particular setup, they "should" be just fine. It's not like you are going to get any noticable HP increase from changing plugs anyway. You could lose HP because the plugs are worn out I'd guess.

Now, my question back is, what's wrong with the +4's? I got them because they cost a tad less then the Motorcrafts and I wouldn't have to worry about the gaps. The Motorcraft gaps were HUGE when I pulled them at 62k miles. I'd never let plugs go that long myself and changed them a week after buying the truck. I checked a +4 plug (the easy one!) after a couple thousand miles and it looked fine. Nice and tan and you could tell all four of the electrodes have been firing. I know only one will fire at a time, it just showed that they are all "sharing" in the work at some point.

Plugs are just like oil. Just use what you feel comfortable with. All you can do is get all the info you can and use that to make your own decision.

Old 09-26-2001, 08:21 PM
I installed Bosch Platinums on a 1999 F150 4.6 a few months ago. Before installing them, I was getting just under 300 miles out of a tank of gas. Immediately afterwards, I was getting about 340 miles out of a tank. I changed the plugs at around 56,000 miles. The stock plugs looked cruddy and the gaps were all over the place.

Recently, the truck has been a little sluggish and it has been running very rough at times. It's been getting progressively worse. Finally took it to Ford this morning. They hooked it up to the computer thing and did a road test on it. The computer didn't show any codes but after the road test, Ford said it needed new plugs and plug wires. Since I just did the plugs, I guess I'll change the plug wires and hope for the best. Ford quoted me $520(USA) to do the plugs and wires. Granted, the back 2 plugs are a nightmare but not $520 worth! With the right sized extensions, they are doable.

Old 09-26-2001, 11:59 PM
$520 for plugs and wires is a complete rip off. Go to shop where they know what they are doing for a decent price. I had mine done at a Ford Light and Medium Duty truck dealer where they work on these engines all the time. I got new plugs, wires, fuel filter, and air filter done for just shy of $275. They don't take that long of you know what you are doing.

Old 09-27-2001, 09:54 AM
Platinum spark plugs that have an adjustable gap should never be re-gapped after use. The platinum electrode becomes extremely brittle, and will likely break (usually out of sight) if re-gapping is attempted. If you don't intend on re-gapping them sometime down the road, go for it.

Take care
~Chris

Old 09-27-2001, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by sturg
The computer didn't show any codes but after the road test, Ford said it needed new plugs and plug wires. Since I just did the plugs, I guess I'll change the plug wires and hope for the best. Ford quoted me $520(USA) to do the plugs and wires. Granted, the back 2 plugs are a nightmare but not $520 worth! With the right sized extensions, they are doable.
Is it always necessary to change the wires at the same time you change the plugs? I'm at about 60,000, and was about to go ahead and either put in the Bosh +4 or Champion Truck plugs, but had not planned atleast on messing with changing the wires.
Should I reconsider?

Old 09-28-2001, 11:40 AM
I would. The best ignition system in the world won't do much good if the voltage can't get to the plugs.

Take care
~Chris

Quick Reply: Regular Bosch Platinum Plugs